1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wanted: Ignition, gas cover, key. xj 650

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by maxhog650, Jun 25, 2009.

1. maxhog650

maxhog650 Member

Well im sure you can guess why, I lost my keys for my 81 xj 650 maxim, I dont know how interchangable these parts are but the right match would be great, anyone parting out anything.

or, anyone have any suggestions seeing as they cant order a new key for a bike this old apparently

2. danno

danno Member

Any competent locksmith can make a new key for your existing locks,but you will likely have to bring the bike,or lock(s) to them to do so.Should be way south of $20 to have this done for a SINGLE lock. If all of the locks used the same key,it will be easier for the locksmith,and will cheaper for you as well.
    Good luck,and let us know how you make out...

3. grutz

grutz Member

I got a set made for $30. It's pretty easy to bypass the ignition to get it to the locksmith. If you follow the wires (there are three of them, red, brown, and blue) from the ignition switch into the rat's nest behind the headlight, they should go to a white connector. If you take the connector apart and jumper all of the connections on the connector from the bike side (not the ignition side). Sorry if this sounds confusing, vicodin does that;)

4. maxhog650

maxhog650 Member

so far having some trouble. called around three or four guys and the first person to say he could do asked for 65 dollars an hour, and it may take up to 2 hours. I think he needs to get better at his job

5. jegbuddy

jegbuddy New Member

get the key code... usually on the side or top of the lock. I know when I used to be a locksmith they were on the side of the ignition or the seat.. Usually if you can take the seat lock in they can maka key for it.. Should be really cheap!

6. bill

bill Active Member

Key code should be at bottom of the ignition assembly.

7. maxhog650

maxhog650 Member

thanks everyone. I actually found my keys so all trouble has been avoided after calling 10 lock shops however i found someone who could do it for about 30, 200 dollars cheaper than my highest bidder. just show you should shop around.
    Looks like I will spend that $30 on as many key copys as I can get