1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wanted: 80 XJ650 engine/transmission

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by shasta420, Aug 7, 2022.

1. shasta420

shasta420 New Member

Looks like ive got some internal problems in my transmission. My mechanic says it’s too costly and time consuming to split the case, so I’m in search of a whole unit I can swap in. I’m located in Ohio but willing to travel somewhat if need be. Prefer to stay with the 650 engine.

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. What problems did you have that led to this conclusion? Was your machine stuck in gear for example? Is the engine out of the frame now? What mechanical knowledge do you have? Splitting the case is not so difficult if you have some understanding of how motorcycles work.

3. shasta420

shasta420 New Member

I recently bought it with a shifter issue. Previous owner said it would go into first gear and neutral but that was it. Which seemed to be true when I picked it up. My guy says it’s not the shifter but it’s inside the case. I don’t have a lot of motorcycle experience but I’ve worked on cars for years and do factory maintenance for a living, so I’m sure I could tear it down and see what exactly it is, but it’s more of a time thing for me. And no the bike is still complete.

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The problem with buying another engine can be the guide inside is the original and will therefore fail sooner or later and you have another locked gearbox. A common problem on our bikes is the alternator/starter clutch chain guide breaking up. Given your background I think you could repair it yourself. Have a look at this thread it is for roadside repairs but you can use it to check the guide. What happens is the guide breaks up with age not miles and eventually bits of plastic get into the gears and selector drum locking the machine in gear. Many of us have had to split the cases I have done mine and @Jetfixer has pictures he took when splitting the cases to replace the starter clutch. If you do decide to repair your machine there is plenty of help here and @Mezzmo has a channel on youtube I will post the link and you will have his excellent video channel (Mezzmo Engineering) to show you how to do all of the work. Replace the guide and bolts and the starter clutch springs, dowels and bolts. In the meantime have a look at this and check your oil for plastic fragments.

https://www.xjcd.org/emergency_guidectomy

Chacal aka Len this site vendor has all the parts you need, and expert advice. You can contact him on info@xj4ever.com

shasta420 likes this.
  5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

@Mezzmo engineering. Here is the engine stripdown video from Mezzmo.

shasta420 likes this.
  6. shasta420

shasta420 New Member

Thank you so much for the help and the links!!! I already have a parts bike with a bad motor so I could tear that down for practice and see how it goes. Still gonna shop for an engine but this has definitely helped push me to at least take a look at it and do some of it myself. Thanks also for the member reference. Can use all the help possible lol. And I’ve already purchased the oil filter adapter from Len, so we have already met kind of lol. Thanks for all the help so far!

7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

One of the members here might have a good engine put an ad in the wanted section if you want.

8. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I have done twostaeter clutch replacement, splitting the case and a couple of hundred bucks worth of parts replacement is going to be cheaper than buying a used engine . You don’t know what condition a replacement is in . I agree with Franz sounds like your chain guide is breaking up , good chance a chunch is jamming a gear in transmission. Please note the engine and transmission use the same oil . You can remove the exhaust system and drain the oil and pull the oil sump not real easy but if you find pieces in bottom of oil sump this is your problem . Unlikely but possible if you have a gear that has been chipped but unless you split the case you won't know. See my thread on the dreaded starter clutch I have pictures of the case split apart .

Attached Files:

shasta420 and Franz like this.
  9. shasta420

shasta420 New Member

I thought this was the wanted section?? Lol

10. shasta420

shasta420 New Member

Thank you for the pics and info! It does help make it look more feasible. I may have to give it a try just to save money from the sounds of it. Lol

11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes brainfart time lol.

12. shasta420

shasta420 New Member

All good bud, I had a couple of those today myself lol.

Franz likes this.
  13. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

The problem with buying a used engine is say it is 350$ freight can be 200$ Unless engine is close to you for pickup.

14. shasta420

shasta420 New Member

That’s the only way I would buy one. I will travel some yes, but I would never pay freight for something like that lol.

15. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Also might be easier/cheaper to get an entire parts bike - if you're willing to do some work.

16. shasta420

shasta420 New Member

I actually did that already. Motor has a knock .

17. Wingedwheel

Wingedwheel Member

I have a good parts motor for sale