1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What "new" bike would you buy?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by EdinaDad, May 18, 2008.

1. EdinaDad

EdinaDad Member

I really like my XJ750. The power, the shaft drive. The riding position. I just wish it had liquid cooling. And, maybe a bit more power.

So, I was just pondering what I would buy if I were to look for a new bike. You know, something made this century. Or millennium if you prefer.

I don't like the v-twin look. If I wanted a Harley, I would have been a mechanic.

Being close to 50, I also don't want a sport bike. (Knees and Backs are a bitch when you get older). I like the upright riding position that my Maxim provides.

Here would be my ideal in a "New" XJ:

Liquid cooled.
    Shaft Drive
    900-1200 cc's
    6 speed (better mileage)
    2 up saddle. (Newly single so I want to take a new friend for a ride) :p
    Good acceleration. (Give her more reasons to hold on) :wink:
    Tach and Speedo.

With that being said, what would you recommend?

What would you buy if you really wanted a new bike? And why?

Thanks, Dan

2. Ltdave

Ltdave Member

as far east as you can get in michigan 43.027407,
    yamaha XJR 1300...
    [​IMG]

too bad its not available in the states...

otherwise maybe a kawasaki ZRX 1200...
    [​IMG]

if i didnt do one of these then probably a Goldwing or the ST1300 (i THINK thats what they are called) from Honda...

that remark about the Harleys and being a mechanic is crap. ive got several friends who ride harleys and they dont do anymore 'repair' (implied) work than what ive had to do to my yamahas. the bikes are go from 70s pre-AMFs and AMFs to 2007 Nightsters with representatives from just about every model line...

3. BlackD

BlackD New Member

I would get a Honda VTX 1300 or 1800 if I could afford it. My father-in-law owns an 1800 and I love riding it.

4. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

I need a tissue to wipe the drool from the keyboard.
    The xjr1300 is beautiful.
    The stupid markets here....seems all the major choices are v-twin(ie a freaking tank, but two wheels) or a ~400lb superultramegasportbike(ie the nonutilitarian weekend machine)
    I try to ride everyday, focusing on fuel economy ;)

On a side note[thread hijack]
    If excessive NOISE is addressed in the states, I assume the crusier bikes sales will decrease. I have heard some of the harley and jap makers with quiet exhaust, they are darn quiet. Some of the guys with the 1300-1800 crusier bikes like to sit in residental areas reving over and over and over.
    This is why WE get bad names.
    JERKS :D[/thread hijack]

5. EdinaDad

EdinaDad Member

Lt. Dave,

I sincerely hope that you never have to tender that check you wrote. The price of freedom is sometimes way too high but will always be paid for by people such as yourself. And for that I am grateful.

Regarding the Harley comment. I was just teasing. A Harley just ain't my cup of tea. Or Sake'.

That XJR1300 reminds me of my Nighthawk S.

Another bike I thought of was the B-King or Hayabasu. Or even the Versys. Does Yamaha make a naked/standard bike anymore?

Dan

6. mark.deady

mark.deady Member

one bike comes to mind... the sv650 or 1000... they have a 6 speed and 4 diferent riding positions and looks to choose from. this is what i ab going with pending the sale of my 1980 xj650... hear is a link..... http://www.suzukicycles.com/products/SV650K8

enjoy mark

7. XJ4Keeps

XJ4Keeps Member

There are a number of big sport touring machines out there that would meet most of your criteria. The FJR1300 has a five-speed tranny, but would appear to have everything else you're looking for. I don't particularly like the ST1300 (I found it a little clumsy and somewhat unstable at speed), but it might be a good choice for someone with a more relaxed riding style than mine. The new Concourse 14 looks like a hell of a bike, although I've yet to ride one. If you've got deep pockets, there are several BMW models that would probably suit your needs.
    If you are more into the naked-bike thing, you might consider something like a V-Max, or the Beemer R1200R, or even the Guzzi Breva. Insistence on shaft drive will limit your options, but there's bound to be something out there that you like.
    As for me, I'd love to have a new K1200GT, but I ain't that rich. The '08 FJR would run a pretty close second.

8. RangerG

RangerG Member

XJR 1300 is my dream machine. When I wake up, I think I would buy a Suzuki Bandit 1250. Sport-touring ergonomics, liquid cooled, fuel injected, lots of power and room for two up riding and reasonably priced.

9. Zookie400

Zookie400 Active Member

ill probably get flamed for these........

