1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

West Australian XJ750P Police Special

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by kpcart, Feb 5, 2011.

1. kpcart

kpcart New Member

Hi, just thought people would like to see this bike i recently bought. 1984 XJ750P, built for West Australian police officers. im told the engine might be different to other xj750 bikes, maybe a high flow cam or bigger carbs, maybe nothing different and only urban mythology. it goes good in a straight line, and crap through turns, but i thing thats just because its a heavy 80s bike. the bike code starts 37H, and being an xj 37h, i am struggling to find any parts that might be interchangable with other xj bikes. 1 person told me the police bikes started as 750RL bikes. anyway, previous owner put on a single seat, and had the paint freshly painted. i couldnt find any decals, so just put blue yamaha stickers on, but these will come off soon for some better ones, and will keep the blue and white police colour. i dont want the single seat but an original seat with a grab rail, and a handle. but seems its impossible to find one to match this bike, i dont think other xj750 seats fit as they all have different codes. i guess 4 into 1 is not original design either.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

with stickers
    [​IMG]

2. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

Hi mate,
    Whereabouts are you located? There are a few people on here with the WA XJ750P.

You wont match parts easily, but you can sort it out.

But don't order any parts without throwing up the question here first.
    Forks, triples, wheels and brakes are different.
    The Seca grab rail wont fit to your frame.

My bike is one third Seca, one third Police special and one third odd.

3. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Depending on what you want to do, the rear of the bike will have an unfinished look until you get a rear cowl , grab bar and light. The bikes came with TURBO 650 rims and brakes. You have a more powerful alternator (with fins !) Finding the complete, correct exhaust? Good luck ! You would buy it one piece at a time off Ebay and spend hundreds.

Welcome to the site !

4. kpcart

kpcart New Member

im happy with the 4 into 1 exhaust. makes the bike a nice noisy bastard. but yeh, i would like an original seat with grab bar. anyone here want this single seat? i dont know if a cowl will fit on this with this seat. the guy who sold it to me said the anti-dive was disconnected, but he called the system a 'widowmaker' for some reason. ive got one leak from the front wheel now, a clear yellow oil, i think from the forks.
    the bike came with a complete spare engine, with suposedely a high flow cam and a heavy duty clutch (engine was used in a dirt drag racer bike). i was thinking of installing it to the bike, but no time for things like that, and there was a box full of spares such as carbies, a top end for the engine, some old extractors, a black fuel tank and other parts. if anyone wants a spare xj750 engine, let me know.

5. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

The original seat for your bike is a single with no provision for a grab bar.
    [​IMG]

6. kpcart

kpcart New Member

great photo. but im sure something can be worked out. there are empty holes for screws, can also see that a handle can be possible screwed on the left side (one for lifting bike onto stand). also the previous owner had a double seat on it when he bought it (he showed me it, was in terrible condition, only good for the trash can), but when he replaced the seat he got along single seat put on (maybe it was cheaper, or maybe because he was about 6 foot 6 and weighed about 250 pounds and liked a long single seat). looking back, i should have taken the bad condition double seat he had, and might had been cheaper to fix, reupholster etc, then search for one that will fit this bike. it was a cheap bike so i didnt think of these things, i thought it was a pretty standard 80s bike, but then found out the police specials were slightly different to the others and have different codes for original parts from yamaha parts stores. either way it doesnt matter so much, it is fine as it is. problem will be when it comes to servicing the bastard, i changed the oil myself, and the bike still seems in tune (starts straight away, ride with choke on for 5 mins, then turn choke off, and idles ok when warm with choke off), but local yamaha shop (midland) say they cant tune these, so send me to a dodgy looking backyard mechanic type place (steves motorcycles), where they have a "yics tool" and they say its $550 for a major service, and talk in a bad customer service type of voice that i wouldnt trust them with serviceing my bike. no car mechanics even charge that much

7. ken007

ken007 Member

gday kp, the local yamaha dealer hear in brisbane wouldnt touch my 81 xj650 either, they wouldnt have had a clue by the sounds of it and charge like a wounded bull. their spare parts were 3 to 5 times dearer than lens prices on many things and they couldnt guarantee if it would fit. i dont go there know for anything and was lucky to find a mechanic that loves to work on these bikes,did the valves, carbies,any adjustments,checked it all out and helicoiled a spark plug hole for $230,good luck with your bike.

