1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ 750 82 Weak , no power

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Slitarn, Oct 25, 2024 at 6:37 AM.

1. Slitarn

Slitarn New Member

Hello Everyone!
    I took over my fathers xj750 1982 europemodel that had been sitting for at least 10 years.
    Leaking fuel and everything so I started with tank , changed peacock and all hoses. Cleaned tank.
    Ordered a carb kit from Taiwan, looked ok.
    ( only choice from Sweden)
    Cleaned carbs with soaking, mechanical and ultrasonic. I will say I cant do more. CoC.
    Set fuellevels wet in spec.
    Comp test 110,120,120,120
    Checked valves, some exhaust were tight, now in spec.
    Coils in spec.
    Timing seems to line up fine.
    New spark plugs. ( several times)
    New Shaftseals carbs. ( Hitachi)

Bike had #43 pilot jet and #120 main , the Taiwankit only had #43 and #122 , but its 4-1 system , stock filter so I guess its not totally wrong to step up.

Now to the issue:
    Its starts really easy, cold as warm.
    But as soon you touch the throttle it bogs down and dies if you try more.
    If I use the ”choke” and plays with clutch I can get away but its weak and hesitates.

This tells me its starving for fuel, but sparkplugs are also really black(dry) . But it might be that I’ve mostly idled in garage..not really running it…
    Ive used colourtune and it looks good.
    Ive synched carb without ycis tool, but its not to far away.

Ive no more ideas, for me it feels like it at least would run ok.

Long text but important to tell whats done.

Help is needed…‍ before I melt it down…..

2. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

I wonder why you would replace jets? Clean them, put them back in. The numbering in the Taiwan kit may not be accurate and there is no need to replace a 120 with a 122 anyway, unless the book calls for a 122.

3. Slitarn

Slitarn New Member

They had a lot of this green stuff from old fuel and was really hard to get ckean, one of them was ” corroded ” so when I saw the new ones it felt better . But I think I actually swapped them one time with the OEM ones but it was the same …
    It feels like something else , could ” one size” really make this difference?
    Just by putting a needle inside jet I can confirm that 122 (Taiwan) is slightly bigger than OEM 120.
    So OEM doesnt feel drilled.

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

There are little tip cleaners that you can pick up for your carbs. I have found that even with sonic cleaning, it will never get the jets as clean as they need to be. Don't forget the small jet in the bowl, that one is sometimes hard to get clean. It needs to be clean to have the bike start and run the way it should.

B12 chem tool works really good for getting the green stuff off the parts. I don't know if you can get your hands on some there, but it really is great for brown and green junk in the carbs. Just make sure you keep it away from all the places that have rubber, the throttle body area that moves the flies is a place not to spray from inside or out.

https://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-C...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583657826282753&psc=1

5. Slitarn

Slitarn New Member

Thanks, this feels like a good idea..
    I’ll try to get this !
    In the end it might not be enough cleaned…

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Are you allowing the engine to warm up before touching the throttle?