1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

So my seca 's right side cover is missing the emblem I had one emblem so made a couple of resin copies and covered with bare metal gold foil think they turned out okay. 20220502_205710.jpg 20220502_205710.jpg 20220502_205710.jpg

Noahsxj, Minimutly, Huntchuks and 2 others like this.
  2. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

That looks pretty good @Jetfixer

Would love to A. hear about your procedure and B. think about how we can make it work for silver (chrome) too.

3. Jetfixer

Bare metal chrome silver they also make a black chrome. I recently ordered a RTV casting kit and resin. The RTV takes six hours to cure but the resin 10 minutes will be ready . I'm happy how it turned out, and now have spares. I also made a copy of the yamaha emblem on the dash pad that covers the two screws that hold it down . By the way the Rtv kit and resin was like 47$ so you have plenty of material. Cheers

4. Erick Quezada

Erick Quezada New Member

5. Erick Quezada

Erick Quezada New Member

Were did you buy the seat?

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Rear caliper fitted with new seals. Pistons were in good condition. Glad l had a tyre inflator to get the pistons out on the bench.

16516091574957738122876524143119.jpg

7. Erick Quezada

Erick Quezada New Member

Hi all. Whats this wire anyone know...and thanks

Attached Files:

8. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

@Erick Quezada Main ground for harness, attaches to one of the bolts that holds the coil on.

You could add this to your other thread as this is a sharing your project of the day thread.

Erick Quezada likes this.
  9. Erick Quezada

Erick Quezada New Member

Will do. Thanks

10. Dan Gardner

Took the XJ700N for a cruise around the lakes in Minneapolis. Saw a black XJ700N parked along the parkway at the lake formerly known as Calhoun. Cheers, whoever you are!

11. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

Finally finished up the few remaining tasks left over from winter, including greasing the rear wheel, reattaching the rear brake and replacing the brake light wire. The plastic insert had broken was was held in with some glue. I thought it was going to be a nightmare to remove the vetter fairing to replace the wire. Four bolts and it was off. Then it was just simply unplug the old wire and plug in the new one.

Attached Files:

12. Jetfixer

Today had to go to hardware store , it was around 60 degrees so a quick ride and here I am cruising along hey what is that in the road ? A big snapping turtle so turn around a car almost ran over it. Picked him up he was not happy but put him back in the ditch felt like I might have saved his life lol

Noahsxj, Rooster53 and chacal like this.
  13. Dan Gardner

Challenge accepted! This is a 3D printed version. This is a test print in white PLA. Couple more tweaks and printed in black ABS should be pretty good! Going to leave my original safe inside from now on.

20220508_155257456_iOS.jpg

Jetfixer likes this.
  14. Jetfixer

So making more use of my resin kit today I had a set of side covers the mounting tab was broke off made a mold and casted a copy and epoxied in new mount , it worked better than I thought it would. And here is a picture of it and the resin dash pad emblem. Yea I know a 3D printer you could make a whole sidecover....sorry I don't have one .

Attached Files:

15. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Yesterday, after washing out the oil from that K&N air filter the day before, I oiled with genuine K&N filter oil. Pulled the plugs from the last ride and 1 & 2 were pretty lean looking, 3 was the darkest and 4 looks about right. Made some small adjustments and went for a spin. Bike runs pretty well.

16. Eric Hughes

Eric Hughes Member

Started cleaning up the Midnight's rims that are very corroded, and realize just how bad I need a sand/media/soda blaster. Wire wheel is just never going to get the job done. Any body got any Nebular Gold paint they need to get rid of?

17. Jetfixer

I guess I'm officially OLD I have the front fairing on my Seca and bought a cheap eBay extension it works . I wear a full face Helmet with the visor closed used to get a blast of air over the windshield this breaks it up . My wife of course has to poke fun of it ....she is not the one riding !!!

Attached Files:

18. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Nah your not old until you need a trike :D

Jetfixer likes this.
  19. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Yesterday: Need the new tires on the non X moved to the X. Front was easy, just swap wheels. Kept the rotors on the original bikes though. Rear tires are a whole different animal.
    Today: Spring cleanup. Light pressure wash on the X. Fine steel wool where needed and chrome polish on most everything shiny. I noticed the front fender was quite high off the tire. The non X fender was very close to its tire. Hmmm. Take apart and find someone had mounted the fender backwards on the bracket! Easy fix, looks proper now.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  20. Roast644

Roast644 Well-Known Member

Finally back to working on the carb rebuild after a lengthy delay. I feel like the bodies, bowls and jets are very clean, but now faced with the plethora of small hardware. Anybody using a vibratory tumbler thingy for cleaning screws, clips, springs? Might need to put that on my next Harbor Fright shopping list....