1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wiring the Rectifier

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Maan, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Maan

Maan Member

Hi there.

I am currently trying to put back together a Burnt XJ550 Seca with a self built wiring. She's fired up right and I have almost everything sorted except the Rectifier.

I have 6 Wires on the Rectifier, 3 White, 1 Red, 1 Brown and 1 Black.

The ACG unit has 3 White Wires and the brushes have 2 Wires (do not specifically remember their color codes)

Now as far as I can figure out the wiring, the 3 Wires from the ACG need to be attached to the 3 White wires on the Rectifier (any white can go in any as long as the whites are connected) The Black needs to be Grounded while the Red goes in the Battery's +. Now if I have the above wiring correct I am left with 2 wires from the Brushes and 1 Wire left on the Rectifier. Do I need to attach the 2 Brush wires to the Brown wire together?

2. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

3. markie

markie Member

As above, follow the link and select your exact model. There should be TWO wires left - a BROWN which gets 12v from the ingition switch and a GREEN - I think this is called dark green on the drawing. The brown and green will go to the two brushes and this is how the regulator "Works" by varying the magnetic field via the brushes.

If one of these connections looks like it's missing, check that a previous owner has not wrenched the wire out!!!

4. Maan

Maan Member

The 6 mentioned color wires are what is on the rectifier only. No green wire is there nor is a sign of a alteration of wires. before the burning mishap the rectifier worked just fine too. I have 2 wires coming from the brushes, 1 is green while the other is brown.

5. markie

markie Member

Hope this works!
    [​IMG]

This is an xj550 rh, but this part looks the same as the other seca 550 s

The brown wire comes from the ignition switch to the regulator and to the rotor coil via the first brush. Brown and green are the brush wire colours.The other side of the rotor coil comes back through the second brush on the green wire which should go to the regulator/rectifier as shown. It is this wire which the regulator switches on and off to power the rotor field (And make an electro magnet).

1.= Alternator
    2.= Regulator

If the regulator came from a later bike - like a Seca II - it will not have a brown and green as the alternator uses a permanent magnet rotor.

Check this ebay link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-X ... ccessories
    I shows a green wire.

Mark

6. Maan

Maan Member

yes, the ebay picture does show a green wire, mine however does not have a green. Only 3 whites, 1 brown, 1 black and 1 red wire. Is there a way i could test and trial the acg and rectifier without blowing any of the 2? If so could you or anyone please specify how to wire the 2 up. I do not have a ignition switch wired as yet and I have a multimeter handy as well. Thanks!

7. markie

markie Member

[​IMG]

This will test the diodes on the rectifier. Be aware that the test was written for an analogue meter and if you are using a digital meter on the "Continuity" range, the meter will show the results reversed - but each diode should conduct in one direction only.

Which model EXACTLY is your bike and do you have a manual? If so, you can check the electrical schematic to make sure the colours are correct.

I could be wrong!

The green wire from the alternator must go somewhere to complete the circuit otherwise current cannot flow.

If you look at the picture of the alternator, you can see there are three coils arranged in a "star" (Called"Wye" in the US. This gives a 3 phase AC output but means you can only test pairs of coils.

Test wire 1 to wire 2, wire 2 to wire3 and wire 1 to 3. They should read equally - approx 4 ohms but check your manual for the exact accptable range - with NO reading between any of the white wires and the chassis or the motor (Ground). This will test the stator windings.

To test the operation of the regulator we need to find where the green wire goes!