1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What does an exhaust leak cause...?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by dpawl31, Jun 2, 2009.

1. dpawl31

dpawl31 Member

So going by the idea that my exhaust might be leaking, since I can't seem to track down my engine noise (no, not valves- I know those are all in spec and can tune out that sound)

I thought it might be cam chain, but I checked the chain when I did shims and it was tight, also did the auto-tensioner help out trick to make sure.

Lots of folks saying exhaust leak @ the head sounds like chain/valve train noise.
    So it is possible... I know to check with a piece of toilet paper on a stick, but I have to wait till I get in a wind free shed to do so.

My question really is - what does an exhaust leak cause as far as the motor. Other than noise :)

Would it cause a lean condition? Could it cause engine sync/colortune to be off or not react right?

When I hit my brake REAL hard, as I let up I hear a clunk, almost snap noise.
    I have a bad notch in my steering neck bearing, but I don't think that is it.
    No play in wheel bearing either.

2. jeddininja

jeddininja New Member

an exhaust leak will cause a lean condition.
    (less restriction = more airflow, more airflow without more fuel = lean.)
    I'm not sure but i think it would have to be really bad to cause a seriously lean condition.

Not sure about the noise after breaking. I'm assuming it's the front brake. Look for something getting hooked as the front end dives maybe?

cheers
    k

3. dpawl31

dpawl31 Member

Yeah, it clicks hard when it comes BACK up. Not on the push down.

Honestly, could even be inside the forks... might be clicking from bottoming out.
    I have air pressure in them - so they hold air. Not sure about the oil though. Haven't gone that far yet.