1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

xj 550 maxim 1982 drive sprocket modification

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by darode, Apr 8, 2011.

1. darode

darode New Member

I am looking to chage my ratios to bring the rpms down at speed. i know standard is 16/45. i would like to go to at least 17/44 or possibly as far as 17/42. i am a very small rider ( 120 lbs) and do not need low end zippiness I also do not like riding in town in fourth and fifth gear and the buzziness at highway speeds.
    I have not been able find sprockets of this size. does anyone know where they could purchased?

thanks, david

2. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

EBAY.

3. darode

darode New Member

tried there. no luck.

4. workingonit

workingonit Member

I would contact Chacal He will likly have what you need.

5. BAREfoot

BAREfoot Member

i just did the same.. went into my local moto-cross shop and ordered up a 17 front, 44 rear.. haven't tried it out yet but should add a little grace at top gear...

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

David; Changing ratios isn't going to drastically change the gearing enough to change having to run in 4th or 5th in town, etc. Doing the change you're suggesting will lower your RPMs at highway speed slighly, but it will require you to run in possibly even lower gears in town.

The thing with the 550 being a 6-speed with a motor that likes revs means a more "energetic" riding style. You have to ride them like a 2-stroke; rev the bejabbers out of them and keep the RPMs up in the "happy range" by running in the lower gears. It's a "racebike for the street" and it does take some getting used to the riding style.

Buzziness at highway speed can be greatly eliminated by getting the bike tuned well; they buzz real bad if the carbs aren't sync'ed.

I would recommend changing the front first, see if you like what it did for the bike and if you want to take the same effect further.

Chacal should be able to help you with sprockets, I think 17/44 is as tall as you're going to find for the 550.

Get a new chain while you're at it.

7. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Before you bolt everything up and start riding make sure there is adequate clearance between the chain and side case. I have a different bike than this, but when I went up 1 tooth in the front I had to dremmel the inside of the case for clearance. It wasn't much, like 1-2mm, but if I wouldn't have done it, it would have chewed things up.

8. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

He'll be ok with the 17T, and anything bigger isn't available.

9. yamamann

yamamann Member

Bigfitz52 - you answered exactly what I needed to know - 1982 XJ550RJ can replace 16T with 17T front without any problem - new standard 45T on back and chain to drop RPM's on highway - have purchased Syncpro - compression GAUGE (sorry Canada lol ) and fabricated YICS shut off tool to tune to spec - all I need now is for the foot of snow outside to melt - figured I would sink a little more money into the old girl ( she has 38's I mean she has 38,000 miles on her lol )
    thanks again

10. Pazalas

Pazalas Member

11. XJPilot

XJPilot Member

Yamamann, Where are you at in Ontario? I wanna see what we can do about getting some XJ riders up to Port Dover for April 13!

12. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

I've got a feeling that he's from Ontario California, not Ontario Canada.

13. zombiehouse

zombiehouse Member

He is definitely in Ontario, Canada. It never snows in Ontario, California.