1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

wont idle but sometimes it will..

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by xj700newbie, May 13, 2016.

1. xj700newbie

xj700newbie New Member

I got a xj700 thats been sitting up for three years. . drain the old gas out of the tank and carburetor. . it running. .but sometimes will idle and sometimes it wont..also I took it down the highway ..it runs good untill I get over about sixty then it starts to act like its running out of gas..I was just wondering about the the shutoff if the diaphragm pumps the gas or it just opens that valve to let gas into carbs..thanks and suggestions on it could be ..I believe the dang carbs are acting up..thanks..

2. JHM

JHM New Member

I beleve the petcock diaphragm is the same as my 650, its a valve rather than a pump.

I think you are right about the carbs needing attention. Yours sat about as long as mine, i had to do a complete carburetor clean to get up and running. Someone will provide a useful link for you shortly i am sure.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You have much to do. Begin by reading.
    The Information Overload Hour

Since it has sat, assume that everything needs inspected and tended to.

Nuch likes this.
  4. xj700newbie

xj700newbie New Member

i went and test driving highway and again..it has all kind of power but when let off to cruise at a certain apeed that when it tends to be acting up..i gonna trybs r and the spark plugs and see if that helps..otherwise ill have to pull the carbs and check them..thanks

5. k-moe

It's not the spark plugs.

6. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Pull the carbs....if bike sat for awhile the crap gas we use today gums up the carbs quick. You could try seafoam give it a hotshot run tank to about 1 gallon pour half a bottle in tank run engine for a short distance. Stop engine let it sit for 30 min , go fill tank pour rest of bottle in the tank.

7. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

8. xj700newbie

xj700newbie New Member

thanks everyone..i got the carbs cleaned up now ..now just trying to resync the carbs and it seems to be running much better .. any instructions on how to sync the carbs while its running...i watch a few videos but nothing on a correct procedure to what to do..thanks

9. k-moe

Match #1 to #2, then match #4 to #3, then match the two pairs to each other. You will need to adjust the idle speed occasionally as you bring the throttle plates into synch.