1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What does each wire do thats from the TCI?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by xharleyx, Apr 4, 2010.

1. xharleyx

xharleyx Member

i really need to see what wires do what on the TCI. The previous owner rewired the bike with the wrong color wires so I have to go on location rather than color...

1982 XJ650 Maxim

so if someone could plug and play these numbers for me I would be forever in your debt

imagine the box is laying down and your looking at the TCI itself...

1 2 3 ~~ 7 8
    4 5 6 ~~ 9 10

2. Maan

Maan Member

if you open up the 4 screws on the tci and look on the pins soldered to the board, you will see alphabets with numbers on the green board.

C1 is for Ignition coil 1
    C2 is for Ignition coil 2
    E is for Earth/Engine Ground
    B is for Battery/12V

On the other socket

P1 is for Pick up Coil 1
    P2 is for Pickup Coil 2
    P1E and P2E is for Ground to the Pulsars, you may attach the earth wire of both the coils to anyone.

The rest of the wires are not necessary to plug in, if you have these connected properly the engine should fire and run like its supposed to.

If by any chance upon unscrewing the TCI screws you cannot see the alphabets or numbers, take a pic of the back side of the circuit board and upload it here, upon looking I can help you wire the TCI up.

3. xharleyx

xharleyx Member

well that would be greatly helpful, but i cant get to the back of the circuit board. I have pics of the front and the side but that's it. I don't have access to a soldering gun or anything

4. Maan

Maan Member

you don't need a soldering iron, I just need to see the green pcb inside that plastic box to verify the connections. thats it.

edit: it doesn't matter if its the back side or the front, just need to see the green circuit board

5. xharleyx

xharleyx Member

[​IMG]

that isnt mine but its the same one. I checked the part number. exact same

I figured out the relay below the TCI has failed, so thats why the headlight isn't working

and based on your explination up there. i've got power going through the grey wire to one coil, but no power going through the orange to the other coil, and I have no spark from any plug what so ever...

has my TCI gone bad too?

6. Maan

Maan Member

No. 1 Is C2 = Goes to Plug Coil No.2
    No. 2 is C1 = Goes to Plug Coil No.1
    E = Goes to Earth/Ground on the Battery
    B = Goes to +12V Battery

X= is for the side stand switch (not needed to connect)
    P1 = Goes to Pickup coil 1
    P2 = Goes to Pickup coil 2
    PE = Goes to Pickup Coils Ground

Once you have all these connected accordingly you should have spark on both the coils, if after connecting you don't have spark then you have a problem elsewhere, Plug coils, pickup coils or the tci, could be either one.

Make sure you connect the wires correctly, the connection marked 1 in the picture goes to the bottom pin.

Attached Files:

7. Maan

Maan Member

You must have 2 connections on each plug coil, 1 connection is from the tci while the 2nd is from the +12V, same goes for the other coil. the coil gets grounded via the chassis. it seems you are not getting +12V to the coils, you can verify that by touching the +12v wire going in the coils to the chassis after turning the key and the ignition switch to the ON position. if you see sparks then the coils are getting the current they need, if not then rectify why the wire does not have the current. blown fuses, pinched/broken wire, check these.

8. markie

markie Member

I would buy a cheap meter rather than ground 12v+ wires. You might blow a fuse or risk damaging something more expensive!

If you are still stuck I can draw the connections/colours on my bike.

9. xharleyx

xharleyx Member

well im still stuck, and the wiring is soo butchered on this bike im going to have to scrap the harness and use the plugs to rewire the whole thing using the minimum diagram

if u could draw those out for me i would headed in the right direction at least. i need to know more than anything where to run the wires from which prongs on the TCI to on the bike

which prongs are associated with which color wires?

10. markie

markie Member

This is the view looking at the bottom of the TCI. There are 3 "No connection".[​IMG]

You will have to trace the wires on the diagram!!

The wires are white/red, white/black, Red, Black, Blue/yellow, grey and orange.

NOTE: my bike is an XJ 600 - the same as an FJ 600 in the US.

JohanxXx likes this.
  11. xharleyx

xharleyx Member

thanks for taking the time out of your day to do that for me man