1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Turning it 550Seca into a bike for racing

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by robvoi, Jul 24, 2013.

1. robvoi

robvoi Member

I have a '81 550 Seca (having grown up in Germany, speed is part of my DNA); unfortunately a speed limit of 60 mph and heavy traffic most of the time doesn't make for enjoyable riding.
    I want to make some modifications so that I can join AMA and do some classic/vintage bike racing.
    I am looking for suggestions of what other members have done and what material/parts they have used.
    Thank you all.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The first thing to do is contact the AMA and get hooked up with someone who is racing in your area. The best advice will come from someone who you can meet with in person.

3. robvoi

robvoi Member

Thank you!
    I am looking for bike modification tips as ell.

4. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

Check out some of my profile and posts, I have quite a bit of info here and there.

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Once you find out what the rules are for the potential classes you'll be running in, you'll discover the easiest mod is to dig up an FJ600 motor to drop in there.

Actual Hi-Po parts like rods and pistons, in a lot of cases, aren't allowed anyway.

Figure out what series and class you'll be running in, and taylor the mods to the rules.

Depending on your location, WERA may be more easily accessible than AHRMA. Member Dinoracer also raced a 550 Seca in So Cal events, not sure what series.

I never ran Jap fours, just British twins; and that was some years ago, when I was still invincible.

Do your homework, then go for it. Good luck.

6. robvoi

robvoi Member

Awesomeness on a Wednesday evening.
    THANK YOU all