1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Tour Tank - External fuel tank mod - anyone have?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by samtidor, May 13, 2008.

1. samtidor

samtidor Member

Found this product and was curious if anyone on this site has used this or something similar to extend the range of their XJ?

http://www.tourtank.com/

Thoughts? Suggestions? Opinions?

2. RangerG

RangerG Member

I think that the tank on my bike runs out of fuel at the just the right distance. My butt is in need of a break by then! And I'm old so I need to pee lots. Watch "Wild Hogs" and you'll see what I mean.

3. Deathmetaldan

Deathmetaldan Member

i was going to use a small keg type tank underneath the headlight since im running a smaller sportster gas tank. guess i should have sold that idea

4. ArizonaSteve

ArizonaSteve Member

I've been looking at air tanks they sell at hardware stores and Walmart for $15-$19 that hold 5-7 Gal. and thinking that would make a good aux. tank especially since I'm considering converting to F.I. and need a place to mount the fuel pump. The round pump from a GSXR600 would fit neatly into the end of one of those tanks if it were mounted vertically.

5. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Just went 212 miles, without hitting reserve, 4.3 gallons = 49 MPG.
    On 4 tanks I got 50 , 49 , 46 , 49 MPG and I haven't babied it.

Seca 900 4 into 1 header, holes drilled in airbox, 25,000 miles, have not looked in carbs for jet size or mods. (yet) Bike seems otherwise original.

A converted airtank might look a bit ugly, but a custom made backrest / aux. tank would work (all vertical)

6. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    The problems with Aux tanks is getting them to work perfectly. In theory it all should be simple... but the trick is the petcock. You can have your tank above the standard tank, and a valve to switch between tanks. Seems to be the easiest way.

In different configs people have had:
    - the top tank over flow the stock tank
    - the top tank to not fully empty
    - the system to operate in prime only mode (Improper venting?)

If you have a 650 maxim consider the 750 maxim tank - IIRC nearly 10 Litres extra space and is a stock replacement.

If you go with the Aux tank find a good resource to get it setup right. I have heard a number of problems, enough so that I don't bother and live with my 300km range.

Another solution that with care can work quite well. cut the bottom 2/3 of the tank off. Splice in a 2-4" band of metal. Weld the seem VERY carefully, paint.

Now you've added quite a few more gallons, and have a stockish looking tank. Some guys are running big enough tanks to get 500+km ranges. Crazy.

7. kciv

kciv New Member

Or simply carry a jerry can. Pull off to the side of the road and refill. The gas will cost as much as the can. Use only while touring.

8. woot

woot Active Member

:D If you want to carry a jerry can be my guest! :D

I'm not carrying a can on a bike that sometimes gets parallel to the road surface ;)

9. gcrick

gcrick Member

Aw, come on! You doubt carrying a heavy metal can high on your bike improves steering geometry and stability? Or dislike the flashy way sparks fly as a can full of gas scrapes the road in a spill?

Hey, you're the Woot! Not the Wuss! ... an XJ Moderator knows no fear! - Just kidding :D Smart is good!

Do like idea of extended range when touring. But though "Touring Tank" cutover sounds handy, a small fire-safe spare can is probably enough since not doing real long haul again.* Will also keep eye out for affordable 750 tank. Might be fun to fix up/paint separately, then put on my 650Max for longer rides.

* BTW, never believe anybody who sez the ALCAN stays well paved each spring. Two undeniable forces of Nature are frost heaves and rising gas prices.

10. woot

woot Active Member

:D

If I carry an aux fuel tank it will be on the tail of the bike with quick disconnects and held on with 30 year old duct tape. That way if I have an accident it will fly away from me.

If I get a left turning van - I want my gas tank to fly off my bike into the van. That'll make them pay attention next time ;)

I have on occasion had my bike leaned over hard enough to drag plastic. If that were to be a fuel tank it would be a scary moment! (Or a new yamaha r6- the tank extends past the frame and more than one has caught fire during a low side)

I ride with caution - well a fair amount of it ;) A flaming gas tank just seems like a bit much ;)