1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

[VIDEO] XJ650LJ seca Turbo "flyby" hear turbo & surge valve

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by turbobike, Feb 26, 2008.

1. turbobike

turbobike Member

I washed my bike today, out in 35 degree weather! Sun was shining so it wasn't so bad, and i had a bucket, rag, and towel, and hand-washed everything.

Made it look alot nicer! With the fairigs on I wanted to see how it'd be vs without them. and I thought i'd play with the camera abit and learn Cinelerra for video production.

a quick portion is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNTixVa71WI

Hope you enjoy!

2. GrimmRider

GrimmRider New Member

Re: [VIDEO] XJ650LJ seca Turbo "flyby" hear turbo & surge va

Wow, that thing sounds like one MEAN machine! I love the sound of it! Is that the stock bypass valve vented atmospherically? I have heard saab's and porsches with VERY tight Bosch bypass valves that can really let that flutter sound loud.

Now I really do think my 1200 is going to end its life boosted.

+1 for the vid! Awsome stuff!

Grimm

3. johnnyb

johnnyb New Member

looked really slow but i love the turbo noises :)

4. turbobike

turbobike Member

it was slow.

I made a 0-85mph vid, that's still slow.

who knows how fast it is.

5. Deekthecatt

Deekthecatt Member

I have a turbo Seca also, do I need to modify anything to get that noise or does it do it on its own?

6. turbobike

turbobike Member

that was pre-rebuild, after the rebuild the turbo unit was working @ full capacity and the surge valve noise was alot louder.

Mods are the air-box has been hacked up so the filter is more of and 'open element' filter.

I would like to point out though, that this surge valve, is not a replacement or such for the wastegate.

I've read alot of threads where people disable the wastegate to attain higher boost and believe that the surge valve will handled psi levels. two different things that happen to share a common goal.

Wastegate manages the speed of the compressor wheel. so when it reaches the stock 7psi, wastegate opens allowing exhaust to flow around. keeping the compressor wheel at a more constant level, and more often then not will drop a bit.

When the wastegate is shut, the turbo spins with the exhaust always and under fullboost can overboost and completely damage things. There's no 'stop' limit and it'll do 15-16psi peak. a "manual boost controller' can be used to adjust psi levels, as well as an electric one.

I plan on installing an electric controller this summer. I had one on my 3000gt VR4 that i loved and work work awesome.

As for the surge valve, same thing as the modern blow-off valve. When the turbo's at full speed, it's blowing alot of air. The engine sucks it up because the throttles opened, but when you release the throttle, the butterfly valves close but the turbo's still pushing that air.

That excess gets released via the surge valve, in a 'closed atmosphere' system. It goes back into the air-intake system.

The turbo cars that have been modified usually have an open atmosphere system where the valve releases into the engine bay. This really only provides the louder sound, as your fuel management has already calculated for that air.

I hope i didn't just ramble on for a while, and that made sense.