1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ 650 Maxim gas tank

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by mrose1, Nov 24, 2010.

1. mrose1

mrose1 New Member

I bought an all stock 1982 650 Maxim this spring and I love it; but this winter I'm hoping to do some work on it and possibly giving it more of a cafe racer look. My gas tank is a little beat up and I was going to get it re-done this winter but I was wondering if a gas tank from a Seca would be compatible. I like the look a little more than the Maxim tank. Any help or ideas would be awesome. Thanks!

2. mrose1

mrose1 New Member

this is also my first bike

Attached Files:

3. buzzkillg230rc

buzzkillg230rc New Member

I'm wondering the same thing. I just picked up a maxim this morning, it has 3k miles on it.

4. day7a1

day7a1 Member

I haven't personally tried it, but apparently the tanks from all '80-83 XJ 650 or 750's, Seca or Maxim, will interchange without modifications.

According to chacal though, the seca tanks look a little funny on maxim bodies, so be careful before you drop the $$.

Putting a 750 tank on a 650 will give you 0.9 gallons more, and they look better too.

5. KA1J

KA1J Member

Welcome to XJBikes, you'll find a tremendous amount of information & help here.

The maxim has a different shaped tank than the Seca. While you might get it to fit, the Seca tank fits the line of the Seca but not the Maxim. Same thing the other way around, A Maxim tank would not look good on a Seca.

I have dents on my 82 XJ650 Maxim and am going to repair the tank & paint it this winter with paint from Chacal. If you go to the main Forum page here: http://xjbikes.com/Forums.html you'll see at the top a link to "XJ4Ever - Supporting Vendor". That's Chacal, there's a wealth of great info on that page & he has a marvelous supply of parts for your XJ650. Click on the link: XJ MAXIM, SECA, AND TURBO PARTS CATALOG and you'll find plenty of parts for your bike, just about everything there you'll need.

The XJ650 Maxim is a really fine bike, you're in for a lot of fun!

6. mrose1

mrose1 New Member

Awesome, thanks for the help Day and KA1J! I'm new to this site as of today and I can see already that it is going to be very helpful

7. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Welcome, I think the problem with the Seca tank is that little notch in the rear sides. Search the forums archives because someone on here converted an older Honda tank to fit for that Cafe look.

8. buzzkillg230rc

buzzkillg230rc New Member

Thanks for the welcome's and the info..I'm gonna try to fire up the bike in a few minutes here as the battery died on me yesterday from cranking.

9. luxio

luxio Member

hi all, i would like to transform my xj900 in a cafe racer and i have in mind some modifications. Is the maxim tank compatible with xj900? thanx

10. RoadRash

RoadRash Member

Have the same project with the same questions. Best that I can tell, the tanks will interchange, but I'm guessing the stock side covers will no longer work after the swap, due to the difference in the back of the tank, especially those tabs on the SECAs. Not a problem for me. I'll just re-fab some new, custom sides. In the event that I can't locate a SECA tank, I've begun filling in the stock tank's emblem bracket areas and doing a re-fin on it. that way I hope for the best, but I also plan for the worst.