1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

To Paint or Not To Paint...

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by day7a1, Apr 14, 2010.

1. day7a1

day7a1 Member

I don't like chrome, really. Painting chrome, however, in say, a flat black, which is what I would like, seems like destruction of what otherwise would be perfectly good parts. Then again, it is MY bike, and probably will see the junkyard or parts bin by the time I sell it. And the only really good chrome part is the rear fender and header pipes, anyway, the rest is kind of messed up, but if I'm going to paint some chrome, it's all gettin covered up.

I also want to paint the engine, and have similar reservations.

Do you have any words that might make it easier to cover up chrome, or wisdom to discourage the same?

2. rkbonds1

rkbonds1 New Member

Are you planning on painting the tank, fenders, and side covers to match the rest of your work? Could be a really neat looking all black bike!!! Maybe leave a few aluminum pieces for accents ;-)

3. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Actually, I was thinking black with aluminum accents, but maybe leaving the tank bare metal with a clear coat only. Painting only the chrome and shiny parts. So the rear fender is black, the headers are black. I don't have shiny rear parts to the exhaust now anyway. The handlebars are going to be either brushed aluminum or black, i'm going to get dirt bike bars for the streetfighter look. The front fender is gone. I have it, its just not on. The carb caps will need to be painted. The side plates will be painted. The headlight will be painted or replaced, depending on time and $. Mirrors. Gauge backing and turn signal backing. Obviously the inner fork tubes will have to be shiny, but that's it. Maybe I'll wrap them to the point they bottom out, who knows. I want it to look rough. But run sweet.

I guess I'm just worried about messing up those parts and not being able to go back.

4. Palmer650

Palmer650 Member

Google "Painting over chrome" and you'll see what the most common ways are. Mainly you want to scuff the chrome up pretty good with a low grit paper, then apply a self-etching primer before painting. Here is the first search that came up and most of the others use a similiar technique...

http://www.ehow.com/how_4422511_paint-o ... rface.html

I would also hit up PainterD and ask him his thoughts. There are a couple great painters on this forum!

5. Militant_Buddhist

Militant_Buddhist Member

while you're trying to decided, surf/shop for already ugly replacement parts and try to arrange to sell your chrome. I agree in that I too am not too fond of chrome and that it's a shame to ruin nice parts that someone with different tastes will like. so try to work a swap where everyone gets what they want and maybe you'll pay for your paint with some coin in pocket.

6. WesleyJN1975

WesleyJN1975 Member

I agree. Sell your chrome parts for less "presentable" chrome parts that you can paint over. The money you make could go towards the cost of the build. Really nice chrome header pipes will pull in good money.

7. stanman26

stanman26 New Member

wow! i guess i also know what I'm going to my bike as well! ill just use this process to repaint all my stuff after I strip it all down... Nice link wes!

8. day7a1

day7a1 Member

I just looked up fenders in ebay, and the most expensive one is $25. I don't feel so bad painting over it, but I was also thinking about getting rid of it completely.

Any links to or words about options for removing the fender?

9. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

The front fender also works a bit as a fork brace.
    Why can't you paint the chrome with "bond-aid" without sanding, then you could strip the paint later?

10. day7a1

day7a1 Member

The front fender has already been removed. If I feel I need a brace I will use some other apparatus other than a fender. I like no fender.

I looked up bond-aid. Either you meant bondo, or I don't get what you're saying.

If you do mean bondo, I don't really feel all that work is necessary to save a $25 part. My other chrome parts are junk. Been down too many times.

But if someone here wants a perfectly good rear fender, you pay S&H both ways and we can swap. I'll of course send a picture.

11. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

"Klean Strip" makes bond aid
    Paint adhesion promoter

Not "Bondo"

12. day7a1

day7a1 Member

TIME...I googled Klean Strip bond aid and only came back with your post. I looked up their products, and only found paint strippers and the like. I saw something called Bulldog that seems from the same company and might be what you mean, but did they maybe change the name since you last needed the stuff? That would be quite helpful to not have to scratch up the chrome.

Is THIS the stuff you meant?

13. b0bv1la

b0bv1la Member

My 2 cents worth I like the black scheme for a bike but leave enough to polish to break up the scheme a bit. Sometimes a totally black bike just all blends together

14. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

OK- - I have 6 spray cans of Bond Aid that is no longer available,
    picked up as residual booty from a rental rehab. From 8 years ago.
    This stuff goes on as a flat clear, and bonds any paint to any surface.

I also have rolls of asbestos, an early Halon fire extinguisher that is deadly, and a Black Flag pump sprayer that may have DDT.
    But I'm a responsible adult.

15. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Clearly.

:)