1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What Should You NOT Do to Your Yamaha Today?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by PSteele, Jul 30, 2010.

1. PSteele

PSteele Member

Reverse the choke and throttle cables when installing new engine.

As my Newfoundland pals would say, "well, that was some dumb there b'ye". And hardly some dumb - a lot dumb! No wonder throttle would make her cough like hell and she revved like hell upon starting. And no wonder she would rev like hell, die and not restart.

Jeez Louise!

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

You shouldn't attempt to remove your middle gear oil drain plug today, either.... :D

3. cturek

cturek Member

Or dismounting the bike forgetting to put the side stand down! I'm not admitting to anything, but you should not do this!

4. zacthepain

zacthepain New Member

or fail to take out the slack in your timing chain after alligning the cams...not that I would know anything about that!!

5. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Or ride to fast, you might get a ticket.

6. PSteele

PSteele Member

Cinch the fairing frame up too far and pinch the front brake hose just enough that it doesn't slack off, almost cooking your brake pads and warping the rotor...MAN - the crap we do to ourselves!

7. bkerby

bkerby Member

Damn I thought I was the only idiot that had done this.

8. dbikers

dbikers Member

hahaha!!!! agreed! i did this yesterday at work....bike broke down (trans :evil: ) yesterday a mile from work on lunch break...limped back in 1st gear (had to take her off road through 1/2 mile of open fields after i walked it to make sure there were no obsticals). When i dismounted i forgot to put the sidestand down....felt like a real a$$hole! :mrgreen:

9. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

leave the battery tender unplugged over night after having the key on for hours checking lights, tuning carbs, etc man these things really don't charge at idle.....

10. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Don't hastily kick the sidestand down so hard that it flips back up, as you throw the bike over - - on the ground ! ( at least it had a crash bar)

11. markie

markie Member

Come on guys! Fit pod air filters to make it run better.

12. venlis

venlis Member

you shouldnt let your family bring all your granpas stuff in your garage, blocking most of your chances to do work on the bike. just a thought naturally :)

13. capthowdysmember2003

capthowdysmember2003 New Member

You shouldn't get so mad at your bike that you forget it doesnt have four wheels and kick it. Thank god it WASN'T my xj that happened to. On the other hand I'm pretty sure the poor little Suzuki beater didn't like it very much.

14. superluckycat

superluckycat Member

Did it. Pulled my hamstring trying to keep it from going over and broke the clutch lever. My only motorcycle related injury. And it happened @ 0 mph! :lol:

15. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

You should NOT put a freshly painted front fender on the bike before you have everything else assembled on the handlebars or you WILL drop a screwdriver and put a huge chip into that perfect paint job.

Just sayin it MIGHT happen

16. hellbilly

hellbilly Member

you should never over fill your brake resivior pouring brake fluid onto the plastic yamaha nameplate on the side of the tank. that is unless you want a tagless tank like mine now is.

17. denissimo

denissimo New Member

Not park it out on the road.
    Got back home after a ride and the asshole next door had parked his car opposite my gate and I couldn't get the bike in, so I had to leave it on the road, so I set the alarm.
    Half an hour later, I ran outside, closely followed by my dog when I heard the alarm going off, and saw four or five teenage lads wheeling it down the hill with the alarm still going off. As soon as they realised me and a huge dog were after them, they dropped the bike and ran off in different directions. I went off after 2 of them and the dog went after another one.
    I had to give up the chase as I was worn out. I then heard one of the lads scream and realised my dog hadnt given up the chase and had got one of them. A big bone for my dog as reward later on
    I am now sat at home waiting for the lads parents to turn and complain about my dog biting him. But will he have told his parents the truth!
    I initially described them as teenage lads, but feral animals is a more accurate description. As for the asshole next door, he refuses to open his door to me!
    I now have a cracked fairing, a broken mirror and a bent gear lever. :evil: :evil: :evil:

18. SimonRef

SimonRef Member

Take your Bug splattered pride and joy to the jetwash and drown the electrics and ignition system. :oops:

19. pabstblueribbon

pabstblueribbon Member

Don't park it outside my house overnight! Some jerk stole my bike this weekend right outside. Fortunately they ran out of gas on my local expressway and the state police recovered. Its nice when someone steals your bike and you still have to pay the impound fees.....at least I got my bike back :D

20. mhhpartner

mhhpartner Member

You should not attempt to use the weight of the bike on the fork legs to help you get the plugs unstuck out of the tops of the forks. The plugs might let go all at once and shoot into the rafters of your shop, and you might crack your 28 year old front fender and end up in a 5-minute wrestling match with a 400 - 500 pound motorcycle.

I'm not saying it WILL happen, but it could.