1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Tuning sans colourtune

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Littleberg, May 13, 2008.

1. Littleberg

Littleberg New Member

What is the best process for tuning a bike without using a colourtune. I'm specifically referring to the adjustment screws on the bike. Like, do you turn the screws to the right until it begins to stutter, then to the left until it begins to stutter, then place it somewhere in the middle??
    This is my first time doing this, but I would really like to get my bike tuned in for the summer. Thanks

2. ArizonaSteve

ArizonaSteve Member

Yeah, that's it pretty much, set the screws to the center where it runs best.
    When you go out it will slow down as it gets too rich and as you go in it will reach a point where the engine cuts out due to lack of fuel. I've found the best place is to go in until it starts to cut out then back out about 1/2 turn where it runs the best without wasting fuel. It's hard to hear the difference with a 4 cylinder but it can be done with practice.

3. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

That would be a good start for the beginning of tuning. Then fine-tune by ear, if you can,(turning each screw in smaller arcs until you find the sweet spot where there is no idle change) then ultra fine tuning is by reading the color of the plugs after riding, and turning the screwdriver blade "the width of a nickel, or a dime".

I read your other post--did you just wake the beast? You might need to run some good gas thru it, or clean your pilot circuits/jets/wells-etc.