1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Winter Riding

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by gman, Sep 7, 2011.

1. gman

gman Member

Any die hards up here in the Great White North who will still be riding after the snow falls ?

2. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

As long as the roads aren't covered in ice or snow, yes. Actually road my XJ a couple of times in March when the snow was still flying.

3. inet101

inet101 Member

Fraid to say I am one of those too.......Short hops, roads have to be clear and the worse part is to take it real easy.....Tyres don't work for zip when its cold, people in cars are even more dense in the winter and mid-hi 30s really are not that enjoyable regardless how ya bundle up (IMO)....but, it beats waiting for spring if only for a short spin........... :D

4. project1

project1 Member

i ride daily in the winter...unless there's snow or ice on the roads. but PA doesn't exactly qualify for the great white north. this past winter i was riding at 10 degrees F at 75mph and had to stop after about an hour because my hands started getting too cold. got some new gloves for this year though! i enjoy winter riding...seems there's a lot less traffic on the roads that time of year. and without fail, at every stop, some idiot has to ask "it's a little cold to be riding isn't it?" to which i love to shut them up by responding "beats walkin' doesn't it?"

5. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Project....I'm also a year round rider but honestly, I don't think our measely 0-30 degree rides compare with the -40 to -80F they get up North....I don't have any inclination to ride in -40 degrees. I'm guessing by the time you realize that your fingers have gone numb, they'll fall off if you hit them against anything!!

BTW-wind chill has nearly ZERO effect over 45mph so once your over 45....there won't be any temperature difference to go 65.

jeff

6. mirco

mirco Member

I too ride as long as there is no ice or snow on the ground. It's funny, in Europe they have been doing this for as long as there have been motorcycles. Here in the States and in Canada there is a growing niche of riders that have turned to those Urals with the powered side cars for winter riding even in the snow.

7. doc2029

doc2029 Member

I am planning to ride my bike when possible this winter. Ice and snow will keep my in my cage. Also it might depend on how much salt is on the roads. I am guessing salt is a lot like fine gravel I can see how it could case issues in a turn. Though I could be wrong. It will be my first winter riding, wish me luck. I am pretty comfortable riding in monsoons. Rode all this week and it has done nothing but rain here in Richmond, Va.

8. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

I don't like being that cold lol. Anything under 10 Celsius and I don't go out.
    Evan 15 can be a bit cold, I don't like to have 4 layers of clothing on either lol.

9. gman

gman Member

Reading about winter bike rallies in Europe is what prompted me to ask this question.

I was born and raised in the north. If the roads are not slick, I will brave riding it in cold weather.
    I do not really see the difference in putting on a snowmobile suit and riding a sled in the cold or a bike. I have done both.

When I was in high school, a classmate would replace his front wheel with a home made ski and ride in the snow.

10. Durk

Durk Member

When I got my first bike it was in October, so by the time I got it road ready it was already winter, but I was excited to ride so I'd go out on some of the nicer days with snow on the ground.
    Now that I'm getting a fairing, I'm going to try to still make my 20 something mile commute to work until it starts snowing.
    I pass a guy on the way to and home from work on a GL1800 and he rides EVERY day, even in down pours.

11. doc2029

doc2029 Member

I work with a guy that rides everyday unless the roads are snowy or icy he rides, his motto for rain is it's only water.... One that I have adapted as well...

12. mirco

mirco Member

I have a 750 seca with the full touring package so it definitely helps to have the protection that a fairing offers once the air turns cold. Also, a pretty inexpensive cold weather outfit is simply a pair of insulated Carhartt Coveralls. I put them on over my armored jacket and I still have room to move. Plus, they make me feel pretty bulletproof - like if I go down I stand a fair chance of surviving to ride another day.

I often ride when the temperature is down around 25-27F in the mornings and I stay warm enough to make my 15 mile commute and arrive at work comfortable and ready to put in my shift. I think I would be good for about 20-25 miles if necessary. For the guys that are up around 40 miles I think that it may be pushing it especially without a fairing.

13. ken007

ken007 Member

gee we are lucky overhear in queensland australia,a couple of times ive not been able to ride because ive overlooked a part or correct part while doing some maintance,its comfortable here all year round, and with the radar technology in place for the weather i can usually sneak in a ride between downpours,the roads dry quick. :)

14. cruelhandchris

cruelhandchris New Member

I am not in the great white north, but we have been getting some bitch winters here in Missouri. I have ridden in snow, though I don't enjoy it. I have a couple dual sport tires on the way that fit the XJ, and plan to ride all winter. I work about 5 blocks away, and go to school across the street from my work, so not that big of a bitch commute.

15. parts

parts Member

Even though I live in Arizona, we are in the mountains
    and temps will hit the teens through most of jan-feb.
    at least at night. I work at night and early morn so I get
    it coming and going.

Ice will keep the bike parked of cource but otherwise I'm
    rolling.

16. wizard

wizard Active Member

Have you got any pictures of your 'wing, parts, I think they are awesome.

17. parts

parts Member

Not much to show yet wiz.

PO hacked it to pieces. I'll post pics as they come.

18. ColoradoDan

ColoradoDan Active Member

Colorado front range is great for winter riding. We can get 2 feet of snow in one afternoon in January and three days later it's melted and grass is sprouting underneath, with roads as dry as June. I just got my bike in April but I could have rode at least three weeks of every month last winter.

19. bluesdog

bluesdog Member

The white stuff, or that nasty so-called 'black' ice will keep me from riding. Cold itself doesn't stop me, I just wear thicker clothes 'neath the leather. I don't even mind the rain so much --- it's only water, and the bike cleans up nice later, 'cause it doesn't have a lot of Harley-esque chrome :)

I was riding this year starting March 17, which was when the ice finally melted from my long driveway. There were a few days when I rode in some snow and even hail, but luckily managed to avoid icy-ness.

My commute is only a 15-20 minute ride, but I won't risk it when the road gets slick 8O

20. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Doc, doesn't your bike run extra well in the rain? It's not just you, it really does run better and you will never be "closer with your bike" then during a long day of steady rain....I know it sounds weird but those of you that ride in all weather know what I mean.

BTW- I heard on the news that we (between Richmond and Philly) got between 12-15 INCHES of rain during Irene....and that doesn't even count the remenants of Stan!!

jeff