8. wizard

wizard Active Member

Great picture, darkfibre, I wonder how much motoring misery was dished out by that bunch. :eek:(

9. kpcart

kpcart New Member

darkfibre, have you got any other photos of these bikes?

10. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

There is a member on here (cds1984) Who has restored his back to the original Police style set up. Would pay to have a look at his bike sometime, nice bloke and approachable. He scored all my old Police only bits.

What condition is your spare tank in?

C.

Edit; cds1984 has a good pic in his gallery on here

11. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

12. kpcart

kpcart New Member

the spare tank looks average condition to me. has a few nicks and bangs, still has petrol in it. not great, but useable to someone. whats it worth?

13. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

As long as we're talking Police bikes.........

I have a favor to ask...........I need some info.

I need to know whether anyone has an original Yamaha OWNER'S MANUAL or SERVICE MANUAL for the 37H Police bike.

I need to try and figure out some info about these bikes that is only going to be contained within those manuals.

I have a copy already of the Yamaha PARTS BOOKS, but the parts books do not contain the specific tech info that I need.......

Let me know if you can help!

14. Robo

Robo New Member

I'm fairly new to the site, but I found this a couple of days ago when I was after some info on a different bike. I remember seeing a couple on the police special in there, but I haven't looked at them.

15. kpcart

kpcart New Member

i dont think there is one. i went to a yamaha store for a part, and their system found parts listed under xj750RL, which maybe the 750P was based on? from what i have gathered these 750p bikes are just a handful of modifieds specifically for the police force and nothing like production bikes and parts and info are much harder to get, even from yamaha.
    what id like to know is how many of the 37H police specials were made, and info and what parts are interchangable with other xj750s, does the parts book contain that info?
    im trying to work out what seats fit on the xj750p, i want a double seat, as my bike has an aftermarket single seat, and the yamaha store says the one from an xj750rl fits, but looking on the internet it has a different part number from other xj750 bikes.
    if there was only 2 or 300 of these, i wonder if they did make a service manual?

16. chacal

Well, as far as how many were produced, all you 750P bike owners need to start posting your VIN numbers! ........... the last six digits of the entire VIN is the individual bike sequential "serial number"; the only one that I've seen ends in 000383. Production started as serial number 000101, which means that 000383 is the 282nd unit of that bike made..

I believe these bikes were based on the 750 Seca frames, and then modified accordingly for fitment of any specialized police equipment (especially in the seat mounting area, since they use a solo seat). I don't know how easy it is going to be to mount a double seat on it; the most likely candidate would be a seat from an XJ750 Seca model.

Besides some of the specialized police parts, the bikes are basically XJ750 Seca models, but, like I said, with some very specialized modifications (for instance: the wiring harness). The front forks are very similar to the XJ900 forks, the wheels and brake system appear to be XJ650 Turbo style, etc. I think Yamaha robbed their parts bins to come up with all of the most heavy-duty components and grafted them together to create the 37H model police bike. The other Police bikes (24L, 37G, etc.) models seem to be more "true" to their original models that they were based upon.

The XJ750RL is a completely different bike, it is based on an XJ900 model (frame) and uses the XJ900 seat.

17. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

No offense, but,
    If 101 is first , 102 is second - - 383 is 283rd. Unless you mean 101 is "zero" (no bike)

18. chacal

Math........never my strong point! :D

Yes, Time is exactly correct.

19. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

The 750p front forks share the same part numbers as the Japanese XJ750D injected.

20. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Here are my 2 VINs.
    The 249 is hopefully going to work out with the double seat but I'll have to take a closer look at darkfibre's setup me thinks.

37H-000270
    [​IMG]

37H-000249
    [​IMG]