1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Took my first ride 82 xj650

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by efigalaxie, Jul 22, 2009.

1. efigalaxie

efigalaxie New Member

Both brakes are weak. Motor is strong, but idles high after warming up. Seat hurts my rear after 20 miles. My right hand starts aching after 20 miles.

I wish to be able to ride in comfort for 200 miles. What are your suggestions for the comfort related issues? I am thinking about new lines, pads, and fluid for the front brakes. For the rear, if the 'drum is worn beyond tolerance, is the 'drum integral to the wheel or can it be replaced without replacing the wheel? The PO (my soon to be step father in law) stated that the shoes were new, but that the drum is about worn out. When the rear brake pedal is pressed, the wear arrow points beyond the wear mark.

I am going to do some research in this forum for answers to my questions. However some of you may have more up to date info, so I am asking here as well.

2. albran

albran Member

What style bars on your 82?
    Have they been changed?

ab

3. bill

bill Active Member

Congrats on the ride.

Drum is part of the wheel - I find it hard to believe it is that worn - how many miles?

Foam or better grips may help the hand - do you grip too tight? It's a habit some folks have.

Idle high after warm up is an adjustment - supposed to adjust the idle at operating temp. This means you will have to use some enrichment at start up.

Seat could be you getting used to it or worn out foam. I have done 200 miles in a day several times - yes your Butt gets a bit sore but not intolerable and I have shaved a couple of inches of foam out of my seat from the stock configuration.

4. CJ06XLT

CJ06XLT Member

My first ride was about 100 miles on my Seca. My butt doesn't get sore anymore, but i haven't gone more than 50 or so without a stop. We usually take a break every now and then.

My wrists also get a little uncomfortable, my bike has the stock handlebars on it, which I find to be not good for me. I'd like a little higher, more swept bars, more like the second pic posted above.

I found that bigger diameter grips helped a lot. My bike had some nasty beat up red ones on it, which were about as thin as you can get. I found a set at the local shop which were about 1/8" diameter bigger, they made a huge difference as now I don't have to close my hand so much.

I too would like any info on replacement bars anyone has!

5. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Stuck some foam grips on and my bike feels much better under my fingertips. Shame they'll wear out in a year or two. Oh well. 12 bucks on JC whitney
    If my butt starts getting sore I just ride on the queen seat for a bit. Stretches my legs out too. Looks silly, but then I'm good to go for another 40-50 miles.
    Need to change seat foam. I hear that really helps out!
    -SLK

6. coachholland

coachholland Member

Agreed on the foams. They will wear out fairly quickly, but at the price and how easy it is to change them out, I don't mind dropping less than $15 on them every few years.

7. MoralDK

MoralDK Member

I have one of those cheap plastic "cruise control" throttle clamps and I love it. It allows you to rest your throttle hand. Also, I have a pair of highway pegs on my crash bars. For long rides, all you need is one other position to set your feet and your good for a whole day of riding without discomfort.

MoralDK
    '82 XJ750 Maxim

8. jdpesz

jdpesz Member

There are forward controls available for the Maxims on Ebay, but highway pegs are less costly, easier to install, and more versatile, as you can return to the stock pegs any time. The foam grips helped me a lot also. I am also thankful for my custom saddle. That might be worth looking into.