1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

xj 550 forward controls question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by rigsby1, May 22, 2008.

1. rigsby1

rigsby1 New Member

I was wondering of someone could tell me if the frame on the xj 550 and xj650 are the same. I want to get a set of forward controls from tc bros and they told me they weren't for sure that they would retrofit. They look the same from the pics on thier website. I really don't want to have to do any fab work if I can avoid it.

2. jafrance

jafrance Member

This is something I have been considering as well, being that I am 6' 7".

3. Broke_Dirty_Maxim

Broke_Dirty_Maxim Member

Have you tried comparing part numbers and seeing if they are the same? If you go to cheapcycleparts.com or other websites that sell OEM Yamaha parts, they utilize the official Yamaha "microfiche" with part numbers for all the different models. Matter of fact, you can find the same feature on the Yamaha website.

4. Jim_Vess

Jim_Vess Member

The frames are not the same.

5. bpberk62

bpberk62 Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=47.989922+-
    I've been considering this also. Maybe someone out there has made a set and is willing to share with the rest of us what they had to do.

6. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

The mounts coming off the front engine mount bolts are just plate steel (or aluminum) with a brace between them so they don't bend when braking hard. That's the easiest part of fabricating the forward controls.
    The rest is just getting the shifter and brake control arms mounted and hooking them up with the proper length rods. That's the part that takes time. It not a hard as it looks to fabricate your own controls. I've found it quite fun to make my own and will do it again on another bike I'm sure.
    I don't have photos to post, so sorry about that. I just copied the idea from other bikes (Honda Shadow, Harleys, etc.) I'd make them and sell them if I had the time...but I don't. PD

7. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

8. Anthony14

Anthony14 Member

Now those are some nice forward controls!

9. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Yes, if you notice the plates that are mounted to the front engine bolts can be made in many different configurations and lengths to get the controls as far forward as you need them. Just make sure they clear the front wheel when you turn it!!!

10. Anthony14

Anthony14 Member

Ya, that would be bad lol. I want to make a set to put on my bike soon as I am pretty tall and the mid controls kinda suck.

11. mikeg

mikeg Member

Maybe it's because it's what I'm used to but I was having a conversation about mid controls vs forward controls with a co-worker the other day. I like being able to tense uup my thighs when I'm coming to a bump. He was saying that he has to pull himself up by his handlebars. I suspect some forward pegs would be nice for long highway rides though. I guess one day I may have to try some forward controls to see what the appeal is.

just my 2 cents,
    mikeg

12. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Yes Mikeg, there is that. You won't be able to raise yourself off the seat as easily when coming to a bump in the road, but can still pull yourself up from the seat with the bars. I've done it a few times when I noticed a pothole that I was unable to avoid at the last minute.
    The riding position (for me) is so much better than having my legs/feet under me with the stock pegs location, I would never consider going back to that. I never got into the whole crotch rocket seating position as it is way too uncomfortable on long rides for me. It's meant for racing as far as I'm concerned.