1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What's Up Everyone Im A Noob....

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by YourHero, Jun 17, 2013.

1. YourHero

YourHero New Member

I'm Wayne, Like I Said I Am A Noob. Just Bought My First Street Bike Im Gonna Try To Post A Pic Of It 1981 XJ 750R Seca Picked It Up For $700.00 Runs Good (Not Great Like I Want It To ) Rides Good. I Love It. ( Rode Dirt Bikes, 3Wheelers Ect As A Kid A Lot ) And So Far Ive Learned A Lot From Just Reading The Post On Here. I Hope I Can Help People On Here And Get Some Advice My Self. BTW I Live In Wyoming And 7200ft Above Sea Level So Our Riding Season Is Short. This Is A Great Site! Take Care Everyone
    [​IMG][/url][/img]
    [​IMG][/url][/img]

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I like the paint scheme. Could you post a few pics of the wind-fairing-screen. It looks interesting.

3. cdilmore

cdilmore Member

Welcome from western NY, Wayne. GREAT lookin' bike.

4. YourHero

YourHero New Member

[​IMG][/url][/img]
    Thanks @cdilmore. @k-moe Here Is Another Pic. I Took It Off To Repaint The Handle Bars And Have Not Put It Back On But Ill Tell Yeah Im Going To Put It Back On LOL

5. moellear

moellear Member

Its a great looking bike, but make sure you've checked the rear brake for delamination. Only you are the judge of how well you know your bike, and we can't measure how much you've read on here but its a stickler that surprisingly nobody else has mentioned yet. Last thing you want is that rear brake to not function properly when you need it the most!

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Front lines look original too; lots to be done there.

7. Kilted_to_the_Max(im)

Kilted_to_the_Max(im) Member

Your computer is broken, it's capitalizing every word in a sentence. :D Welcome to XJBikes!

Nice looking bike, and that was a good price you got if the miles aren't too high. Here's the question you should ask yourself:

Do I trust my life that the previous owner has made sure this bike both safe and efficient and I just want to jump on 2 wheels and ride? If the answer is "yes", sell it now and buy a newer bike.

If the answer is "no", then we're here for you; that's what we answered too! :D

All the info you'll need is on this forum, either from the search function or by asking questions. We even have some high elevation people who will know some of the issues you may have with your mix. The Wizards will give you a sequence of troubleshooting and repair that WILL get you where we all want to go; zooming down the road and everyone looking at us with envy.

The important thing is to remember what Gandalf asked:

"Is it secret? Is it safe?"

Ok, just the latter is relevant. Brakes need to be checked (front lines are only good for 4-5 years, back shoes delaminate if you're not looking). Your basic engine mechanics (valve clearances, carbs, gaskets) should be investigated, cleaned and brought up to spec. Rubber (tires, lines, possibly boots) will probably need to be replaced. Eventually you'll upgrade lines, blulbs, and fuses, and everything else you're interested in, but get the basics covered, with an unscrupulous level of detail, and you'll have a blast riding through some of the most beautiful scenery in the USA. *jealous*

8. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Member

Welcome to the best site out there!

9. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

10. YourHero

YourHero New Member

@adrian1 LOL. Nice To Meet You All, Well There Is Some Work To Be Done On This One, Now I Got A Good Place To Start To Get This Baby To A Beauty. Funny Story... Drove It To Work Tuesday And When I Took It Home At The End Of The Day Front Wheel Was Locking Up, The Previous Owner Just Replaced The Tires. Took A Look At It Today. He Or Who Ever Installed The Front Wheel Put The Washer On The Inside Of The Axle Between The Fork And the Wheel Instead Of At The Fork And The Axle Nut, Brake Rotors Where Rubbing On The Caliper Mounting Bracket... Just A Good Thing I Didn't Get This Thing On The Hwy. Moral Of The Story...DONT Trust Previous Owners

11. Kilted_to_the_Max(im)

Kilted_to_the_Max(im) Member

QFT.

12. gijim

gijim Member

Greetings from just up the road in Casper! These are fun bikes. There is alot of good advice on this site.

13. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The REAL Moral Of The Story: You can't just jump on a 30-year old bike and start riding it; you need to go through it first to ensure it's at the very least, safe.

Mis-assembly may not be the only cause for the front brakes to drag.