1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Just keep in mind that sooty plugs ("rich") can be caused by fuel mixtures that are too rich or too lean:

"Another good diagnostic tip: a cylinder running too lean can exhibit a periodic orange flame and sooty plug. If the cylinder is too lean to fire, the fuel accumulates for a couple of cycles, then when it does ignite the total fuel charge is too rich (orange flame) with the resultant unburned hydrocarbon deposits resulting (the sooty plug)."

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    Andrew Nichols, k-moe, RJ C and 2 others like this.
  2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I was working on my lawnmower, looked at the bike it has been awhile since I colortuned carbs so out came the plugs was not far out but got a nice blue flame after a slight turn in . Took out for a quick blast running great!!!

Uxbridge Brule and Door dude like this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Having the mixture screws all set the same is just for the initial check. They will be adjusted individually after that so that each cyinder gets the fuel ratio that it needs.

RJ C likes this.
  4. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

Noticed my less than a year old battery had lost some fluid over the winter, so I added some distilled water and put it in the trickle charger and waited for the green light that never showed up. Now I've got an AGM battery order and on the way. No more leaking acid on my garage floor.

Andrew Nichols likes this.
  5. Jetfixer

Went for a short ride , bike was a a little rough at low speed, swapped out plugs for a spare set of used plugs NGK . Bike would not start ??? I had a set of Autolite 63 plugs swapped these in and started right up . So found two plugs would not fire they looked okay very strange. The other thing I did today while riding looked down my clutch pivot bolt was loose noticed I had alot of slop in the bracket . Took lever out and using two brass hammers, one on bottom and the other striking the top a good wack and this took quite a bit of slop out . Checked brake lever did the same , I never really noticed this but just a little annoying thing that felt good to fix.

6. ksigurdsen

ksigurdsen Member

The parts seller contacted me after a few weeks to let me know he found a pair of new-in- unopened boxes EBC rotors in his garage. I looked up the part numbers and they were correct for my bike. When the rotors arrived, I was surprised to find a free bonus in the boxes (a set of unopened brake pads). Everything is on and I'm very happy with the front brake renewal.

Jetfixer, Huntchuks and Franz like this.
  7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Spin on oil filter conversion. Oil cooler radiator pipes and manifold are XJ 900f parts.

16562446432483825482645020123831.jpg

Bolt spacer and filter plate are off a 600n.

16562447706605046134021601278279.jpg

16562448696984218353090343143617.jpg

This bolt needs the threads cut more and shortened so the manifold meets the crankcase.

16562451331748590158099260397434.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    Jetfixer likes this.
  8. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Started to recover my seat.. cut out a chunk from the front and spliced in some 1" memory foam (badly:oops:) now just need to get me a staple gun...

9. 650MAX

650MAX Member

Oh boy! Last Friday I aired up the tires and tried to get it to go in gear while running on the stand but it quit every time. Fiddled with the adjustment so the wheel didn't drag so much with the clutch pulled but no matter what it always quit when I popped it in gear!! About half a day later I realized it can't run with the side stand down... uhhhh! Well, at least THAT was an easy fix, lol. I put my clutch adjustment back to where it belongs and moved the bike over by the garage door... then ignored it over the weekend! hahah. But this morning I did take a little 5 mph ride to the other end of the parking lot and back. FIRST RIDE EVER for me on this bike, so that was pretty cool. And yeah I'm being stupidly careful, I know. But it's a little scary for me since my previous experience riding bikes is limited to the small bike at the motorcycle riding/license course that I took 3 years ago. Got a lot of careful careful ahead before I get out on the road and stuff. But the bike seems to work alright! Had my fair share of help from you guys a few years back when I bought and restored the bike, can't thank you all enough for that.

10. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

New fuel filter installed now that I put the tank back on the bike. I'm not super enthused about it laying on top of the carburetor, but I'll go with it for the time being until I find a better way to route it.

Attached Files:

Jetfixer likes this.
  11. Door dude

Door dude Active Member Premium Member

They make a 90 degree inline filter. You can have a little longer fuel line off of the petcock to the 90. Then the rest of the fuel line is straight down.

12. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

I placed mine so it is off the back of the rack. BTW, your filter is mounted backwards.

Door dude likes this.
  13. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

Thanks for pointing that out. Once I put my glasses on I noticed the directional arrow on the filter that shows the flow.

14. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

Thanks. I'll pick up one of the 90 degree filters and plan to put it on this weekend.

15. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I rode for about 2 hours. First long ride in a while with the original seat on. I've decided that I had better stich up the seams in the Corbin before my backside complains more.

16. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

New battery in. Ended up getting a Motobatt AGM. Love that it doesn't leak and is a bit lighter. Also installed the 90 degree fuel filter, and the bike cranked right up. Ran for a bit and then died and didn't want to start again. So I'm currently diagnosing that issue. When I last synced the carbs, I was adding fuel straight into the fuel line with a squeeze bottle and I had a cap on the third intake boot stem so I didn't have an air leak. So I'll start with running a fuel line straight from the petcock to the carbs and checking for an air leak with the new vacuum hose. I also need to lube the choke and throttle cables. No idea when those were done last.

17. Jetfixer

My batt indication on the Atari has been intermittently been coming on . I ordered a 100 count of 2.2K resistors , they came in today made up a new bypass with two soldered together. Installed and did not work :mad: traced the wire to the harness found the wire had rubbed a small area under the seat so was picking up a ground fixed this and rode bike around and light and batt indication did not come on :D .

18. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

Been chasing an electrical issue with my turn signals all week. Thought it was the relay or signal canceler. Turns out one of the turn signals from the Vetter fairing was corroded and the problem. Fortunately the PO had given me two additional turn signals for the fairing. I plugged in one of the spares, and problem solved. At least all the turn signal connections are now cleaned. I'm eyeballing replacing the original fuse box next, once I tweak the carbs tomorrow.

Andrew Nichols and Jetfixer like this.
  19. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

Finally got the carbs completely rebuilt, bench synced, color tuned and final sync. MASSIVE thanks to the gurus here that helped me get this done!! If you had told me two weeks ago I would have VooDoo running this good I would have asked for some of what you were smokin! o_O I am all thumbs when it comes to carbs, but with help from this site and determination, I got er' dun! Again, thanks guys!

20. Noahsxj

Noahsxj Active Member

hit kind of a milestone on my 550 today
    It’s also my birthday :)
    FE87E678-ECFA-48EB-B071-AA39FA746154.jpeg