1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Try to decide direction to go

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Andrew Wisenbaugh, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Andrew Wisenbaugh

Andrew Wisenbaugh New Member

So I have recently acquired a 81 xj650 and have it running on its own power and just awaiting carb kits to come in and was wondering where I want to take this bike. I keep tossing around the idea of turning it more towards the scrambler or bobber side but not really sold on either. The xj in question is shaft driven (to be fair new territory for me as I have really only dealt with chain drive) and was not sure besides the diffrence in weight if there would be any other issues going the scrambler route. Like I will say I'm open to ideas even to go as far as doing a Cafe racer style but looking for some outside input before I start changing things as at the moment and frame modifications would have to be held off for a short time. Any advice or help towards making the decision is greatly appreciated.

2. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

In my opinion, and its just an opinion, the shaft bikes (all shafties not just the xj) don't lend themselves well to conversion to bobbers or scramblers. Cafe racers, with minimum mods maybe. Google some pics, let your eyes decide.
    Flat bars, short seat, 4 into 1, thats about it for me.

3. Andrew Wisenbaugh

Gotcha. I will have to do a little looking. I know the kits arrive Tuesday so I have a little time before making the final decision.

4. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Sell it and buy a 650 'Seca'.. Came ready from the factory with Cafe type styling - just add clip-ons and a bikini fairing if that's your bag.

Simmy likes this.
  5. Andrew Wisenbaugh

I mean I could. Just hard some of the ones in my local area have been clapped out and needed more work than the one I picked up. I had been looking at two Seca units but backed down when I seen some of the shotty work the one did to it (replaced whole harness with no color code, bad connections, fixed welds on it with how bad those were Stevie Wonder could have done better and a few other problems) Other bike would of been better off as a parts bike with having no crank and gouges in the cylinders (took my bore scope to take a good look at it hoping it was not that bad), and lots of missing parts. Honestly even though the bike I have here right now needs a new back tire (side wall cracking but tires are about a year old based on stamping), little cracking in the seat material, new bell for the exhaust (not really bad, very small about half the size of a penny) and needing a jet due to one being missing (just picked up 4 kits and doing those on monday might as well do all of them while I'm there) it honestly is not bad off, little frame clean up and fluid change and it will be good to go. Just really trying to make the decision on it. Honestly been thinking maybe keeping it mostly stock with small modifications like a diffrent seat, diffrent sissy bar (maybe a high riser as the wife is excited and wants to ride with me once in a while), fix the exhaust (maybe a 4 to 1 instead of a 4 to 2), mirrors as they are starting to haze around the edges pretty bad, maybe a change to the shifter and choke set up and maybe a lighting change (Honestly only light I really want to replace is the back one the rest look good on it). Then probably send the tank out in the winter for either a repaint or touch up to it if I can not get the paint to clean up good. Sorry if this is a bit long winded been bored out of my mind being stuck at home till Wednesday and do not have much to do till the parts I ordered come in on Sunday.

6. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Bars and seat, then maybe go to seca foot pegs, brake and gear shifter. That would be it for me - unless you want a seca rear wheel to balance it all up a bit.