1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What tires do you ride?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Sarah, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Sarah

Sarah maxim-um fun

Looking for some new shoes.. 20160928_141130.jpg

Pic is my rear Dunlop 404, the front still in good shape. ~9k miles on the set. It's definitely a good tire for the price, but it breaks loose too easily under quick acceleration for my liking, and obviously wears quicker down the middle because of this, and Indiana's mainly straight roads.

What tire do you guys ride and recommend?

I'm intrigued by this tire, or something similar. "designed for older sport bikes and mid size sport touring bikes" with a dual tread compound .

http://www.revzilla.com/product/bridgestone-battlax-bt45-high-performance-tires

2. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

My buddy who's ridden for years says he replaces his rear tire twice as often as his front as a rule.
    I hear a lot of love for the Dunlop 404. I'm also liking my Avon AM26 (have those front and rear).

3. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Dunlop D404 is all I have ever used. Same deal, rear last half as long as front.
    Only reason is the price is decent and others have recommended it.

4. mrdawson

mrdawson Active Member

d404 also

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

what ever tire you buy you should get a matched set front and rear
    your link is to Bridgestone Battle ax BT45

6. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Have a set of Avon AM26 RoadRiders on my X now. Had a set of D404's, Metzler Lazertecs, and several others over the years. The Avons are the best tires yet. I'm sure the rear will wear out quicker than the front on this set but they stick very well. They are V rated to 150MPH (not that I'll ever go that fast) so that's a very good indication of the quality of the tires construction.

Got mine here:
    https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/750/22938/Avon-Roadrider-AM26-Rear-Motorcycle-Tire

Tony

7. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

8. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Anyone running Bridgestone Spitfire with white letters? Do they ride and handle well on the XJ's?

I like white lettering to keep the 70/80's look.

My back Dunlop is factory whitewall, forget the model, my front is 404 with letters painted with a white sharpie. So far its held up two years, but I garage my bike.

9. JHM

JHM New Member

Pirelli sport demons. So far so good, wet weather has been good so far as well.

10. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I do. Only have about 1000 miles on them so far but they handle great wet or dry and I dig the white letter look.

11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Kenda Challenger because they're cheap like me

Andrew Nichols, k-moe and XJ550H like this.
  12. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

13. Sarah

Sarah maxim-um fun

14. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

What do you like about them? I run cheap on my Kaw and just put a set of Shinko 712 on it. Love them so far as well but always open to good inexpensive DD tires.

15. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

16. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

I followed the reviews and made my choice that way. My experience thus far with buying from Revzilla is that you won't find a better price out there, the customer service is great, shipping is fast and free (over $39) and their return policy is pretty darn good. I found a local shop willing to do the mount and balance for $50/per as long as I pulled the wheels off myself.

They also kick back a $5 bill in store credit for every $100 you spend... (on most but not all brands) which doesn't hurt.

17. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

18. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

I have used Bridgestone SE11 on a few bikes and sold tons of them back in the day . It appears that se11 is being phased out, many other brands with new technology and radial design more popular
    That being said they are a decent tire and look good in white letters.

19. Sarah

Sarah maxim-um fun

[QUOTE="Nuch, post: 542987, member: 16382] I found a local shop willing to do the mount and balance for $50/per as long as I pulled the wheels off myself.

[/QUOTE]

I agree about Revzilla, I really like them!

But $50 PER tire mount and balance? Is that right? My shop charged $10 for the rear, we did the front ourselves. Buuut, I bought the tires from them so that's probably why the discount. Their prices were very close to Revzilla's price, were actually cheaper for the rear.

If that shop can order tires for you, and would give you a discount for mount and balance for ordering through them, it might end up being cheaper than ordering tires from Revzilla and paying the shop $100 for mount and balance. Just a thought... The local shop we patronize also offers military (and I assume LEO) discounts and throws in a "loyal customer" discount for us every now and then. :D

Another few hundred mile opinion of the Michelin Commander 2's I picked:

Awesome! I hit some rain, and a newly laid gravel road, no appreciable difference, felt solid as ever. They don't 'follow' tar snakes and road cracks like the Dunlop's did, either. Very confidence inspiring. If the advertised mileage is anywhere near accurate, these tires will be well worth the cost to me.

Stumplifter likes this.
  20. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

I agree about Revzilla, I really like them!

But $50 PER tire mount and balance? Is that right? My shop charged $10 for the rear, we did the front ourselves. Buuut, I bought the tires from them so that's probably why the discount. Their prices were very close to Revzilla's price, were actually cheaper for the rear.

If that shop can order tires for you, and would give you a discount for mount and balance for ordering through them, it might end up being cheaper than ordering tires from Revzilla and paying the shop $100 for mount and balance. Just a thought... The local shop we patronize also offers military (and I assume LEO) discounts and throws in a "loyal customer" discount for us every now and then. :D

Another few hundred mile opinion of the Michelin Commander 2's I picked:

Awesome! I hit some rain, and a newly laid gravel road, no appreciable difference, felt solid as ever. They don't 'follow' tar snakes and road cracks like the Dunlop's did, either. Very confidence inspiring. If the advertised mileage is anywhere near accurate, these tires will be well worth the cost to me.[/QUOTE]
    $50 per tire is thievery, with no bike shop nearby I use a local auto shop that has a tire machine they let me use ( beer helps grease the wheels ) and I balance them at home.