1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wolf Bobber Build (pics)

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by CaptainTrap, Nov 4, 2010.

1. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

Fist of all Wolf is my last name i just thought it would be good to differentiate from a generic title...

I suppose this is a weak attempt at starting a build thread for my xj650 maxim bobber. The bike is a 1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim with 35,000 miles.

A quick briefing: I have done all the typical stuff such as strip all the old gaudy 80's flair from the bike. I have fully restored the gas tank, front brake caliper, master cylinder, tc bros drag bars, tx bros grips and throttle, la rosa seat 12" springer seat, awaiting hard tail chop this weekend.

Here is where it all goes down hill, i chopped out the stock airbox and installed pods but i left on the stock exhaust for the time being.

I took her out for the first time today. The initial run was glorious. We rode for about 45 minutes and she pulled hard the whole way. I was getting minor pops when i released the throttle which i was expecting anyway due to the leanness caused by the pods. After stopping for a burger she didnt want to start again, we jumped it and it fired up for about 2 miles until during cruising speed (55mph) she started slowing down and eventually stalled. I towed her home. Man was it cold today.

I am planning on rebuilding the carbs but will determine their condition after i rejet. The carb rebuild will take place this winter. I am reading through all these threads of pods and rejetting and finding soo much good information.

In the mean time is there a pods sticky or faq that centralizes all these pod threads? I think it would really help everyone in finding information. I feel like every time i use the search i am bombarded with a new volley of loosely connected threads. In the meantime here are some pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one is a pic from today...yeah thats my plate in my bag what of it???
    [​IMG]

2. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

wow, hahah. the plate in the bag is classic. I'd love to see you explain that to a cop here in PA. it would be funny. Nice looking chop so far.

3. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

There's not because every bike is different. Some put pods on and do nothing to the carbs and report a fine runnning machine. Others struggle to find the right tuning.

Nice looking build. Take a look at your plugs. Any Silver specs?

Before you get to tuning with jets make sure your carbs are clean, all the way clean, and your valves are in spec. Otherwise you'll be wasting your time changing jets.

Also get your exhaust sorted prior to beginning your tuning as this will also have and effect.

4. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

Sound advice about the exhaust. Ill take care if that next week. I was gonna go with 4 to 2's with baffels and tapered ends.

Does anyone have any advice as to why she stalled while cruising? Also during the jump the battery started boiling, i could see bubbles rising within the plastic. After i disconnected and reconnected it stopped.

Thanks,
    Travis

5. iwingameover

You're probably over charging the battery if it was boiling.

What did you jump it with? If you provide it too many amps you can fry it too.

6. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

It was wih my buddy's cbr 600.

As for the stalling, it seemed like it wasnt getting fuel but it rode fine for an hour prior to stopping. I did just rebuild the petcock but died on the on position as well as the prime position.

7. iwingameover

What do the spark plugs look like?

8. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

They were brand new before the first ride yesterday. Ill takr them out and post pics when i get home around 1pm today. Thanks for the help

9. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Test the flow of the petcock into a container. That also tests the vent in the cap. A Russian Race Horse should come to mind.

Put some shotgun shells in the frame ends !!

If your bike ran fine then ran bad, the problem could even be electrical components getting hot, but most likely, something's up in the carbs.
    How does it run when cold??

10. iwingameover

If his battery is boiling he maybe fried something else as well. That just came to mind.

11. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

I boiled for 10 seconds and stopped as soon as i disconnected jumpers then reconnected and it stopped. I will also test petcock when i get home. How do i test on position if the bikes not on? Gas cap vents are good, it leaked gas whenbi flipped the tank upside down when removing

12. iwingameover

Turn it to PRI and fuel should run out. If you have a vacuum pump you can draw a vacuum on the vacuum line and test it in the on/res positions. Alternately grab the vacumm line from teh valve and use it like a straw. If you taste gas your petcock is leaking into the vacuum line.

13. schooter

schooter Active Member

yep, check valve clearances and have your exhaust already on that you want, so you have a as close to new engine as possible as well as the exhaust you will be running so you can tune them to it

14. waldo

waldo Member

Capn my my kinda guy. Bikes in the HOUSE !!!! Bikes looking good

15. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

Ok guys, i checked the petcock. Prime flows freely. Reserve flows when i suck on the vacuum tube. On does not flow when i suck on the vacuum tube. Does it require more suction than i can provide with my mouth? I just rebuilt the petcock the other day using the aftermarket kit supplied by chacal. Doesnt reserve and on operate using the same vacuum system? Also i did not taste gas while sucking on the vacuum line.

Also I checked all four plugs. please see pics and tell me what they tell you. thanks.

Plug # 1
    [​IMG]

Plug # 2
    [​IMG]

Plug # 3
    [​IMG]

Plug # 4
    [​IMG]

16. iwingameover

Your fuel valve should use the same ammount of vacuum both on and res. So you've got a problem there.

Plug #2 looks pretty good. 1,3 and 4 are either rich or you're burning oil. Have you done a compression check on that motor?

at the last carb clinic I did with a couple guys from here we had 1 plug look like 1,3 and 4 and the cylinder only had 100 psi compression while the other 3 where in the 140's. You may have 3 weak ones and one strong one.

17. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

i will run a compression test asap. I will also remove the petcock and inspect the problem with the on valve. Any idea what that could be? clogged? the tank has gone through the three step POR 15 process and it is fresh gas so i dont see how it could be clogged.

18. iwingameover

How's the filter screen on it look? The white or yellow/orange tower depending on it's age. Maybe the ON section is plugged. I've yet to take my petcock apart so I don't really know on that.

19. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

Filter is brand new

20. strat

strat Member

looks like 1, 3, and 4 are pig rich. 2 is borderline lean (although it may just be the coloring on my computer screen.)