1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Where is the best place to buy a valve cover gasket

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Littleberg, May 15, 2008.

1. Littleberg

Littleberg New Member

The gasket is cracked and leaking, and upon inspection I thought it best to replace the entire thing. I searched the forums, but most people spoke only of sealing it with RTF (I believe).
    Does anybody know a good website that would sell a gasket for a reasonable price? I would hate to actually go to the Yamaha dealer.

I've got an 82 maxim xj550

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Here you go. I always have these in stock:

cc) OEM and aftermarket Valve Cover Gaskets and Cam-End Plugs, high-quality molded rubber gaskets or fiber gaskets fix leaks and restore a like-new seal.

Fiber-paper gaskets are used on all '80-1 XJ650 models, '82 XJ650 Seca, all XJ650 Turbo models, and XJ1100 models.

Molded rubber gaskets are used on all XJ550 models, '82-4 XJ650 Maxim, all XJ700-X and XJ750-X models, all XJ750 models, and the XJ900RK models.

NOTE: if you've never replaced your rubber valve cover gasket, you're in for treat!

These spongy, rubbery gaskets have a small molded-in protruding locating-alignment "tab" (along it's entire length!) that fits into a matching, machined-in recess in the valve cover. This design works great at preventing leaks; however, given the "wiggly" nature of this gasket, its rather long and complicated outline and length, and given the fact that these gaskets tend to run just a hair undersized in overall length (compared to the dimension of the valve cover), all this means that installation can be, well, a challenge. The locating tab in the gasket tries to wiggle its way out of its groove in the valve cover, especially around the corners and bends. Both the original and the reproduction gaskets exhibit this tendency, with the reproductions being slightly worse in this regards.

The solution is to use a very tacky gasket adhesive, or any quick-drying, high-tack glue compound to get the gasket to seat correctly onto the valve cover before attempting install (because of the limited spaces involved, it is hard to re-position the valve cover, with the gasket glued to the bottom, back onto the head without bumping it around a bit). Although I'm sure that some people can install the gasket/valve cover correctly without resorting to such measures, it sure makes life easier if you perform this "cheat". We won't tell anyone if you don't.......

Also, for the owners of 1980-81 XJ650 Maxim & Midnight Maxim models,
    1982 XJ650 Seca models, 1982-83 650 Turbo models, and 1982 XJ1100
    models, you'll also want to replace the half-circle shaped cam-end rubber
    plugs (2 per head, on the right side only) also. On all other models besides
    these, the cam-end plugs are integral (molded into) the valve cover gasket
    itself, and do not need to be ordered separate from the valve cover gasket.

NOTE: do NOT use gasket sealant on the bottom of the valve cover gasket. There is no sealant used nor recommended between the valve cover gasket and the cylinder head itself. Adhesive is only used to retain and seal the gasket to the bottom of the valve cover!

And finally, make sure you replace the valve cover hold-down bolt Rubber Washers (on models so equipped). Yamaha used a mid-shouldered bolt with a conical rubber "washer" above the shoulder to exert downward pressure onto the valve cover, thus insuring adequate force on the valve cover and onto the cover gasket to maintain a proper seal and thereby preventing leaks. Over time, these rubber washers get compressed and lose their "pushing" ability, thus allowing the valve cover to "loosen" its force on the gasket below. This is a major cause of oil leaks from around the valve cover area, and should be one of the first areas to check and replace if you discover small leaks from around the valve cover gasket. These washers are also a "must-replace" item when replacing a valve cover gasket. The valve cover bolts themselves rarely wear out; only the rubber washers do. Be advised that removing and installing these washers onto the shoulder bolts can be tricky, but patience and effort and maybe some silicone grease (part HCP1714) does wonders to make this task easier.

All XJ550 models:

HCP2095 OEM Valve Cover Rubber Gasket:
    $ 61.00

HCP1623 Reproduction Valve Cover Rubber Gasket:
    $ 32.00

3. Littleberg

Littleberg New Member

Thanks Chacal-I think I'll be ordering through you soon. Appreciate the quick response. It's getting warm here in Minnesota finally-Would love to have it nice and tuned for the summer!

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

I'll recommend Chacal, the aftermarket gasket I bought works just fine, at half the price of the OEM.
    And the material you are probably referring to is RTV, Room Temperature Vulcanizing. It is usually a silicone base adhesive/sealant.

5. Littleberg

Littleberg New Member

I ordered the gasket through Chacal today. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help!

6. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Littleberg, thanks!......I just sent to you a PM, please review!