1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What tires do you ride?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Sarah, Oct 3, 2016.

1. The Bingles

The Bingles New Member

I've just fitted a pair of Maxxis M6011 classics to my XJ650 maxim bobber project, I was looking at the whitewall version but these were twice the price and hard to find in the UK. These have a more classic tyre tread than the sportier Avon's.

2. Greggy

Greggy Member

Last year I got a back tire for my 1980 xj650, I got it off Amazon for under 80 shipped, it a shinko 777 HD nice looking tread pattern nice riding tire but for some reason it rubs ever so lightly on the left drive shaft side, the tire size I got is 16/90/130 that's what the bike calls for but o guess they made it a little over size,I ride on it no problem I just thought that was weird and wondering if anyone else has this tire with the same problem? I took it off the bike myself and took it and my tire to the shop to get changed and balanced, I think it cost 48 dollars and they Made me buy a new valve stem for ten bucks even though mine was fine, BS

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Shinko doesn't say in their catalog, but if it's a radial belted tire the sidewall profile will be wider than the tread width. That's why it's rubbing. The original tires for the bike were bias belted. The HD version (which you bought) will be wider anyway since it has 6 plys instead of 4. Unless you're touring, or riding two-up all the time, you don't need the HD version of that tire (even then you don't really need a 6 ply tire on a comparatively light motorcycle).

4. May_J_Aaron

May_J_Aaron Josh May

Revzilla owns Cycle Gear in case you guys didn't know :p

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Dude....the thread is two years old...

6. May_J_Aaron

May_J_Aaron Josh May

Hahahaha for the future people!
    At least I'm searching for my answers! :p

Cycle Gear is a large company that can mount tires for a low cost.
    I'm obviously searching for tires soon. :)

Andrew Nichols and k-moe like this.