1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

- XJ Storage

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by RaCCoonRoCkStar, Aug 18, 2014.

1. RaCCoonRoCkStar

RaCCoonRoCkStar New Member

Hey...
    Been getting some road time in on the XJ & noticed that storage is a bit of an issue. Even for just little things. I was wondering what others use as far as lil compartments (preferably water proof) for riding. Even if just to hold reg/insurance & a few tools or rain gear, etc...

Anyone have pics or links or examples of what they use?

- Eric

2. Tcorbitt0608

Tcorbitt0608 Member

I have a fork bag I bought at walmart, and a set of ugly saddlebags i picked up at a yard sale for bucks, i'll post pics when i get on my phone later

3. Tcorbitt0608

Tcorbitt0608 Member

Saddlebags are ugly but work

Attached Files:

4. Tcorbitt0608

Tcorbitt0608 Member

Made a custom bracket for my signals to move them further back but they were also in the taillight housing and broke out. So either way had to move them

Attached Files:

5. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

I have my reg/insurance in a zip-lock bag tucked away in a compartment behind the right side cover on my 700. I had Tour Master bags at one time that were reasonably water-tight and they came with rain covers (which I never used.) But they didn't take sliding down the pavement very well (and neither did I, but that's another story.) With my new bags when it rains, things get damp.

6. Tcorbitt0608

Tcorbitt0608 Member

I always keep owners and insurance cards in a ziplock in my fork bag, also keep a flathead screwdriver vise grips tire gauge and a roll of electrical tape just in case.

7. RaCCoonRoCkStar

- Tcorbitt0608 I like the rear turn signals like that...
    Are XJs usually pretty compatible with any type of directional you want? The saddle bags are ok... I'm trying to avoid them but I'm seeing that I may have to get them.

I was looking for a bad that sat either on the side of the bike closer to under my but they seem to get in the way. Fork bags I have to look into.

I never thought about popping off those rear side covers and using that for storage...

8. Tcorbitt0608

Tcorbitt0608 Member

Thanks I made them out of a couple of those exhaust hangers from the parts store i work at

9. som1somwhere

som1somwhere Member

i've been using my waterproof backpack and just bungee cording it to my bike. works like a charm

10. RaCCoonRoCkStar

- Do you have a link/info for the bag?

11. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Most XJs have a little plastic "document tray" somewhere; often on the bottom of the seat pan. Best place for the insurance and reg; only you know it's there.

On the 550 Secas, we have under the seat (tool tray) plus a nice little space in the tail section that even came with a snap-in zippered pouch. Between there and the tool pouch, I've got everything necessary to deal with a roadside emergency plus my cargo net and bungees. (Never know when you might have to lash a 6-pack to the luggage rack.)

For commuting and running errands, I use a small magnetic tank bag.

12. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

13. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

I use a sissy bar bag. It slips on and off without me needing to strap anything down. I needed something big because I need to be able to carry a laptop for work, my personal one and school books. I got this one from Amazon, it looks like it isn't available now, but they sell some similar ones as well. It also holds a full 30 pack of cans!