1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Trick turn signal & taillight wiring question

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by k.joel.porter, Apr 4, 2010.

1. k.joel.porter

k.joel.porter Member

I'm thinking about getting these to clean up the back of my bike. They are dual filament turn signals/taillamps with red lenses. If I get two of them can they be wired so the low-watt filaments act as the tail lights while the high-watt filaments act as both brake and turn signal lights? I'm thinking similar to mid-90's GM vehicles like my in-law's Suburban. It only has two dual-filament taillight/turn signal bulbs that work cooperatively. They are lit when the lights are on and brighten when the brakes are applied. If they have a turn signal on while braking one side stays lit as a brake light while the other side flashes for the turn signal.

Is this possible to do on the XJ? If so, how should it be wired?

2. johno8

johno8 Member

I have done the exact setup on my Maxim-X. The dual filament bulbs on the rear of the bike act as running lights normally, and then get brighter when the signal light switch is activated, or when I hit the brakes, both light up bright along with the brake light. The mod was real easy...I bought a trailer wiring conversion kit which I then wired into my rear light harness. The kit cost $15 at Princess Auto.

3. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

I'm about to do the same thing. I ordered similar looking lights off ebay. Keep us posted if you do it.

4. k.joel.porter

k.joel.porter Member

That makes sense now that you mention it. I didn't think of this before (obviously). Does that allow for turn signals to flash while you're braking?

5. johno8

johno8 Member

Yes it does which is why this mod makes a lot of sense...so easy to do, and adds a safety component for those behind you. BTW, on the unit I installed, there were 2 output wires I didn't need to hook up, so don't be worried that you've done something wrong, you haven't.

6. munkiep

munkiep Member

johno... diagram? pics? part #'s?

7. johno8

johno8 Member

8. iwingameover

I ordered one of the trailer things now because that looks easy.

My lights came in today and they have only two wires. It says dual filament right on the package. Are they grounding through the housing? Or did I get the wrong ones? Anyone know?

9. johno8

johno8 Member

The lights I'm using had 3 wires. Yours could be grounded through the housing. Look at the bulb...if there's 2 filaments you're ok. If only one, then you're not. Is there a diagram or installation sheet in the packaging?

10. k.joel.porter

k.joel.porter Member

That's exactly what I was thinking... I imagine there should have been three wires: two leads, one per filament, and one return.

Although, considering my background as a general contractor, I tend to think in house-wiring... so I'm probably wrong anyway!

11. johno8

johno8 Member

Did you check the bulbs?

12. munkiep

munkiep Member

alot of lights ground thru the housing, if there is a third wire then it is probably a independent ground wire. i'm still lost on my conversion, i got basically the same thing and hooked it up how i should, but all i get is tail lights, no brake or turn. but i get turn if i ground the brake wire with a test light and i get brake light if i ground the turn lights with the test light, but never both simultaneously :?

13. johno8

johno8 Member

Can you post a picure or a diagram of how you wired it in? Mine worked out perfect so we could compare layouts to solve your issue.

14. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

A Signal Dynamics Model 4710 -- "Run~Brake~Turn" Unit will do the trick ... and, ... give you some added Bells and Whistles to click On or Off, all in small module you can fit under the seat.

A marvel of electronic wizardry, this module makes single filament or single circuit turn signals on the rear of the bike function as running lights, turn signals, and brake lights!

The module wires in beneath your seat and is intended for use with L.E.D's, Silver Bullets or any other custom turn signals you have installed on your bike.

The unit will work fine with stock turn signals as well.
    The unit has an optional rapid brake flasher that, when activated, will flash the brake lights 5 or 6 times then stay-on solid.

This Unit is made by the Company which introduced the BACK-OFF Brake Light Modulator and the Head Light Modulator.

http://www.customdynamics.com/tailconve ... ontroller_

15. k.joel.porter

k.joel.porter Member

Correct me if I'm wrong (please do, I'm still learning!) but don't our bikes already have a flasher module? Wouldn't having a second flasher interfere with the first?

That unit does look great, however. How does it compare with the trailer modules that we've been talking about? In other words, why would I spend $60+ on this when a $15 trailer module does virtually the same thing?

16. iwingameover

I opened up mine yesterday when I got home. Dual filaments. So I'm going to guess grounds to the housing. When I get them over to the shop later I'll power them up and see.

17. johno8

johno8 Member

Sounds like you'll be ok!

18. johno8

johno8 Member

The unit Rick is talking about has the additional feature of flashing your brake lights to give more warning to those following you. If safety is your concern (as it is mine), that unit would replace the 2 units I now have with just one. Less electronics to have problems with. I have a brake modulator ($40) plus the trailer module ($20)...adds up to the same amount. Having said this, if all you can afford is the trailer conversion module, then just get it as it's still more safety visibility than not.

19. k.joel.porter

k.joel.porter Member

D'oh... homer simpson moment... I must have misread the first description thinking that it flashed the 5-6 times with the turn signal which, in retrospect, doesn't make sense and rightfully so! Thanks for clarifying!

20. iwingameover

I checked mine with my circuit tester. Grounds to the housing. So now should I ground the ground wires from the original harness?