1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ 550 with GSXR750 front end

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Reed7742, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Reed7742

Reed7742 Member

Hey All,

Just figured that I'd post a few pics of my 550 with a gsxr front end on it. I found a complete front end, including triple, forks, wheel, brakes, and clipons for $180, so I figured, why the hell not. It was a pretty easy swap. I ended up going with a 04 636 clutch cable and it fits almost perfectly. The only part that I needed to buy were All Balls bearings for it.

Attached Files:

Dustin Trent, Franz, Jetfixer and 4 others like this.
  2. specialk

specialk Active Member

That's Fantastic! I'm definitely going to considering doing something like that to my xj550 as well. How does it handle/stop in comparison to the stock configuration? What year gixxer was it off of?

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Nice swap. I like that it just needed cables and headstock bearings to work.

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Moar details, please!

5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I'm sorry.... I'm just not seeing what's supposed to be so cool about a terribly mismatched from end.

Brent NZ likes this.
  6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Fully adjustable forks. Compression, rebound, and spring preload, all without taking the forks apart. Perfect for club level racing.

Reed7742 likes this.
  7. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

plus newer and likely more servicable parts, better brakes etc.. and it's fun.

Reed7742 likes this.
  8. Jared

Jared New Member

Im looking to do the same swap what was involved other that the obvious of buying forks and wheel and whatnot? Did you have to press your stem into the gsxr triple trees?

9. Reed7742

Reed7742 Member

Hey,
    Sorry for the late reply. I posted this, got busy, and forgot about it lol. I THINK that it's from an '04 special edition. I was originally looking for a 98-99, as that is a pretty common swap, but I found this one super cheap and decided to jump on it. It handles fantastic. I can push corners a lot more aggressively than I could with the old setup. That being said, I really needed a new tire, so the increase in handling could be because of the new meaty rubber up front.

The GSXR stem worked just fine. That's why I decided to jump on it. I did have to have the old GSXR bottom bearing pulled and the new All Balls needles pressed on, but that was like $20 at a local shop.

With the new dual brakes, I can stand it on its nose. It is MUCH better than the stock setup.

10. specialk

specialk Active Member

Thanks for the response, it sounds like a worthwhile upgrade for the future. I'd probably try and put some clip on risers if I were to go this route though because the clip ons in your picture look really low

11. a100man

So, something like this is a common swap for an XJ550 - I never knew that. Hmm that one's not too far from me...

12. Reed7742

Reed7742 Member

It isn't horrible to ride, but I haven't had a chance to put any real miles on it. Everything has been <100 miles or so. I've thought about going with some aftermarket clipons that have a little bit of a riser on them, but 50mm clip ons are almost expensive as the whole swap was lol. I have rearsets sitting in my garage now, but I don't have the tools to machine a new bracket because I didn't like the position when they were on the passenger peg mounts. That would improve the actual riding position a lot and I'm not sure that I'll need risers if I can stretch out just a little bit.

I'm not sure about that one. My forks are inverted, so it's different from those.

http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion

That is a fantastic tool to use to try and find a compatible swap. The main reason that I went with the one that I did was that the stem is the right length. Cognito Moto has some parts that can be used as well, and they'll machine you a stem/triples for whatever application that you might need.

13. Reed7742

Reed7742 Member

One thing I should mention. The speedo sensor was moved from the front hub to a transmission on the year that the donor forks were from. I've been using a phone mount and GPS speedo and it seems to be working. If anyone knows of an inexpensive GPS speedo, please point me in that direction.

14. a100man

Precisely this. Even if you swap stems to get the 'correct' length you can still be screwed by the thickness of the yokes/trees - ask me how I know ?

Reed7742 likes this.
  15. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

How do you know this? :)

16. a100man

Well, I'm pleased you asked ;). Fitting a GS500 with a DR650 front end I figured stem swap would be the fix. BUT lower yoke/tree on DR650 is much thicker and as a result you get less stem protruding up into the headstock. The solution will be to disassemble what I have again then ream/mill/turn a recess/rebate into the bottom DR650 yoke/tree to 'raise up' the stem...
    But that means begging another go on a press and getting a machining favour sorted. Hence I'm back on the XJ...

17. Reece

Reece New Member

Thats sweet looking ride you have there and in the process of doing the same with my xj900 with a zx6 front end but i would like to find somehow to keep the stock wheel.

18. pygmy_goat_

pygmy_goat_ Member

What are the rear shocks? Sorry if you've already answered that elsewhere.

19. Reed7742

Reed7742 Member

They're eBay specials that I had a guy rebuild before I threw on. I would reckoned getting them rebuilt before throwing them on. They seem to work really well though.

20. SlowSilver

SlowSilver New Member

Well this looks a little familiar, stumbled upon this today and decided to pull the trigger!

Attached Files:

jayrodoh likes this.