1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Did some more work on the muffler/cat. The whole muffler is welded back together now, with the cat, but I need to move the location of the oxygen sensor bung since I had to turn the muffler a bit to better fit the cat. So... just a bit more grinding, drilling, and welding to do...

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Well the other day , speedo started howling , pulled out of housing lubed and put back together looked like it was fixed ...no joy , pulled out original cluster , swapped out and this fixed , the gimble dries out , after 30 plus years needs lubed every now and then, soaked in PB blaster usually works . The other thing the right turn signal was not working , put new buld in no joy so pulled headlight ....just happened to look right at one of the wires pulled out of the plug...that was easy all working now.

3. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Finished the exhaust and reinstalled it. I found the bung and a plug for it that came with another WB O2 sensor I have, so I simply installed the new one and plugged the old one... which gives me a convenient test port for adding a second WB O2 if I need it for dyno testing/tuning.

I also added a second rivet to hold the baffle in place. The original rivet that came from MAC fell out pretty soon after I'd installed the system. I had replaced it with a screw and nut, but those vibrated loose once when I didn't notice it, and I lost the baffle somewhere in Oklahoma. That "megaphone" muffler is absurdly loud with no baffle. Had to rig up something with Home Depot plumbing pieces to ride home (to Colorado). So, the new baffle is riveted, again, but twice.

4. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Finished the wiring harness work for sequential injection, reconnected the injectors, and ran some Cable Life down the throttle cable (which was getting rather sticky, and now feels great).

5. Jonathon Kent

Jonathon Kent Member

Removed the carbs; have everything completely broke down. Also got the forward controls on the bike; need to finish the brake side of the forward controls. 6D5766A8-638F-4289-BE54-229830C3DF5A.jpeg FEC4F1D6-E38E-4094-8519-EFB7C442646D.jpeg 1ED30F4A-BFB3-454A-AA77-9324D5FA56FC.jpeg 94F9A1A7-55B6-4FF9-AA51-D079DF3EACFA.jpeg

6. Bilfknmury

Bilfknmury New Member

Did this last weekend and finally had some free time to post. Got the oil change supplies and changed the oil. Rode around for about an hour enjoying this bi-polar weather. Just counting the days until it gets warm again.

7. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Did what?

8. Bilfknmury

Bilfknmury New Member

Ok, let me rephrase then

I accomplished this work last weekend...
    I finally have some free time to post this...
    I purchased and received the parts needed to accomplish an oil change on my bike...
    After the said work was accomplished, I was able to ride around for about an hour, enjoying the weather that changes every 20 min where I live...
    I am counting down the days until said weather changes to warmer temperatures so I can enjoy riding again...

How was that?

9. Jonathon Kent

Jonathon Kent Member

The first post you made was a little oddly formatted. But thanks for clarifying; based on your first post I was thinking you installed forward controls on your bike based off your first sentence. “ Did this last weekend and finally had some time to post.

10. Bilfknmury

Bilfknmury New Member

I can now see how you were confused. Apologies for not translating correctly.

11. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Reinstalled the tank and started the bike for the first time since last August. Idle definitely seems smoother with the sequential injection, and the exhaust and oil filter / cooler work seems good:

(I had cut off one of the header pipes to knock some major dents out of it, then welded it back on. Cut the muffler apart to weld in a catalytic converter. Installed a new baffle. And added a new oxygen sensor bung to move the sensor to a better location. I had also made a spin-on oil filter conversion, and built an oil cooler to work with it.)

However, I did find a fuel leak which looks to be a crack or pinhole in the fuel rail itself, so I'll need to pull that back off and see about fixing it. Once that's taken care of, there's still tuning work to do. Idle seems good, but return to idle from higher RPMs has some issues.

12. Jonathon Kent

Jonathon Kent Member

Got the carbs back together as far as having them bench synchronized. Going to set the float heights tomorrow; as well as wet setting the carburetors. I am feeling suspiciously confident about my rebuild. I let the carb bodies sit in cleaner for about 12 hours each. And I was able to physically blow air through the enrichment circuit from the bottom end by my own breath. Yes it was disgusting; but I have previously had many many many problems with the bike not wanting to start; as well as the enrichment circuit now aiding as it is supposed to. All that being said I am feeling very excited about this weekend. Hopefully I will get my bike fired up this weekend..... I can certainly dream of it.

13. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

If you were blowing through the enrichment tube with just your Breath, be aware that there is a tiny hole just before where the tube enters the carb body. You MAY feel like air is going all the way through when it’s actually just coming out that hole. You have to learn that feel. Otherwise, compressed air supplies so much more that it ensure clear passages

14. Jonathon Kent

Jonathon Kent Member

I did happen to see the very tiny hold that you are referring to. That being said I had previously pushed compressed air through the passage. Got the carbs fully assembled. Did a bench synchronization to them. Set the float height; to I believe it’s supposed to be 14.5 mm. +\- a little bit not much again increments. Then did a wet set on the carbs. They all looked pretty good. Did a minor adjustment to all of them. Emptied once I rechecked; put the carbs on the bike; got the carbs attached at all points. And wa la the bike fired up beautifully !!!! Never had that happen before. I guess there is definitely something to be said about cleaning or replacing or adjusting anything the right way the first time around. Thanks church of clean. And Dave aka Hogfiddles I know I have pestered you’re with more questions than what probably seems right. All that being said I have a lot of work still to do. Gotta put everything back together now after the winter tear down for the full restoration and repaint.

Franz and XJ550H like this.
  15. hogfiddles

17.5mm initial. You might find your fuel levels a bit high now. But if it’s running, get your running sync done and see what you think.

Ask all the questions you want! Doesn’t bother me at all :). That’s why I’m here !

dfox

16. Jonathon Kent

Jonathon Kent Member

Would a slightly higher fuel level in the bowls cause a little bit of a wandering idle?

17. hogfiddles

Possibly, but if you haven’t done a running sync yet, that’s gonna be the biggest contributor.

18. Jonathon Kent

Jonathon Kent Member

Makes sense Swae just curious. Like I said still have a lot of work to do. But I need to buy a running synch tool and the colortune tool.

19. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Today I pulled the tank and the fuel rail, and, eventually, found the leak, which was a crack/gap in the solder at the edge of the #3 injector socket... I had thought it was leaking from #2. I also modified the fuel rail to bring injectors 1 and 4 down a bit, as they were a little too high. Vacuum tested it with the injectors installed to make sure it was sealed... as pressure testing it off the bike isn't something I'm set up for.

Fuel-proof paint is drying on it now.

Dave in Ireland likes this.
  20. hogfiddles

Started pseudo-rehab of a 650rj tank that came from John Fuller awhile back. Some of you had seen pics of either the bike, the carbs, or other parts. I’m still feverishly working my way through the carbs.

I didn’t take a good “before” pic of the tank, but you’ll be able to read between the lines with the pics.

I decided before just drilling the cap, “ maybe, juuust maayyybee, it won’t be seized and I can pick it. There was no key for the cap. Well...........

I got it to turn
    48C5EA19-CC14-424F-9BA5-251ADDF13CCB.jpeg

it popped up with just a teeny bit of persuasion
    093CA561-26BA-4E81-BF6E-177D1FB7B79F.jpeg

Eeewwwww
    D1FD203C-6E9D-4CC7-93F2-706824CA8376.jpeg

Amazingly enough everything can apart easily. The core slid out like it should, I carefully inserted an extra key that I have into it to hold everything in place. I found one worn out and broken wafer. I’ll leave that as is for now.... I’ll take to a locksmith and have them replace the broken wafer and then cut a new key for the core. I’m not going to have it set to match my extra key.... I’m keeping that separate for times that I may need it—— for like a job like this.....
    ABD43FF8-3CA7-4AAE-95A3-7A2CE2C7B9ED.jpeg 43D8EF97-F553-4FA3-918B-80DC70C37359.jpeg

So, how’s the tank itself—- rusty,rust holes, sun rotted emblems, STINKY MESS INSIDE... amazingly not leaking. Hmmm, not leaking— should be with those rust holes. Guess what, the rust just looks bad. With a strong poker, there are no holes or soft spots!!!much of the tank has had the clearcoat wind blasted Over the years. Looks like it’s gonna clean up half decent. Yeah, the half that still has old clearcoat isn’t as nice.... lol.
    see what I mean?? Oh, don’t breathe too deep,though
    DA70FCC2-20DD-474B-9F16-10B9F598ADB1.jpeg

It’s actually presentable!! Well, as long as I can get the INSIDE cleaned.
    CE001127-6E7D-42F7-B8A7-9E2EBB85A1A9.jpeg B1860B03-A754-452C-AB5A-F83823911E7D.jpeg

Oh, “Wait! What about the cap?” You ask? Well....
    (BTW, the 3 squares of toilet paper are from the end of a now-empty spare roll that I had in my shop for years in case I cut myself. Don’t worry-no good rolls of TP were harmed in the making of this forum)
    EE653E92-B2BF-4D6C-87CB-89322D216058.jpeg

I need new chrome, and I need a new rubber/metal insert. Other than that, this cap will turn out juuuust fine :)

That will be another time when I have the time.

dfox