1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Windscreen

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by xjpensacola, Jan 14, 2014.

1. xjpensacola

xjpensacola Member

Has anyone found a windscreen that might fit a 1982 SECA 550. A PO has removed the front fairing. I would like to find something to help as it gets pretty windy a freeway speeds. Any one have any ideas. Having never experienced the bike with the front fairing does it break the wind enough at freeway speeds?

2. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

according to the forum members that have had the fairing your bike had, it just made the situation worse. I am guessing that most aftermarket screens work much better than the original.

CN

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

According to the magazine reviews, my own (and I'm sure the experiences of more than a few forum members) the original cowling/windscreen does indeed provide quite a nice "wind break" at highway speeds.

However, and this is again personal opinion (experienced based) it's so heavy as to adversely affect the handling of a bike that is otherwise nearly flawless in that respect. This opinion was shared by some of the magazine road tests of the time. My '81 came with the fairing; I put it back on (PO had it off) rode the bike and then took it back off and sold it. Others may disagree; but I'd rather have the handling and lose the silly 20lb cowling.

Here's the deal: the original handlebar is too tall and puts you up in the wind blast. The next time you're at highway speed, "hunker down" to the position a lower set of bars would put you in. You may discover something I learned a few years ago, which is the inherent "aero" of the bike with its instrument cluster and all makes a windshield unnecessary if you adjust your riding position to find the "quiet spot."

I'm an old fart. Seriously. And as such, I'm all about comfort; plus I LOVE to cruise at around 80mph. (Rural Michigan back roads.)

On this; it does not have stock handlebars and the seat has been recontoured:

[​IMG]

But yeah, the original fairing works if that's all you're looking for...

4. xjpensacola

xjpensacola Member

Big Fitz, That is a great looking bike. What kind of bar end mirrors are those. That is another problem I have, when I have a jacket on my shoulders block the view of the mirrors. I would like to find a nice pair of bar end mirrors. Yours look great, do they provide as good of view?

5. Wirehairs

Wirehairs Member

I have the original fairing on mine, and like it there, but mostly for the looks. The fairing aims the air blast right at your helmet, so indeed, it only increases the noise volume. Having driven it with and without the fairing, I have not experienced the difference in handling mentioned by others.

I don't really know of any non-stock fairing choices you might try. I have seen some bikes (like an XJ900 and FJ1100) with the stock fairing to which a larger, aftermarket shields had been added for more wind protection. If anyone knows who produces such custom windshields, speak up!

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Those are Napolean "Barenz" mirrors; a bit hard to find (they had some sort of distributorship issue in the States) but worth tracking down.

They are a tad more expensive than "cheapo" bar end mirrors off eBay, but they work VERY WELL. They are virtually "blur free" at highway speed and they stay put (hold adjustment) something that cheap mirrors often fail at.

That was how I solved my own "looking at my shoulders" issue.

7. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

8. burger

burger Member

I have a larger windscreen for my maxim and i don't like it. It seems to blow air at the top of my helmet and is annoying like Wirehairs mentioned his original fairing does. I would say for functionality get a huge windscreen or go naked