HONDA CRF450 or a SUZUKI RMZ450 (both setup for supermoto)
    SUZUKI DRZ400sm
    HARLEY V-ROD.

honestly though, now that i have been screwing around in the bike world....i dont think i want to buy my next ride. i want to BUILD it!

10. Great_Buffalo

Great_Buffalo Member

Here's my short list:

Susuki 650 V-Strom for it's light weight, adventure capabilities and the miles you can make before fueling as well as the price.

YAMAHA FJR1300R Sweet sport tourer, wonderful in the twisties

BMW F 800 GS - Great off road, Lots and lots of dirt in South Dakota. Light weight, great Rotax power. awsome adventure bike

BMW R 1200 GS Adventure - If money was no object. It's simply the best at what it is. You can travel nearly 400 miles between fuel stops. Even strips away the miles on the super slab. My friend has 2 of these, I ride with him as often as I can, who wouldn't?

The Buff

11. MidniteMax

MidniteMax Member

I got a friend who just got a new BMW R 1200 GS Adventure. I gotta agree, it's everything The Buff said about it.

A bit expensive for me though.

My ideal plans are to find a slightly used Black Cherry 2007 FJR1300 in a couple of years. Man, Oh Man! That would be the ticket.

I kinda like the 2008 KLR650 too.

Rusty

12. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

I think the next one for me is around a 2005-current Honda Saber 1100 with the stock flame paint job!!

13. Hyperion

Hyperion Member

2k8 kawa ZX-14 ninja 8) :lol:
    [​IMG]

14. Hillsy

Hillsy Member

My brother and I recently took out a Beemer GS1200 and a Buell Ulysses for a back to back test.

The Buell won hands down for everything.

I was pretty surprised at that after all the good press the GS had received.

Anyways, back to the topic....

Liquid cooled.
    Shaft Drive
    900-1200 cc's
    6 speed (better mileage)
    2 up saddle. (Newly single so I want to take a new friend for a ride)
    Good acceleration. (Give her more reasons to hold on)
    Tach and Speedo.

I can only think of one bike that totally fits the bill - BMW K1200 (the 4 cyl one).

15. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

XJR1300. Want. :mrgreen:

16. cruzerjd

cruzerjd Member

I've said before, when my Seca gets old and worn out, i am going to buy a Yamaha Warrior. 1700 cc, 95 lb/ft torque and a nice fat rear wheel. Fuel injection would be nice too. There is the new Star Raider out now too. 1800cc, over 100 lb/ft torque and about 12 flat in the 1/4 mile stock. You can get a decent Warrior for about $6500 around here. Another bike i like the looks of is the triumph Thruxton. 900cc parallel twin, not very fast but looks nice and a lot of hopup stuff available to make it faster. There is even a racing league for the Thruxtons. cruzerjd

17. willierides

willierides Member

I want one of each!

I guess my rundown would look something like this:

Cruiser (for my wife and me to ride two up): Honda VTX or on of the Yamaha "Star" models or MAYBE a Vulcan (had a '91, good bike not so well built imho)....nothing smaller than 900-1100 cc's.

Bike for solo riding: Love the Kawi ZXR or whatever they are (higher in this thread), the FJR's, VFR's....not so crazy about the ST's, but I like.

Another direction I'm seriously considering is a large bore on/off bike....like the KTM (530?), Honda XR or Suzuki DR. Prefer the KTM for it's off-road capability. I live in close proximity to a LOT of dual sport riding and really enjoy that activity. To have an off-road capable, road legal ride is most likely going to be my next addition to the stable....

18. MrShake

MrShake Member

the Yam Warrior is a hot bike, but

If I had my choice right now (no restrictions) it would be the Suzuki Boulevard M109R

[​IMG]

More practically, I like the way the V-Storm feels. And eventually, a Goldwing 1800 for cruising around.

19. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

Suzuki B-KING hands down...

20. Madone1

Madone1 Member

This is s great topic. For me, the funny thing is each time that I have walked through a dealership in the past few years, I find myself loving my Maxim even more. I have a round trip daily commute of 10 miles, with a maximum speed limit of 45mph along the way. My XS400J is about the perfect bike for that. When I look at all the new bikes on a showroom floor, I see these wide, heavy, cumbersome rides that I don't think could make my commute any better. I look at the nice motorcycle designs from the 80s and 90s and think alll in all, those were more versatile and practical machines. Would I like to add another bike to my collection? Of course. But that "new" bike would probably be something like an '85 or '86 XJ700, which would would also be as affordable, low-maintenance, and fun as my Maxim 400!