1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

to spray... or not to spray....paint?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by robista361, Apr 14, 2006.

1. robista361

robista361 Member

Hey everyone! I've got a minor dilema. Not to long ago I purchased a 1986 maxim X. I've had lots of bikes,(all Yamahas) all were in great condition when I purchased them. This maxim x , being the first project bike of mine is now finally in good working order and goes great. Now though, I'm wanting to get rid of the old beat up, original paint job and would like to paint it. 1st problem is the cost of a new paint job. I never imagined that prepping and painting a bike would cost me $250.00 to $400.00!! I just wont have that kind of cash laying around anytime soon.The bikes paint is really faded and stone chipped. The guys who had it before me must not of ever done anything to the paint. My question finally is regarding spray paint. is it possible to achieve a really good quality rattle can paint job. Any opinions, tips or instuctions on how to achieve a great looking paint job for very little money would be greatly appreciated and welcome.

2. richard03

richard03 Member

Sorry - I can't help you on your question, but I am curious:

Are you going to be painting only the glossy stuff - fenders and tank?
    Or are you painting everything that was originally painted - including the block? Why or why not?

I am curious because I am considering the same thing. But I don't want to paint the glossy stuff because the original paint is in great shape - and looks awesome! It is the black with a very light blue flake.

3. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

Robista361;
    I bought my bike in October and it sounds like your tank was in the same shape as mine.
    I followed instructions on the xjcd, and painted my tank with spray cans.
    Well judge for yourself, you can see some pics here at this link and in my photo gallery. I think it came out fantastic. Paint, sandpaper and swirl remover cost around $50.00.
    I"m in the process of painting another tank right now. Silver metalflake.
    I hope it comes out as well. I'll be priming it tomorrow.
    PM me if you have any questions.

Richard03; My tank was black with the blue specs also, and would have loved to have kept the same color. but I couldn't get paint that color in a spray can. So I went with the gloss black.
    I put 4 coats of primer, 5 coats of black, and 5 coats of clear coat.
    I bought my paint at advance auto parts. Dupli-Color Brand.
    You can see there paints here.

www.duplicolor.com

http://www.slygrin.net/xjpics/html/rblankenship_2.html

4. Jazzmoose

Jazzmoose Member

Wow. It's one thing to read the XJ cd and think it can be done; it's quite another to see actual results. Beautiful, Rich!!

5. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

Thanks Mark, It was alot of work but well worth it in the end.

6. Robert

Robert Active Member

Wow Rich, beautifully done! I have never seen spray can turn out that well! Robista, PJ1 makes an excellent paint line. I've used their Case Black on engines (stuff is harder than nails, I couldn't clean a whoops out with any type of solvent I tried, MEK, acetone, laqour thinner, paint thinner, mineral spirits, you get the picture). I have used their Satin and Gloss Black for touch up on frames and parts. Beautiful stuff but it runs about $8 USD a can. If I were to do my frame on the cheap, that is what I would use. I however have chosen the powder coat system because of it's durability. You can have your own powder coating system for about $80 from Harbor Freight. Eastwood sells one too at twice the price. But that route would require you to blast, clean and shoot your own frame as well a get the powder baked on. It can be done at home but to get the InfraRed lamps is an expense of it's own. $400 is not bad when you consider what all goes into it. Check out this thread Sand blasting and Powder coating How much should it cost on the XJ Chat forum. It goes into detail on the in's and out's of do it yourself powder coating and painting. Good luck!

7. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

Check this out. You can watch a video on how it works too.
    Couple problem's, 1) your Limited to size unless you build your own oven large enough for a frame.
    2) Who has a spare oven laying around?
    I guess you could buy a used one cheap.
    I just thought it was kinda neat.
    Safe for the enviroment, sweep up the mess and thro it in the trash.

8. Robert

Robert Active Member

The oven is nice but InfraRed lamps can be used, just bake one section at a time. This is how you do automobile frames at home. It is expensive in terms of initial cost and then the amount of electricity used. It will be noticable. I was able to source a used electric oven (220 VAC is a lot cheaper than 110 in terms of electricity useage) for free when someone remodeled their house. One of the benifits of living in suburbia. If I were in B.F. Egypt, I suppose that would be a bit more challenging. Do NOT use the oven in the house or a gas unit (the curing gasses could cause health issues and your wife would never forgive you for ruining her oven). I've yet to break out my powder coating system and use it, I've just been to occupied with other issues in life. I will get to it this summer (at least if I've got anything to say 'bout it). Rich, I think your link didn't get through, could you please repost it? Thanks again.

9. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

10. Robert

Robert Active Member

Yup. Link worked nicely. Thanks. I've got the whole ball of wax, just need to get off my butt and use it.

