1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Who hasn't put their bike to bed yet?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by mikeg, Oct 27, 2008.

1. vintagerice

vintagerice Member

Yup got mine out today too. Course I have not had the heart to put her to bed yet. Near 60 here today and overcast. Had the sun came out I bet it would have been close to 70!

Another gift from above today!

Rob

2. WesleyJN1975

WesleyJN1975 Member

It was 72 and sunny here in the garden state. So, I decided to put about 150 miles on the old girl today with some friends and may put much more on her tomorrow.

3. Galamb

Galamb Member

On Friday 13th drove to Port Dover. It was nice and warm. You wouldn't believe all the bikes that are on the road. The town was packed with bikes and even the cops did not anticipate the crowd, cause there were so few of them around. Got the saddle bags and a small tool carrier for next year.
    Now she sits in the garage and waiting for a major overhaul. Filled the tank again and added the stabilizer the second time. :)

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

rode the last several days w/ 28 degrees and frost, but the afternoons were nice. Went for a ride today, mid 60's. Put one bike to bed this evening, but rode the others and will still be riding this week. I just started preliminary work for the Intruder frame swap. That's my winter project after everything else gets caught up. (Or at least that's my winter project that will keep distracting me so nothing else gets caught up) L)L

Dave Fox

5. FinDuMonde

FinDuMonde Member

I live in Buffalo and plan to keep riding as long as possible. It's been easy with the nice weather the past couple weeks, but it's going to get bad soon.

I just got a windshield (plexifairing 3). Any recommendations for starting / running in cold weather? I have no experience with engines. Also I park on the street :(

6. kayaker

kayaker Member

Still riding here in Wis. My wife even took her bike to work today - so proud. I wore wind pants over my dress pants to get to work. Was out for an appointment over lunch and didn't need them. Suppose to get almost to 50 today. The ride home should be nice. Wife only has learner's permit and needs to be home before dark. This is a little tougher because it gets dark by 5:00 pm. I keep putting off storage, but soon.

7. bdc00

bdc00 New Member

Still riding strong here in the UK. Yes the weather is turning, but with a little rain gear all is well. Since May There has only been 4 days that I haven't ridden to work and that was do to battery issues. Its been a great year for ridding so far.

Let me give some thanks to Rickomatic for his help with my carbs. They are runnin sweet. Thanks Rick.

8. SecaRob

SecaRob Member

Well I would but these darn weathermen here in Cincinnati keep giving me 60+ degree weekends. Well, I guess I'll ride til thanksgiving if I have to :)

9. brianf408

brianf408 Member

rode it about a week ago, but since then it's been about 40 and rainy, with some snow last night. Doesn't look like she'll be out for a while, but it gives me good time to finish my rear fender work and figure out why my oil filter housing was spewing so much oil on the past few rides.

10. NJRIDER1

NJRIDER1 Member

got 6 bikes in the stable they are all winterized but definately not "put to bed" yet, i will probably be riding in december, in nj the temps are in the 60's i can't pass up days like that...so what if you burn off a tank with sta-bil in it i can get more of that stuff... if i'm not ridin' one i'm probably fixin' one up. fall riding is the best, cool wind in your face but not cold enuf for frostbite. :lol:

11. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Mines still outside ready to roll. It should be a nice weekend.

12. SecaRob

SecaRob Member

Well, they are predicting flurries here in Cincinnati towards the end of the week so after work this evening I washed the old girl, took her for a 20 minute ride pulled her in the garage and drained the fluids. Miss her already but looking forward to tearing the front off among other things.

Was a good season for me 3800 trouble free enjoyable miles

13. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

I put Ruby to bed yesterday. Stupid winter... Heres hoping for an early and warm spring lol

14. vintagerice

vintagerice Member

Vintage Rice is now bedded down for a long winter nap after a near 60 degree day here in New Hampshire. Forecast for the rest of the week in the upper 30's for a high and after a bit of excitement today I decided to park her.

Took her out for a ride today hoping to run the tank near empty as I have a lot of plans for the winter work including new paint etc.

At anyrate I ran completely out of gas in a bad spot. Luckily my wife came to the rescue with a gas can. Bike wouldn't start and I ran the battery down. No cables in her vehicle and I was in a bad spot, took the insurance off the bike and didn't have my licence on me. I was worried the boys in blue would come to my aid and discover my foolishness.

Thanks be to God at the final moment I managed to jump it and made a beeline for home. Washed her up and put her away.

Work slated for this winter... New brakes, new air filter, oil change, valve cover gasket, carb intake boots,paint, wiring work and polishing. Will be contacting Chacal real soon.

A sad day.. however I am amazed I managed to get a ride in December here in NH. 4 more months and should be riding again...ho-hum

Cheers :roll: Rob

15. motorduck

motorduck Member

I'm still going strong - to and from work. First snow today, though. Won't feel comfortable when it starts getting icy.

16. Phan10m

Phan10m New Member

Yea I thought about riding, then all of a sudden I check outside and see the little flakes on the gorund and went....well there goes that idea. I'm from Chicago also.

17. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

My whole stable is down now; I did manage to ride until well into November this year but it's dangerously cold now.

1400+ on the project bike for the season; about 5500 on the daily rider and no major issues with either. Only about 500 on the Nort but it needs work. It was a good season.

18. prosper

prosper New Member

I had mine out today but calling for snow in Virgina tomorrow. Might get a couple more days out of it since the weather is calling for slightly better next week..

Then again I need to do some minor stuff that I have been putting off.

19. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

It's OVER!

3 - 6 Inches of snow expected later-on!
    Moved the Bike to the back of the garage and rolled-out the SnoBlower.

I'm going to ColorTune the SnoBlower and see how she goes.

20. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Lawnmower, snow blower, kid's minibike, neighbor's snowblower...

darn thing's addictive, ain't it?