1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What causes the throttle to stick open

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jzap99, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Jzap99

Jzap99 Member

When I give it throttle it stays open it doesnt return back to its original position. I wd-40 the heck out of it and it fixed it for an hour or so, now back to sticking. Side note does anybody have any xj's that looks good with saddlebags I cant decide if they would look right.

Live long and Prosper

2. blackjack550

blackjack550 Member

bad return spring is a possibility

3. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Jzap,
    You may want to check the throttle sleeve to see if that's where it's sticking. The spring could be the culprit as Blackjack stated also.
    I have a pair of saddlebags on my Bobber that seem to look alright. I had to make brakets to hold them away from the shock towers, so they wouldn't rub on the back of the bags however. I used 1/4 steel round stock for the brackets. I welded heavy washers on the ends to attach the brackets to the frame rails. It's best to use heat to make the bends with it and holds it's shape well.
    I guess you can make the saddlebags brackets out of just about any type of metal, being you don't see it once the bags are on the bike. My bags were throw over bags and I wanted to remove the strap that goes over the seat and make a more perminent mount for them.
    I will get a photo of them when I put them back on later. PD

4. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

I used a set of bags I got on eBay. They zip off the yoke. I think I got them for about 40 bucks. They're buffalo leather - so nothing real fancy.

I had to make supports to keep them from wearing against the shocks.

Short enough they don't hit the pipes. I cut the yoke and attached the sides w/zippers to the grab rail. Now I can just zip them off and carry with me.

A warning on the handles though, the stitching makes them weak. I tore my handles by having heavy loads in both bags, then carrying both at the same time in one hand.

Pics of what I did in my gallery.

5. redfire

redfire Member

I had a similar problem when I took mine out of storage this year, I had to readjust the slack on the throttle cable. its a little adjuster close to the grip

6. daveflick

daveflick Member

Here's my 82 Maxim with saddle bags.

You might need to go to your local dealer and get a cable lube tool and some cable lube. the tool seals the end of the cable and forces all the lube down the cable. A couple of bucks well spent.

Attached Files:

7. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I could be that the Cable is frayed and is unwrapping withing the Guide Sheath; too.

Try adjusting the Cable Lengthener at the Throttle Perch. Give it some slack.

8. jdpesz

jdpesz Member

There are pics in my gallery, but this one is more recent, and was posted in another recent thread.
    [​IMG]
    I should check my throttle cable too. My bike is idling too fast. Good luck with that.

Where in Mississippi? I did a couple of school tours at Keesler when I was in the Air Force.

9. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

Here's a couple more shots of jdpesz's bike next to mine. A sort of hard and soft saddlebag collage...

Attached Files:

10. Jzap99

Jzap99 Member

Graduated college in Jackson, Ms. I live in Winona at the moment but I am ready to move out west soon I hope. I will try some of the ideas when this nasty storm front passes. I like the look of the soft bags on the bikes and the idea of being able to take them off easily is great.

Live long and prosper

11. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I travel with a set of soft bags on my 750. I did a litle surgery to the leather "throw-over" to get the seat locks to engage. I used a Dremel and cut some holes through the leather for the seat locks to pass through.

Then, I added some washers to where the seat locks mount to the seat frame to give me an extra reach so the seat locks actually engage and lock with the leather throw-over in place.

For on-the-road, the "Looks" of the soft bags don't really matter much. That they hold the stuff you are taking with you and need is the determining factor of their practicality.

Just having my rain gear and another coat not far away when the time calls is all I care about. And for that ... they work just fine!

12. greg_in_london

greg_in_london Member

When the throttle stuck on my 550 it was because the butterfly rod seized. Not likely if you have some movement on yours and it's just not closing all the way, but may be worth a check if everything else checks out okay.