1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What tires do you ride?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Sarah, Oct 3, 2016.

1. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

I found if you buy tires from the shop, $20 or less for mount and balance. If you bring the tires, they'll charge $50-$80 for the same thing.

2. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing... buy from them and have them mount them as well. But the following is what I found when it was time for new rubber.

#1. ALL shops (at least the ones I called... and one didn't even bother to call me back with the price.) here on long island are WAAAAAY more expensive to purchase the actual tires, vs. online.
    #2.) Some shops WONT mount a tire they didn't sell you.
    #3.) There was really no break on price for mounting. $50 (and some even went so far as to say tax in NOT included in that price) is the going rate around here even if you buy the tire from them.

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i'd mount and balance tires all day long for 40$ each :)

4. lush90

lush90 Member

Seattle area has a guy on CL with a tire machine at his house, I believe he's $30 per tire

5. Yardawg

Yardawg Active Member

Although I haven't put a lot of miles on them yet, I've really been liking my Michelin commander II's on my 750 Maxim.

6. RonWagner

RonWagner Member

Bridgestone BattleAx BT45. They are great handling and are made in sizes that fit our old bikes. I run them on all my vintage bikes.

dowski68 likes this.
  7. Marl

Marl New Member

My 650 Maxim has a set of the Bridgestone Spitfires on it they look really good on it I agree but I've never ridden on them since I haven't gotten the bike back on the road. They're 20-plus years old too..... based on all the reviews I picked up a set of the 404's from Motorcycle Superstore. I have also contemplated painting the letters white on them.
    I have a set of old I have a set of old tire tools. I mount and dismount my own by hand it's not that hard and I throw a bag or 2 of balance in them when I do

8. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Local dealer here was within a few dollars of online price for my Dunlop, and charged $12 to mount and balance (I took the wheel off and remounted to bike).

Marl, I painted the letters my Dunlop 404 with a white sharpie. I cleaned the rubber with paint thinner first, to remove any oils. It has held up two years, but I don't drive in harsh weather, and I garage the bike.

Marl likes this.
  9. Andrew Nichols

Andrew Nichols Active Member

I've been really satisfied with the Kenda 671 and 673 that I run on my VT1100C Shadow. Just got my '82 750 Seca up and running, good tread for now but will probably be looking in year or so...

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Did you check the date codes?

11. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

I just recently upgraded to the Battle axe tires my self. How much life do you usually get out of yours? Normal commuter riding.

12. Andrew Nichols

I haven't checked the date codes But they should be less than 5 years old as that's when the 2nd owner acquired it. It only as 12,000 miles on it! The carbs were a mess. I was surprised that bleeding the front brakes with the anti-dive was not very difficult, just the old squeeze the lever and open the bleed valve, I was done in less than 45 minutes. 14322702_10211030937879183_1586828448453367638_n.jpg

Jetfixer and Dadoseven like this.
  13. Andrew Nichols

14364659_10211033675187614_8997585957820011217_n.jpg 14368767_10211033691548023_9102571098296002539_n.jpg 17917597_10213199570933654_1532065101129383790_o.jpg dirty carbs.jpg

Jetfixer, craiygxj and Dadoseven like this.
  14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Never, ever assume. Check the codes.

A straight bleed of the system is easy. It's bleeding when you've rebuilt it all that can be a bear.
    Did you check the date codes on the brake lines?
    I am a bit jealous of your unfaded gauges and sparkly paint :)

craiygxj and Stumplifter like this.
  15. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

yes, fine looking specimen there.

craiygxj likes this.
  16. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

It looks like it was never left outside to bake

17. Andrew Nichols

I think that it was always garaged.

18. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Dunlop D404's from Revzilla. Love them. One poster mentioned that his D404's track some but mine don't track at all. The cheap tires that were on it when I bought it tracked pretty bad with the center groove running down the front tire. The D404's are great.

19. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I agree about Revzilla, I really like them!

But $50 PER tire mount and balance? Is that right? My shop charged $10 for the rear, we did the front ourselves. Buuut, I bought the tires from them so that's probably why the discount. Their prices were very close to Revzilla's price, were actually cheaper for the rear.

If that shop can order tires for you, and would give you a discount for mount and balance for ordering through them, it might end up being cheaper than ordering tires from Revzilla and paying the shop $100 for mount and balance. Just a thought... The local shop we patronize also offers military (and I assume LEO) discounts and throws in a "loyal customer" discount for us every now and then. :D

Another few hundred mile opinion of the Michelin Commander 2's I picked:

Awesome! I hit some rain, and a newly laid gravel road, no appreciable difference, felt solid as ever. They don't 'follow' tar snakes and road cracks like the Dunlop's did, either. Very confidence inspiring. If the advertised mileage is anywhere near accurate, these tires will be well worth the cost to me.[/QUOTE]

If you are close to Indy Cycle Outfitters has good prices and if you but the tires from them free mount and balance. I have used Shinko tires on several bikes I've owned not bad tires great price and good wear.

20. PilotSmack

PilotSmack Active Member

Had D404's, they were alright, especially for the price.

Tried Bridgestone Battleax BT45s next, which felt like a huge improvement over the Dunlops, mainly because the 404's always felt lumpy to me, like riding on a wheel made of Lego. These tires were MUCH smoother, though it started to get kinda sketchy when you got closer to the chickenstrips in the rain. Rear lasted 12,000km. Front looked okay at that point, but then I switched to my current tire:

Pirelli Sport Demons. They are a much better tire wet/dry and for launching off the line, however they are definitely a bit softer than the Battleax's... 5000km and I'm starting to see pretty decent wear on the rear. I'll probably swap out the rear to a Sport Demon when it's due, but when I have to replace the front, I'll probably switch back to the Battleax.