1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Upper engine ticking knocking noise

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Seca82DC, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Seca82DC

Seca82DC New Member

Hey everyone
    I have an 82 Seca 550 with around 14k miles. After it a fews miles of riding, after it warms up really well, it develops a ticking knocking noise that comes from the upper left (shifter side) of the engine and the noise increases with rpms. By the way I have an after market exhaust. I loosened and re-tightened the chain tensioner.
    Does anyone know what this might be or suggestions?
    Thank you!

2. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Check those valve adjustments, they are critical for a quiet and well running engine. Did you follow the procedure in the manual to adjust the can chain tensioner? Turning the engine to the "C" mark on the timing wheel?

3. Seca82DC

Seca82DC New Member

Yes I did turn the engine to the "c" mark while adjusting the cam chain tensioner, should I adjust the valve clearances next? Could anyone point me in the direction of a good link on how to do this?

4. charlie3

charlie3 Member

5. Seca82DC

Seca82DC New Member

Thanks guys,
    I was a little concerned when I first purchased my bike b/c I haven't seen many around. Happy to see there is a strong community.
    great forum.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

at 14K you definitely want to check the valve clearances. The "how to" was done on a 550 Seca, you should feel right at home.

You could also have an exhaust manifold gasket leak (at the head.) These often manifest themselves in exactly the symptoms you describe.

DO NOT start "cranking on" the exhaust flange nuts however, they're only supposed to go to 7.2 ft/lb. Just be sure none are loose.

7. amfmtxca

amfmtxca Member

That what it sounds like I had a Chevy 454 with headers that the exhaust manifold bolts would back off and develope that ticking noise, I did not get to it right away and I had to replace the manfold gasket. I was told when I went to get the gaskets that I would have to do the original tightening then again after the first time I drove it tighten them again and then again after about a week of driving tighten them again and ALWAYS tighten with a torque wrench, and tighten every 6 months of daily driving. I know a Chevy is not a Yamaha but an exhaust leak is an exhasust leak

8. Chuck25

Chuck25 Member

I have noticed that on mine and I felt an exaust leak I will check that tomorrow