1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Tire choices

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by alanolynn, Jul 8, 2020.

1. alanolynn

alanolynn New Member

Anyone here running "dual sport" tires on their XJ?

I have a couple set to go on my 650, and I'm really hopeful for what they'll do for me on all these nasty back roads.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Nasty back roads?

What sort?

Fire roads, gravel roads, dirt roads, sand?

3. alanolynn

alanolynn New Member

Nothing incredibly gnarly. Just not main roads. And in NNY, those roads end up having a lot of small pebbles and sand strewn about them.

I do occasionally take the bike out to my parents camp, and that is a dirt/gravel path.

It should be noted that the tires I'm putting on are far from what you'd find on a dirt bike. Just more aggressive than your typical street tires.

4. k-moe

In that case I'd recommend sticking to street tires. I rode street tires all the time on gravel/ dirt without issue (Western Kansas where the wind blows rocks onto paved roads all the time, and the liquid cow poo is plentiful). You have to keep in mind that dual sport tires are a compromise that will affect pavement riding as much as they do dirt/gravel riding. They will also not increase tire grip on paved roads that have pebbles on them; it'll still be like riding on marbles.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    alanolynn likes this.
  5. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

Same, unless you do as many miles on those type of roads as the street I wouldn't bother changing them

k-moe likes this.
  6. alanolynn

alanolynn New Member

That's the thing. Most of my travel is on those roads. I always try to stick to the twisty ones to really enjoy the ride, regardless of the lack of speed.

7. k-moe

If more than ~90% of your riding is on paved roads (regardless of road surface quality) then street tires are the best choice IMO (and I've tried both).

8. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

I have a gnarly dirt tyre on the rear of the GS, but not a full-on knobbly.
    Only reason I fitted it was it was an end-of-line special offer and it was a radial, and it was about half the price I expected.
    It's been fine.
    I had some notion that it would possibly help on some of the crappy roads around here, but I can't honestly say it's made the slightest difference. In all likelihood, if the bike started washing out from the front I'd be down anyway before the rear could play a part.
    In the meantime I'm enjoying the grip of the fact that it's a radial more than a semi-rough road tyre.

alanolynn likes this.
  9. alanolynn

alanolynn New Member

Well, they're on, and let me tell you...I am GLUED to the road! I'm sure they only feel great just because the others may have been original...'82.

I'm happy with the decision and am hopeful for they're usefulness.

Now, on to cleaning those carbs!

kosel and Dave in Ireland like this.