1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

WIP: Trucklite 27250C 7" LED DOT Headlight Real-Life Review

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Metal_Bob, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

My journey to the (LED) light side is nearly complete. 8)

I'm no author and I ramble a lot. My intent is to give an honest and real life picture based review of Trucklite's 27250C 7" LED DOT Headlight. At the same time I'm in no way associated with Trucklite or any of their vendors. That being said let the rambling begin... :wink:

- - - - - - - - - - - -

After reading about the LED headlights a while back, I started TRYING to find reviews and decent prices. Most reviews try to compare HID lights to the LED headlights. This did not really help me.

I upgraded from the Maxim's dim rectangle light to sealed 7" bulb when I installed my Windjammer Fairing. Then I almost immediately ordered a Euro style reflector/lens and H4 bulb kit with a 55/60W Bright White bulb. After finding a deal for the LED light, I pondered buying it for a few weeks. I acquired some "fun" money this winter and decided to bite the bullet and buy the bulb. The bulb just arrived today 01/24/2011.

Just to be clear, my Euro H4 bulb kit worked as expected. It had a narrower and whiter pattern than the sealed 7" bulb that came with my used fairing. My OCD-like tendencies, on-going LED conversion and the money burning a hole in my pocket led me to buying the Trucklite headlight. On a side note, I've ordered LED bulbs for my fairing's turn signals and only need to replace my rear turn signals (or bulbs) to be 100% LED lighted. (Thus my opening joke above).

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Because my fairing is removed for painting my initial testing today was limited to making sure the new light worked and take some color & daylight brightness comparison pictures. Weather depending, I may install a spare (and rougher) fairing and properly test the LED light before painting is complete. I don't know when that will be so bookmark this thread if you want to follow the review.

Initial Thoughts: Nice white color. The color and unique beam pattern should be noticeable to drivers during the day. As expected, light were at full brightness even when bike was barely idling around 1000 rpm.

Click on the thumbnail pictures below to read the comments for each picture.

NOTES: All pictures taken with choke open and 3000 rpm. I did my best to take comparative pictures at nearly the same angle/location. But I did not use a tripod (I used my cell phone today).

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

EDIT: Pictures taken around noon with a cell phone. No photo's were touched up. Only text was added. My real digital camera will take better pictures another day.

2. venlis

venlis Member

nice one, cant wait to see it on the bike! whats the draw?

3. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

Don't forget the night pics from driver perspective when you can.

4. DrPainsaw

DrPainsaw Member

what'd it cost you?

5. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Re: WIP: Trucklite 27250C 7" LED DOT Headlight Real-Life Rev

The only problem is that the light is so bright nobody will be able to see the paint on your bike! :lol:

6. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Re: WIP: Trucklite 27250C 7" LED DOT Headlight Real-Life Rev

5:30 PM Dusk and starting to snow and get colder again. Blurriness is because I'm using a cell photo that take forever to "snap" the photo.

NOTE: ALL PHOTOS TAKEN WITHOUT THE ENGINE EVEN RUNNING.

Light Source
    • 10 Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs)
    • Designed at 12.8v
    • 4.5a (High Beam)
    • 2.5a (Low Beam)
    Product Page

FYI:
    Halogen 55W / 12.8V = 4.3a
    LED 2.5a x 12.8 v = 32W -- LED -> 1.8 extra amps
    1.8a/19a *100 = 9.5% savings of "rated" amp for our XJs

First Dusk Impression: Nice and bright and good color. Can't tell anything about total throw distance or beam pattern YET.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

P.M. If you want the eBay seller's name. The "Best Offer Price" he'll actually accept is $20 off. The seller is about 2/3 of the average "retail" price and way under MSRP which is ridiculous. A quick google search should tell you the retail price. Another ebay search should find you the cheaper seller

EDIT: Adjusted math to match manufacturer's 12.8V rating.

7. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

High beam amps are pretty close using a 60W halogen aren't they. 4.5 for led and 4.7 for halogen (if I did the math right)

8. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Correct.

I personally don't use highs that often. I'm not THAT far in the country (and usually traffic on the roads).

MY reasons for LED include: Amp savings, color, cool factor, longevity, cool running lights, shouldn't need to worry about light dimming ALOT when braking and at stop signs and my 100% LED goal.

Toomanybikes likes this.
  9. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

The led on high may also be a ton brighter than a 60w halogen. If the low is at least comparably bright (from rider perspective) as the 55w halogen, which it appears to be, I would expect it to be brighter than a 60w when it is drawing nearly twice the amps it was on low. Keep up the good work I may be trying some of your led mods if i can find a seca to play with.

10. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

nice headlamp can you flag down planes with it. Nice and bright for sure i am sure your happy. If you could aim it a bit lower you could melt the snow and drive thru it lol Great job

11. DrPainsaw

DrPainsaw Member

looks cold there

12. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Minor Update:

After talking with TruckLite reps, apparently there may be something wrong with my light assembly. Depending on the model revision, I should have 5 or 6 light lit in LOW beam NOT the 7 I took pictures of. I'm awaiting an RGA #, address and UPS # for return/exchange.

I have been emailing Trucklite lately asking questions before and after my purchase. They have been very friendly and helpful so far. Most response are within 48 hours.

FYI: They do NOT recommend the use of a modulator, because the lights were not specifically designed for them.

13. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

I am running into that with my aquarium led strips also. They say leds do not burn out i have a set that partially did when you contact the vendor usually they look at you like your crazy. I am glad they are working with you

14. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Well I have been bugging them a lot lately :)
    Thankfully I have TOO many lit, not any burnt out yet.

Its hard to tell if leds burn out or the soldering and other components fail. Regardless WE can't just replace the bulbs. /shrug

15. Orange-n-Black

Couldn't tell by the pics exactly, how does the width of the beam compare to the halogen, not only to see but to be seen as well?

16. Orange-n-Black

Most of what I'm asking is how well can somebody see you? Have you ever looked at a led light from an angle? Usually not bright unless your looking straight on.

17. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

EDIT: In regards to your questions, this is EXACTLY why I'm posting this thread and why it is currently labeled WIP.

As I mentioned my bike is disassembled (well the fairing and luggage panels) and I wasn't planning on test riding unless it get nice out. (I'd toss on a spare fairing).

So at the moment I have no real idea about throw distance, visibility, brightness, etc other than the test pictures I provided.

This light assembly does have lens to aim/disperse the light and they are DOT approved. I will eventually do my best to document/photo/video the light pattern and oncoming view of the light.

I'm hoping the beam will compare to my Euro style H4 assembly I'm replacing which is narrower but more focused than DOT style.

- - - - -

P.S. I got my RMA # and shipped out my light to day. Hopefully I'll have a new one in about a week.

18. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Hey O-n-B,
    I just realized I forgot to post a few dusk pictures that may help give you some brightness ideas.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Keep in mind I used a cell phone, and digital photography of lit LEDs is not very easy to do.

19. Orange-n-Black

Anxious to see what you find out, just throw on a jacket and go for it you wuss....LOL I wouldn't go out in that either.

20. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

It was about 30F in the after noon and 25F or less and windy at dusk when I took those pictures.

I'll take more pics ASAP when I get my replacement light from Truck-Lite.

Weather permitting, I"ll back up the bike and try to get some beam pics.

- - - - -

Although I'm always skeptical of manufacturer's PR photos, I'll share this one anyways.

[​IMG]
    This was mounted on a HD I believe.