1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

wiring harness testing

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Labradorian_XJ550, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Labradorian_XJ550

Labradorian_XJ550 Member

Hello all....

I have tried searching through many posts about wiring harness to try and find a way to take the back-up harness for my bike and test the continuity of it. Does anyone know of a step by step process to check it? what does the multi-meter need to be set on for continuity???

2. JFStewart

JFStewart Member

Hi there, if you are using a digital ohmmeter, it should auto range. If not use the lowest scale for continuity. You are looking for no resistance ideally. Here is a schematic for your bike, use page 1. 2 and 3 are for the Seca. The colours in the picture are the colours of the wires. Before starting your test , touch the meter leads together and record the reading. Subtract that number from your test results. Just put one of the meter leads to one end of the wire and trace the wire by colour and connect the other lead to each terminal point that joins to the original wire. If the wire is ok, the resistance should be "0".

http://s974.photobucket.com/albums/ae227/Not_Mother/

3. Labradorian_XJ550

Labradorian_XJ550 Member

So i should set the meter to ohms, my lowest setting is 200, i assume that should be ok.... thanks for the info....

4. JFStewart

JFStewart Member

I assume from that information that your meter is an analog style. When you touch the leads together the needle should be on zero. If not there will be a knob or some other adjustment to zero the meter.

5. albran

albran Member

Can I suggest?

If you are having electrical issues with 1 or more circuits then you’re going to find some to A LOT of resistance on most if not all circuits.

When I got my 750 the only electric’s that worked were the charging sys, starter and the yellow turn lights on the console and a couple of the turn signals, BUT they would not blink. Most of the warning lights were on.

The first thing I do when I start one of these projects is to.
    1 Visit an auto supply or Radio Shack to buy some contact cleaner and dielectric grease.
    2. Take the seat, side covers, tank off and head light apart.
    3. Open EVERY connector and clean, grease and put them back together.
    4. Retest all lights, horn, brake lights, etc.
    5 Test and repair anything that still doesn’t work.

On the 750 the only things that didn’t come back to life were.
    Horn, trouble in handlebar switch, cleaned and adjusted contacts.
    Aux light trouble in handlebar switch.

One more thing, if you are having multiple WEIRED problems, check and clean the ground connection.

Good luck
    ab