1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Will not idle without the choke...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Adrian99, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Adrian99

Adrian99 New Member

So... I finally got my bike to start up and run!
    In order to get it to start and run I just have to give it a little choke (no throttle) and it starts right up. It will keep running and idle just fine as long as I keep the choke on. Even when it's warmed up if I try to take the choke off it dies... I'm sure everybody's thinking that the idle control screw just needs to be adjusted to move up the idle, but If I screw in the idle adjustment screw it kills the engine and will not restart as long as I have the idle adjustment screw giving it any throttle... When the bike is cold it will not allow me to give it any throttle or it will just die. Once it is warmed up I can rev it up as long as I have the choke on just a little bit. If while reving the bike I turn the choke off it wants to die...:(
    Any ideas where to start?
    Thanks!!

2. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

it's starving for fuel.

floats are too lean or you got plugged passages in teh carbs or fuel restriction to the carbs.

time for a carb and fuel delivery inspection.

check for vacuum leaks also.

3. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Good advice.

It's also possible you just have the idle stop set too low. You might try turning that up before you tear into the carburetors.

4. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

cept that he says the idle screw won't start the bike if he screws the idle in. and that it won't rev when it's cold.

5. Adrian99

Adrian99 New Member

Exactly Snowwy66, That's what's got me confused... Figured I better consult the experts...

6. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

:oops: Read too fast. Thought it said idle mixture screw. :oops:

7. Mr.Etobicoke

Mr.Etobicoke Member

It sounds like a vacumme leak to me....try to spray some carb cleaner around the carb boots and see if the idle speed changes.

Kenneth

8. Adrian99

Adrian99 New Member

I figured I'd better cake apart my carbs one more time and dig deeper into my choke and fuel mixture screws just to look for possble problems. I did find a problem on one of the brass caps that hold the choke needle in place. (I know my techy lingo is still lacking) The cap has a washer built into it which was broken off so it could not seal to the carb body. I'm sure this is causing some kind of problem. The pieces was just hand tightened into the place because the washer was broken off the main piece.

Does anybody know where I can get another on of these? I uploaded a picture of the piece to my pic gallery... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

9. Adrian99

Adrian99 New Member

Well I figured I should report that I figured out my problem... Kind of embarrasing... I took apart the carbs for about the 6th time in the last week and just slowed down to try to figure out what could possibly be wrong. I had a feeling it was something wrong with my pilot jet. Then it hit me, the floats were installed backwards by the PO!!! It was only only allowing enough fuel in the bowl to cover the main jet, and not enough to cover the pilot jet. This made it not able to idle w/o the choke. Now it all makes sense...