1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

WTB: Master Cylinder for '82 750 Maxim

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by 750MaximSeattle, Oct 7, 2011.

1. 750MaximSeattle

750MaximSeattle Active Member

Need one in good working condition and mirror mount with good threads. Black finish...I believe the same as '83 Maxim

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Is yours damaged?
    A Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit comes with all new guts.

3. 750MaximSeattle

Yes, it's damaged. The window is bubbled out and cloudy.

4. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Xj4ever (user chacal) sells rebuild and window kits.

Fyi: most used mcs will probably need to be rebuilt and will have cloudy window...

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

The "Cloudy Window is an E~Z Fix"

You can get either a Flat or Domed Watch Crystal that is a PERFECT Fit.
    I believe the place is "TimeSavers"

www.timesavers.com

Then, ....

"The Old School Method"
    Replacing Site Glasses with Watch Crystals
    by: Rick Massey
    All rights reserved.

I mixed some regular 5-Minute Epoxy. I used the narrow ends of toothpicks (many) to place the small amount of epoxy behind the crystal. [It was more like a "smear" than it was a bead.]

The outside sealing got done by placing a partial drop of epoxy at the edge. Tossing the toothpick that was used to apply the epoxy and using many other toothpicks (I had a half-dozen between my lips) to "drag along" the freshly mixed sealant taking advantage of its slow capillary action.

I used a bunch of soda cans and shot small amounts of UN-mixed epoxy on the concave bottom of the can. Then, when the epoxy you are working with just begins to "Pull" ... shitcan that mix and blend yourself one of the UN-mixed ones you have lined-up.

Once you have the sealing bead all around the new CRYSTAL ... take full advantage of it being crystal and shape the epoxy around the inside diameter of the window.

Use your little finger moistened with "Good Old-Fashioned Spit" (saliva) to make a nice looking finish ... like a glazer would do on a window.

Clean-up BOTH the Crystal AND the shape of the seal with lacquer thinner.
    Use old, cotton, T-shirt cloth and moisten the cloth stretched tightly about your finger. Closer to "Damp" than "Moist"

The lacquer thinner will clean the glass off anywhere you might have goofed while simultaneously helping you apply a really fine-looking bevel on the epoxy around the glass.

If it isn't crystal or glass and you touch it with lacquer thinner; you'll be back to Square One, immediately.
    - 30 -

6. 750MaximSeattle

Great info, however I should have also mentioned the threads for the mirror mount are stripped. I'll need to replace it.

7. bluesdog

bluesdog Member

Permatex thread repair kit