1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What else do you ride?

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by pianomangg, Jan 8, 2006.

1. pianomangg

pianomangg New Member

Just curious to see what other bikes keep our XJs company in the garage.

I picked up a '99 EX500 for my wife from a salvage dealer last January... broken plastic and mirror/lamps on the right side. Just $1100. I'll get around to it one of these days...

GG

2. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    I used to ride a few different bikes - right now I'm down to just the XJ. I loved my old zx600r - alot quicker than the xj and still pretty comfortable. I'm looking at new bikes. I've been a sucker for the triumphs for a long time... I really like the zx7r ( for a second bike). For the miles I do the VFR and ninja 650 are the top of my list right now. Have to wait for the lottery :p ( or the next raise ;))

3. ballinger

ballinger New Member

My wife rides the XJ650. Mine is a 02 Bandit 1200S.
    My son rides the 87 GSXR 750 and my daughter will be looking for a R6 Raven this spring.

4. CTSommers

CTSommers Member

My other bike if you want to call it that, is a 1987 Honda elite 80 scooter I use for city riding. It’s great for the narrow streets of Philadelphia and the stop and go traffic. I can also get away with parting it next to bike racks so there is also ways free parking in old city. But I am looking to buy a new bike in a year or two but will keep the XJ Maxim as my classic and back up bike and put it under classic motorcycle insurance. Which goes for around 80 bucks a year. Looking to buy something on the lines of the Honda 919, kawasaki Ninja 650R, Triumph Speed Four, or Ducati M750 Monster.

5. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    CTSommers - great list - those all look sweet!

The 919 was a crush of mine from the day it came out - I remember watching it in the mags...

The summer it was available here someone brought the silver one as a first bike. They were on a divided two lane avenue type deal - and decided to move right to pass someone. Cracked the throttle lifted the nose. Turns out they were in the right turn only lane. They grabbed brake (front) landed the nose and promptly locked it up and low sided through the rose bushes... Needless to say the bike was totalled ( the gas tank alone they claimed was north of 800$ Canadian...) I saw it in the bike shop and asked what they wanted for it - they weren't helpful. Turns out they wanted it as a track bike... I was hoping to score a cheap bike. Later on I brought my 600 ninja instead

Other bikes I loved? Ninja 9r, 7rr, zx2r ( not the ex or the zzr), 919, tt600, 955i Daytonna, Sprint ST (Triumph), all ducs...

to narrow it down - the 650r is cheaper than the VFR and that's a huge selling point. It'll do the sporty riding at the destination, and purr on the highway. The question will be which feels better - and I haven't ridden the 650 yet.

6. Nobby

Nobby Member

At the moment I am riding the XJ 650 Maxim and a Suzuki GS 850, restoring a Honda 550/4, Honda 400/4 and a Yamaha XZ550. Before I retire from my current job I have promised myself a Vincent Black Shadow!!!!

Nobby C

7. pianomangg

pianomangg New Member

Hey Nobby,

That Vinny has got to be the most beautiful bike every made. That's a promise I hope you get to keep!

GG

8. Passe

Passe New Member

In the garage, near the XJ, I've a '04 kawasaki Z 750

9. secaman

secaman Member

i have a:

jawa 350/640 w/ sidecar

suzuki rv 90

and am planing on buying a honda xl600 for the dirt!

also the seca, of course :)

10. thefox

thefox Member

Well the seca is the lone 2 wheeler of mine but it does share the garrage with my Dad's '81 XS850 Special. After years of him not letting my bother and I get a bike he finnaly cracked and now after my bro and I have been riding for a few years he went out and got himself a bike.

Attached Files:

11. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

Apart from the XJ550, which has just burnt a valve out after the last 1100km trip

1982 IT200 the electrics have died on this and I need to get them rewound but until then it was in regular use on trailrides

1979 RD400, currently in a pile of parts awaiting a rebuild to turn it into a pre 82 race bike

1982 GN/DR150 Bucket race bike, this is bored/stroked, lightened balanced crankshaft, GN250 carb, hot cam, stainless exhaust, it went from 7 rwhp in stock form to 14rwhp, also has a box section alloy swingarm and GSXR250 front end and running 17 inch wheels and slick

And just building a F1 Roadrace sidecar with a 03 R1 motor in it

12. geebake

geebake Member

My current ride is an 82XJ650RJ. Parked next to it is an 82 GL1100 Goldwing. They might soon both get a new friend though in an 83 XJ650 Turbo that I have my eye on.

Bake

13. dm88

dm88 New Member

Without my xj600 i have 1967. Jawa 360/00 and 1988 Dnepr MT-11, and 1955. K-750!

14. dcmilkwagon

dcmilkwagon Member

Just bought a 1979 Suzuki GS550L. Picking it up saturday. 8)

15. SECA9

SECA9 New Member

'03 FJR1300
    '01 Yamaha WR250F enduro bike
    3....80's XR100's.
    '87 Kawi LTD454
    '71 Honda CT70
    2...80's Honda Z50's
    '85 V-Max non runner

And a room full of projects!

16. secaman

secaman Member

hey dm88

Without my xj600 i have 1967. Jawa 360/00 and 1988 Dnepr MT-11, and 1955. K-750!

do u have a sidecar rig withe dnepr or the jawa?

at the moment i have the jawa heads apart for decarbonization!

also the honda xl600 is already here!! :)

17. hoobatech

hoobatech New Member

18. secaman

secaman Member

1982 IT200 the electrics have died on this and I need to get them rewound but until then it was in regular use on trailrides

i also had a it200 and a it490, but just sold'em :(
    also i have owned a harley 50cc hummer! (sold)
    and a bultaco360 (sold)

19. Bravo12

Bravo12 New Member

2001 Suzuki GSF1200S Bandit. (Shown in light-touring trim, with the Corbin Beetlebags. Pic was taken last May somewhere on the Cherohala Skyway.)

[​IMG]

20. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

My other bike is a Trek 820 mountain bike. It's even more neglected than my poor Seca :D