1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What the cat dragged home

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by JBurch, Jun 28, 2019.

1. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

Sad news is, it's already removed, I just want to put it back where it belongs.............

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think you have to drop the exhaust

3. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

I think you are right..........I am NOT excited.......another mis-print ( not really mis-print, just lack of warning) in the manual about having to drop exhaust system to service bike

4. XJ550H

5. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

They left that detail right out of the owners manual that came with the bike, they inform you of the drain plug, just not how to get to it.

I hope I can get the collector off without taking the head pipes off..............

6. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

Took the head pipes and collector off; no issues with the clamps/nuts/studs...Thank you Jesus....drain plug back where it belongs......I don't really mind talking the exhaust off, warning would have been nice, I don't consider that a little detail.

Manuals are written to convey information to do a job; makes little difference if you are a "trained" mechanic or a dedicated hobbyist, lack of information is lack of information.

Just as well I took the pipes off, had to shake Micky's bedding and stored food stuffs out of the collector

7. XJ550H

if the yamaha book was a training manual Yamaha dealerships wouldn't make any money.
    I doubt they remove that plug when changing oil

8. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

tr

So the customer suffers because the technicians are given no or bad information.....to that point, story circulated a local dealer; no longer in business; wrecked a head and barrel on a Verago (sp?) trying to get it apart, but he was a factory tech!!

You are correct, that plug is not removed, that cavity is not drained, you're charged for the service

9. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

Up date..............
    Went out for a ride yesterday, something more than a 1/2 hour trip. Did about 200 miles here in central NY, Finger lakes region. Was a great day for a ride; still very rusty, maybe take a riders course in the spring.
    The bike ran great, but it rides like an unsprung buck board!! Expansion joint bumps were/are harsh. Rear shocks set in the middle, I'm 180lbs, I think (there I go trying new things) spring adjustment should have been about right. I even adjusted down one step softer at friend Steve's house, still felt kinda stiff on the ride home from his house, about 40 miles.. Front forks seemed kinda harsh also. Granted I have a set of Progressive springs in the forks (in the bike when I got it) 10w fork oil, I wouldn't think it should make for a punishing ride.
    What kind of mileage should I get out of this thing?
    It's trying to be a British bike for me!! I have an oil drip in the left side, low about even with the shifter.

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Jump up to 15 weight fork oil, and drop the preload on the rear shocks to the lowest position. At 180 you are about the correct weight for the spec Yamaha used for the solo rider (rear shocks set to the minimum preload, or one step above minimum). Keep in mind that you have simple damper-rod shocks and forks. The ride quality will not be up to modern standards on anything other than smooth roads. Expansion joints will be very noticeable.

The stock fork springs were progressively wound, so those could be the stock springs still.

11. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

Last 40 miles of ride, rear springs one step above min, will try fork oil change, fork springs are from Progressive spring/suspension.......all I've ever riden is simple damper-rod shocks and forks, so I have no sense of new/modern suspension......foggy memory says I've riden smoother bikes, the only similar riding experience I remember is the expansion joints of Route 94 E/W in southern California back in 1973, made my kidneys hurt.

12. k-moe

The rear shocks clould be all worn out.

13. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

Possibility I suppose, 28,000 miles and 37 years old. Suggestions for replacements IF they be worn out.

Question: earlier you suggested to change fork oil to 15 weight; why go thicker and not thinner?

14. k-moe

1. Progressive makes a nice set of shocks, so do several others.

2. More dampening reduces the "pogo effect" that's making the expansion joints hit you hard in the rear. Most of us have found that 10 weight fork oil is just a bit too thin, and have settled on 15.