1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Which round headlight will fit a 750 Seca?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by ryanismyname, Mar 29, 2011.

1. ryanismyname

ryanismyname Member

The last theft attempt on my '82 Seca 750 damaged the headlight, as well as the speedo housing. I want to get rid of both and install a round headlight. I've seen a few projects on here, one with a headlight from a CB650. I've tried contacting the builders but nobody has answered.

Does anyone know a round headlight that will fit my bike without modification? Didn't some of the 750 Maxims have a round headlight?

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The "standard" 7" round Yamaha headlight as used on all of the 550s, the 650 Maxim and various other Yammies of the era is probably the most readily available. It should fit with little or no issue other than maybe some spacers.

You'll have a bigger challenge if you replace the "fish finder."

3. ryanismyname

ryanismyname Member

Thanks for the heads up on the light, Fitz.

As for the bar-mounted Super Nintendo, I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do about that. The speedo self-destructed shortly after I bought it, so I've learned to live without one. The only thing I'd really like to have is a tach and an oil light. Everything else is superfluous, really. I know when my highbeams are on, and I don't trust the neutral light any.

4. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Ummm...SNES...more like ATARI! Super Nintendo came out in the 90s :p

Just my $.02: My idiot lights have served me very well, and all worked. Even that darn TAIL warning that kept flashing intermittently for six months. It always went away before I got to my garage to check it out...everything seemed to be working. Turned out it was a bad bulb with a filament that broke and would lose contact on hard acceleration, only to make a connection again a short time later.

5. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Someone tried to steal an 82 Seca? Wow, crap area, or someone doesn't like you...

6. Militant_Buddhist

Militant_Buddhist Member

I have an XS400R that was stolen from and recovered by the PO. Some people's kids I tell ya.

Ryan,
    I'd take a look at all the crap that Yamaha stuffed into our plastic box rectangle headlight bucket. There are a lot of large electrical connectors, one fuse, diode blocks, two horns... My guess is that it'll be a tight fit into a 7" bucket even after ditching the horns. or some of that may need to be relocated too. Keep that in mind while shopping.
    Heck, I tossed my horns just cuz I never use 'em and got sick of digging through them to get to other stuff whenever I had the headlight out.

7. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

There are 17 wires going into and out of the big ugly square speedometeter/tach housing. I carefully went thru all of them, using a wire diagram and labeled all of them. Then I decided what I was going to use after my modification process. I just kept the high beam indicator wires, the turn signal indicator wires, the nuetral indicator wires, and the speedometer light wires (most of them share a common ground wire, so in some cases, I only had to label one wire) Then the wires I didn't use (still labeled) I taped them up and tucked away behind the fork pivot using wire ties to hold them securely in place. I have them hid from sight behind a piece of hard black plastic wrapped around them around the fork shaft housing.
    The new round headlight (used) on mine is off of a Kawasaki (7") using an old pair of Suzuki headlight mounts I found in the scrap yard (hey they fit!)
    So just about any kind of round headlight will work as long as you can find or fabricate some kind of way to mount it on the forks.
    There are cheaper headlight ears on Ebay for little money that will work very well to mount a round headlight to the fork tubes. Just search for 'headlight ears" or "headlight brackets" in the motorcycle parts section.

8. zap2504

zap2504 Member

Just know that the OEM headlight is held on by the assembly that also holds the goofy remote master cylinder behind the headlight so you will need to deal with that too if you do away with the headlight mounts. [Also, the remote MC will cause you to push the headlight further forward than you might want.] Probably best to replace it with a bar-mounted MC from a FZ1 or FJ1100/1200 or similar. Then there are the horns that originally fit between the headlight and aux light... As far as speedo replacement, the most elegant solution I've seen is just a single small speedo with built-in idiot lights from Mike's XS (in a thread right here in Modifications). The tach is electronic so you can replace it or not...

Lots of 750 Seca customs here in "Modifications"; see what others have done before you.

9. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Oh ya, I moved my horns down in front of the frame just behind the forks. There are a couple holes in the frame that works perfect to mount them there.

10. Ledicott96

Ledicott96 Member

Swapped the squire for the round on my 750, I think it’s a 9” lamp brand new went on no wiring modifications just had to shave a bit of the back (easy because it’s a plastic bucket) it’s a bit of a tight fit but as I said it fits.
    [​IMG]

11. zap2504

zap2504 Member

All right Ledicott96 - where did this bike come from? It definitely is NOT the rat 750 Seca you were working on last year (OEM gauges, different paint)! We want details (new discussion thread)! And where did you get a 9" round headlight?? 8O

12. Ledicott96

Ledicott96 Member

Therese not really much to discuses im afraid as it’s in fine running order and on the road! As for the head lamp it was from http://www.mandp.co.uk/ but maxim 750 and 650 lamps fit just fine make sure you get one with a plastic bucket because you will need to do a lot of cutting on the back. I am looking for a Yamaha TR1 head lamp for that bike as it’s a 10”.Therese not realy much changed since that pic apart from 140mph UK spec clocks and Avon tyers.

13. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The headlight on the bike in the pic is a 7" unit.

14. ryanismyname

ryanismyname Member

Hitting the old brake parts is not an issue: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=27633.html

As for the thefts, I used to live right on the edge of bad times. A colleague was killed less than a block from my house: http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/crime_ ... -baltimore

There was this group of punk kids that would alway screw with my bike. I had a disc-lock on it, but I guess they weren't familiar with them. Twice they tried to wheel it away and once the wheel locked up, they dropped the bike and ran. My housemate chased them the second time. The first time it fell on the right, and the brake pedal punctured the clutch cover. The second time they busted up the light, turn signal, and speedo.

These kids (and a lot of other Baltimore youths) are psychos. One time when I rode by they swung a baseball bat at me.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your input. And damn that's a cool looking Seca, Ledicott.

15. Robert

Robert Active Member

"They swung a baseball bat at me"
    Sounds like assault, I'd be sure to hit them the next time they try it.
    "But officer, I lost control when I got hit..."

Itsnotme1988 likes this.
  16. Ledicott96

Ledicott96 Member

Thanks for that complement Ryanismayname! As for those Kids you should have got a large group of you friends round for a few weeks in the evenings, wait till they come for your bike you all come in on them and get some heads cracked. And make shore they will never want to f*#k with you bike again, I that gont work there’s always guns.