1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

why is riding naked so much fun?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by cheezehead, Jun 24, 2008.

1. cheezehead

cheezehead New Member

you know what i mean, no windshield! in the great north of wi, bugs and cold evening temps usually mean i have my windshield on. i took it off today, just too nice. i had my full face helmet on, and got nailed by several bugs on the way into work at 3pm. i find that i ride a lot more aggressively without the shield. the bike seems to handle better. it's like i'm more a part of the bike in corners. anyone else feel this way?

2. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

Went on vacation to Maine.
    No helmet law in NH or ME.
    So I did alot of in your face riding.
    I normally wear a 3/4 helmet so the wind in my face wasn't much different.
    I'm always one with the bike, but can see cornering improving.
    The main difference I found with no helmet was convenience.
    You need a pack of smokes, beer.
    Just jump on the XJ and take off.
    Was neat probably cause I don't get to do it often.

3. KAOS

KAOS Member

It was badass riding with you Mike up here in Maine. I feel like I'm all "closed" in. When I ride a bike with a windscreen n with a helmet on... I guess I'm sooo used 2 riding without 'em! :twisted:

4. Hillsy

Hillsy Member

We don't have the option of riding without lids in Australia, but even if we did I would still wear one. And a full face too....especially after rashing the chin-piece on one a few years ago...

You can never predict when it's going to all go wrong.....

5. Ease

Ease Member

+1

I can imagine it feels pretty free though.

6. Yamahamama

Yamahamama Member

I saw naked, I saw cheesehead, and I thought of course this guys from WI! lol

But, I have never ridden with a windshield and I am not sure I would want to. I already wear a full face helmet, for the unexpected even though I don't like it on those warm muggy days, so a windshield feels a bit like overkill. I don't get blown around all that much even on the interstate. Hell, it helps build those upper body muscles when you have to hang on tight! lol

7. yamason

yamason Member

Windshields are when its rainy and wet or when you are smokin a cigarette LOL

8. cheezehead

cheezehead New Member

i had a 77 goldwing with a vetter fairing on it. i smoked at the time, and it was not a problem on that bike. i was riding when it was 25 degrees out, warm as toast. but man, when it hit 90, the heat from the radiator would come straight up at you. i felt like i was a deep fried cheeze curd!! i'm thinking the windshield is going to stay off until the cold weather comes back this fall, or maybe next month, you just never know up here.

9. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

I like no sheild.
    But 99% of the time I wear a modular lid. You never know when it will go south.
    The 1% is when I lock the lid in someone else house and have no keys :oops:

Your upper will get some more workout @ >65mph

10. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

Agreed 70mph on the interstate I can't take for to long.
    Beats the hell out of you just hanging on.

11. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

I've ridden 2 bikes without windscreens at highway speedsfor about 20 minutes each. I LOVE my full Vetter fairing. Sure it sucks when it's 90 and humid (nearly that today), but it's great when it's chilly, rainy, or anything over about 50 MPH.

The only time I'm not full-faced ATGATT is on days like today when I'm at work and need to go to one of the other buildings. It's pretty much a gated community where the speed limit is 20MPH and if I took the time to gear up, I'd be better off walking. It IS nice to have those little leg stretches without the lid, but I've got to tell you with only one minor low-side in my past but SEVERAL nearly literal run-ins with idiot cagers, I can't imagine fighting the street fight without the bran bucket.

The beautiful thing about windscreen versus no-windscreen is that unlike oil choice, this one it TOTALLY personal :) To each his or her own.

12. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

I have ridden 260 miles to DFW with no screen @ >75mph
    And the 260 back 2 days latter, WORKOUT

And go the 100mile RoundTrip to Austin, TX almost every weekend.
    No problems yet. I guess you get used to it ;)

13. invader_gir05

invader_gir05 Member

I use a full face helmet now and its 1000% better at highway speeds that my half helmet was.

I have ridden a friends virago with a windshield and it just gets in my way honestly.

I prefer the look of a naked bike to begin with but the added discomfort of the windshield has sealed me into a naked bike forever.

I dont mind the wind and i quite often ride 75+mph on the interstate. Just lay down on the tank and take a nap.