1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ rear wheel swap-does a maxim wheel fit with no drama ?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by petemg69, Dec 18, 2011.

1. petemg69

petemg69 New Member

Hi

New to this forum, and was just wondering, I have an XJ550 4V8 and i'm thinking of doing a low cost bob job and wanted to start by fitting a 550 maxim back wheel to it, does anyone know if this is a straight swap or whether I need to get maxim swing arm spacers or maybe a complete maxim swing arm ?, what i'd like to do is have a rear mudguard mounted tight as possible to the rear wheel with the rear braces running off the spindle spacers and the bottom mounts for the guard slotted so the whole guard moves with the wheel as the chain is adjusted, and maybe hiding the rear mounts behind the shockers to help keep the lines clean, just wondered if anyone could help with advice on the rear wheel swap,

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this

2. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Welcome to the site !!
    IIRC - - the Maxim and Seca had different size brakes, so you need the backing plate, brakes and rim. Same axle and bits.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

TIME is right; the rear brakes are a different size so the whole brake assembly needs to swap, not just the wheel. The swingarm is common to both bikes.

You may need the RH axle spacer from the Maxim too, I'm not sure. (The fiche is currently misbehaving for me so I can't check.)

4. petemg69

petemg69 New Member

Many thanks for the advice, getting parts together now, hope to get some progress pics on soon as there's something to report, and I've figured out how to upload to the site :)