11. robista361

robista361 Member

thanks, jdrich48 and everyone else ! how and where did you get your xjcd explaining the process. Ive talked to a lot of bodyshops around here getting estimates for a new paint job and every one of them recomend not to do it with a spray can.They say " it wont last" and "it will curdle up when to hot, or if you spill a little gas on it", that "it will rust through in a year", and last but not least, "a professional paint job will never stick to a rattle can job". All so negative. looking at you paint job is definatley inspiring.A very nice job indeed! Is there any way you can walk me through the steps? Any one else out there with pics and experiences with a rattle can paint job? How long should they last?

12. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

Here's a few pics of the work I done this morning, on the tank I'm painting now.
    I'm using a self etching primer, for bare metal. It has maximum adhesion & corrosion resistance. Also made by Duplicolor.
    The paint will be Silver specks acrylic lacquer.

When I'm finished this tank will be for sale.
    If anyone might be interested, and would like it painted another color. Let me know in the next week, or it will be silver speck.
    I also have both petcocks, cap & key, fuel sending unit, and the emblems.
    Once painted I cannot ship for at least 3 weeks, due to letting the paint cure. OR... you could buy it know and have it painted yourself. Save me alot of work:)

This tank fits an 82 XJ1100J Markings on the emblem mounts are 10M, which designates the model

Attached Files:

13. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

Robista361;
    The new xjcd ver.4 can be ordered probably next week. It's the newest version.
    Don't leave home without it.
    It's an excellent piece of equipment to own.
    Well worth the $10.00
    http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic ... .html#5114

I'm not a real paint person, but if it's preped right any good paint should work. I wouldn't put to much into what that guy told you. But then again my paint has only been on a few months, time will tell. It might fall slam off next week, but I will have learnt something, and had a nice looking tank for a few months anyway:)
    But if you can't afford a professional job, and this only last 2 years for $50.00 you really haven't lost anything, and in 2 years you might be able to afford a prof. job.

PM me with your email addy and I'll send you a copy of the article.

I did get some gas on my tank about 5 weeks after I painted it. and it did leave a spot. But some wax took it right out. Keep in mind the paint was still pretty fresh, given time to cure the clear coat should hold up fairly well.
    Acrylic lacquer was used on automobiles for years and held up quite well.
    I really wouldn't be afraid of trying it( apparently).
    Just keep to the instructions and you won't have a problem.
    Keep in mind that it's alot of work, but all the prep work is what makes it turn out so well.
    Good luck whatever you choose.
    Happy trails

Or you could choose to run around with a tank that looks like this.

Attached Files:

14. iwasatoad

iwasatoad Member

auchely i watched a guy paint a 67 mustang GTA fast back with a paint roller and small foam brush and he has one 4 trophies for the paint job and i helped a friend paint his S-10 5 years ago with a rattel can and some enamel or gloss coat stuff in a can and his truck still shines and he goes mudding with it so i think a rattel can on a bike that hopfely is cleaned every time it gets dirty should out last the 5 years

15. secaman

secaman Member

i have painted my trucks with a paint brush!

it dont come out as nice as w/a paint gun

but i did it to protect it and not for aesthetical reasons!

ai have thought about using a roller, does it really work?

how do u get a roller paint all shiney n'stuff? :)

16. iwasatoad

iwasatoad Member

well he just mixed the paint till he liked it put some metal flakes from a grinder in with it and roled it on then let it dry and did it over and over like 10 times and then he got that gloss coat stuff and sprayed it on the car and panels and left it it looked nice (the paint colors he mix i think were black,maroon,red,blue,ornge and just put the dust stuff from the grinder in with it and roled it on

17. secaman

secaman Member

nò polishing and rubbing?

did he use primer first?

i wanna try that on my jeep!

if u have more info i would appreciate it.

thx

18. iwasatoad

iwasatoad Member

i dont know what type of paint it was he said he bought it at the hardware store but he wouldent tell his secret. and the gloss coat stuff i guess you can buy in a rattel can dont know how much he used or where he got it or how much it cost but it looks nice he said he spent less than $300 to paint the car. afraid i dont know rember any thing els he said but he said you haf to use the right kind of paint but he wouldent tell me what kind.

i know it came in paint can's like what you would get house paint or paint thiner and stuff in but i guess that dosent narrow it down sorry

19. secaii

secaii New Member

I just started "Spray" painting my XJ 600 after my crash. After I get it finished (Clear coat) it will look really good. So far it is only semi glossy because of the lack of clear coat.

20. robista361

robista361 Member

cool secaii ! post some pics when your finished, so we can see how it came out. What color are you going with?