1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Brent NZ

Brent NZ Active Member

No there wasn't any issues with rust, but I did have to recondition the transmission, replace the abs computer, replace both electric window assemblies, repair the air bag system...

2. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Timbox likes this.
  3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Going to put a plug in for a great product from Harbor freight, and is made in the USA to boot . Been using it alot on the Johnny Cash bike . Has worked great on seals .

Attached Files:

Huntchuks likes this.
  4. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

Started rebuilding the carbs on my 81 XJ650. They're actually in decent shape for a bike that hasn't been on the road since 2008. Not sure if they've ever been rebuilt. I drilled out the plug above the pilot screw on top of the carb. Much simpler than I thought it would be. I just continued to enlarge the hole in the plug with larger and larger drill bits and the last bit ended up spinning the plug right out of the hole. I also picked up an ultrasonic cleaner to do the bulk of the work on the carbs. I was shocked at how clean they come out of it. Definitely saves time scrubbing the years of grease and gunk off of the carbs.

XJ550FirstTimeBuilder and Franz like this.
  5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

for the next set you just need to drill a small hole and then twist in a drywall screw and pull the plug out

Franz likes this.
  6. Brent NZ

Brent NZ Active Member

Update on the 1980 650 Seca: finished the wiring yesterday, will start testing the electrical system soon. I now understand why this model has such a big headlight - need all that space to accommodate the wiring and connectors!
    The front brakes are in one piece but haven't put fluids in yet. All painted components are completed and installed, the red looks brilliant. Those aren't decals on the tank and panels, the stripes are painted on. 650 badges will be attached to the side covers next weekend. I fitted a wire to the underside of the seat which allows the seat to open without the edge hitting the side panel.
    I thought it might have been a mistake to install a 4 into 1 exhaust when everything else is stock-standard, but I think this exhaust gives the bike a more streamlined appearance.
    Won't install the carbs for a while as I'll need some more parts. My local motorcycle shop helpfully sourced carb rebuild kits (which I ordered before I knew about XJ4Ever), I collected them recently and quickly realised they are cheap Chinese knock-offs. Will now order quality parts from Len and chuck the Chinese bits in the garbage where they belong.
    Next weekend I'll probably continue on my VMax streetfighter project.

Attached Files:

• 000.JPG
      000.JPG
      File size:
      227.3 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      370.5 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      326.4 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      253.5 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      276.2 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      265.5 KB
      Views:
    • IMG 3.JPG
      IMG 3.JPG
      File size:
      389.6 KB
      Views:
  7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

^^^^Sexy looking bike, love the color.

Brent NZ likes this.
  8. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

Thanks for the tip. I started with a smaller drill bit and was able to work in a drywall screw and it pulled right out.

9. Brent NZ

Brent NZ Active Member

I put a new battery in the 650 Seca restoration project & switched on the ignition (with some trepidation) to check electrics work. Not good - rear brake light staying constantly on, that was a faulty brake switch. More concerning was the entire indicator system appeared to be dead. So I spent all day yesterday pulling the electrics apart and checking every damn wire and connector with the multimeter. After all that it was just a faulty flasher relay!

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Not so much as to as for. I started moving stuff from the garage into the house to make room for workspace. I almost have a whole bay free. Just enough to put new brakes on the Jeep. By Summer I should have the workbench and lathe set back up, and room enough for the XJ and Miata in one bay.

11. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

P1020541a.jpg P1020538a.jpg Nothing because covered in snow.

12. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Great paint job on the pup!

13. Brent NZ

Brent NZ Active Member

The dog spends all day not moving, the only time I want him to stay still and he starts running all over the place. I'm sure they do it on purpose!

ksigurdsen likes this.
  14. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

15. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Have not touched either of my Secas , was out with the snow blower , hooked up tender on Old Yellow . Started the Johnny Cash bike, shocked 19 degrees and been sitting for two weeks , she ran ....oh the humanity I WANT TO RIDE, at least 10 more days of brutal cold and more snow:(

XJ550FirstTimeBuilder likes this.
  16. Turbo20

Turbo20 Member

17. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Thanks all. Still need to paint the engine, i've got some VHT paint ready, and the petrol tank needs a bit. That's a couple of jobs for the warmer weather.

18. XJ550FirstTimeBuilder

XJ550FirstTimeBuilder Member

HA! I'm jealous. Been at -45 where I am for the last week, maybe 10 days or so now. It's been next to impossible to get my car to start, let alone make it to where I have my bike stored.

Jetfixer likes this.
  19. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

My cousin is a farm boy and lives out on the plains near Wadena,SK, and mailed me a few days back and told they were -48 with a wind chill of -56.
    Fook that is cold, seems like the Northern Hemisphere is having cold this year. We've just had our coldest night in 25 years, though -22 up in Scotland could be positively balmy.
    I like a bit of cold weather and when i last went to SK it was -20 and just warming up getting ready for Spring. Better than this damp sort of Winter we get here.

20. XJ550FirstTimeBuilder

XJ550FirstTimeBuilder Member

It's that dang polar vortex, it's been happening here for the last several years. -20 is nice, at the point where my winter tires are freezing solid and touching anything metal pulls your skin off, I do my best to not go outside unless necessary.

On a side note, I got my key set from user Toomanybikes (I'm not too sure how to tag someone, but I'm quite thankful to him), and took out the drilled out tumblers so my bike is now keyed alike. That and repairing my turn signal were my project over the last week.

Anyone else had to do a complete redo of all their locks due to a clueless PO?

Jetfixer likes this.