1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    New to me 82 Maxim 750. Charged the old battery that still has some life, pulled the clogged air filter, vacuumed the remaining seeds from the air box, gave it a blast of starting fluid encouragement and it took right off! Settled down to a nice clean idle with snappy throttle response. Amazing, simply amazing. Even on the old gas.

Huntchuks, Franz and Oblivion like this.
  2. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

I went through that sciatic BS a couple weeks ago. Broke my moto-commuting streak until I realized staying mobile on the Seca was better for it than sitting still in my truck seat for 45 minutes. Still, blew. Good luck to you (with the back and the bikes/show).

3. XJ650inTexas

XJ650inTexas Active Member

I calculated my Xj650 is getting right at 49 mpg on the last two tanks of fuel.

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

That’s dead-on:)

5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Rode a little over 60 miles today bike ran great , after I went home and bike cooled off pulled all four plugs they all looked good a little lean . So out came my color tune plug , put a half turn on mixture screws and seemed to be better , blue flame . I thought about it last year was last time I pulled the plugs so it was time to check them . On to my 100$ Seca still no luck bleeding brakes , I have three master cylinders tore one down completely EWWW got junk out of it thought this was problem , no luck and tried my mighty vac , no luck , used a syringe fluid does flow through old rubber hoses . My next step is to use my vibrating sander , alreay tried tieing brake lever up and opening bleeder and leaving it over night no help . The calipers and been rebuilt with new seals . I'm about to put this on market place I just don't have a warm fuzzy for this bike .

6. Fuller56

@Jetfixer, are trying to use the stock Seca master cylinder? If so I have nothing. If a more "normal" master have you tried bleeding at the master banjo? I have good luck doing that when all else, like you have done, failed.

7. hogfiddles

Took 2 XJ’s to a show today.....

3rd Place Trophy went to xj650rj
    1 & 2 went to Harleys

589F1705-0AE9-44B7-BD17-B01E58B755C2.jpeg

8. Fuller56

@hogfiddles , Congrats! Very cool but you was robbed! How did the 900 do?

9. hogfiddles

I won’t complain…….. when I first started showing it, I was just hoping for one trophy. I’ve gotten 10 for it……..no complaints if someone else gets one. The guy who got the firet place trophy hasn’t gotten a trophy in 30 yrs, and just did a top to bottom make over on his bike —did it himself, and today was his first day out at a show with it—Im ok with him getting first…..he’s thrilled.

It sat right next to the RJ and looked pretty…… got a lot of attention, though. It did lead to a very interesting conversation—-I’ll share that with you all once things are finalized……it will give XJ’s a lot of exposure, for sure…….stay tuned :)

Franz and Oblivion like this.
  10. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

@Jetfixer those brakes are a BEAR! You try everything and nothing works and then one day, bam, you have pressure. It's the darndest thing. Good luck. I know when I replaced my lines last year and rebuilt everything, I was glad I was already bald.

Jetfixer likes this.
  11. blue303

blue303 New Member

Replaced the front pads on Friday. Seems to brake better than before. I took the bike for a 139 mile today. Everything worked perfectly. It was also the first time taking it on the interstate. It ran pretty smooth and didn’t complain about the speed.

12. Jetfixer

Messed around on my 100$seca , checked compression all 144 to 150 psi , just not sure if I sell this thing , keep it or part it out .

13. GetFitzd

GetFitzd New Member

Went to my coworkers house and helped get the bike started. Got new sparky boys in, cleaned out the old gas in it, ran some seafoam to help clean the carbs a bit and had it running on cables sadly. But shes getting there.

Attached Files:

14. Jetfixer

Took off this morning early , rode 409 miles , going down to my parents house was uneventful, exept for all the detours . My left turn signal stopped working , found a wire that came disconnected. Going home that was a true adventure , hit some really rough side roads for detours. My battery bypass failed so battery was displayed on the Atari . But the epic fail , pulled into a gas station and my foot slipped on a crushed can I did not see and layed bike down:rolleyes: a couple of guys helped pick it up , a scratch on the crash bars and on the saddle bag was the only damage, but my pride hurt worse. Took off and bike felt funny it was cutting out Atari kept cyling . When bike layed over the ignition switch broke , I had fixed it along time ago with JB weld I had to play with it to get power it would cut out not real good thing especially in traffic and riding with keeping pressure was not cool. I noticed the front fairing was bouncing around , I had metal shims , they fell out so fairing is loose. Finally made it home , I have spare ignition switch so that is a project for Sunday. And of course my arms are sunburnt my own fault .

15. hogfiddles

Glad you’re ok..... sounds like everything is fixable, and it sounds like most of the fixable stuff is quick repairs that re-broke. That’s why I try to always replace a broken part with a good part rather than a quick-fix..... quick/temporary-fixes tend to end up being “permanent” cuz “hey, if it works why ness with it ..... and you end up forgetting about it “ until the break again at an in opportune time.

Glad you got home. Sounds like it’s good mechanically though!

slipping on a can....... things happen.

Jetfixer likes this.
  16. Fuller56

I too, am glad you okay. Zero speed fall overs are distressing but so much better than at speed crashes.
    Evaluating the condition of a master cylinder today. I think it is going to need more cleaning & work.

Attached Files:

Jetfixer likes this.
  17. short_circutz

short_circutz Active Member

You think?

Jetfixer and Fuller56 like this.
  18. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

A little fresh fluid and it’ll be fine

Jetfixer and short_circutz like this.
  19. Jetfixer

Spent yesterday fixing the things from my 400 mile trip . Pulled the ignition switch , I have another switch , but if I would not have the same key as the seat lock and gas cap. So took the broke switch apart and transferred the guts out , and swapped into the "new" body and it works like it should . Looking into the front fairing found the problem , the shims I had put between the frame and the bracket had fell out but was laying down behind braket. So off came the bracket and and this time I welded the shim onto the bracket. In the process of this found the bracket for the shimmy dampner was not bolted to the frame properly ( can't blame PO oh wait that is me:rolleyes:) so got a few other things to fix but it is almost ready for another long ride.

Franz likes this.
  20. hogfiddles

Yep, you can replace the switch guts as long as you have the correct style key core. There are a few different kinds, so it doesn’t ALWAYS work that way...... but if you have the right ones, yes :). Glad you did :)

Jetfixer likes this.